change the tone of you guitar (the current one seems out of place), the backing music is kinda cool, half way in the improv or something like that you seem to stray from a kind of working sound and go to playing your normal style, i hear alot of cliche licks that would go over this, fix some bends, create some nice sounding phrases, it was ight 6/10
sounds sick!! youve got a nice tone. can't really think of any criticism.. but whered you get the backtrack?
Quote by RabbidWolf
Well title pretty much sums it up. I just learned the harmonic minor scale like 5 min before I did this little improvisation. I thought the mood of the scale matched the track pretty well. Well, give me some constructive criticism?

http://www.fileden.com/files/2007/10/1/1475545/Slow_Burn%20Harmonic%20Minor.mp3

I like it alot. *Saved*
From two years of playing.. wow, what'd you use in this?
For sale
BC Rich Mockingbird Exotic Classic in Koa
Dean VMNT in Silver
Marshall TSL JCM2000 Head

PM For info!

My band
hey thanks khalil, i needed that. Yeah the bends... As I was doing it I was like "gawd!!"

This was played with an Agile AL 2000, through a Marshall MS-2 *the mini amp*. That amp sounds so terrible by itself but I put my BOSS GT-6 through it and it sounds halfway decent now.

The backing track is here http://www.mediafire.com/file/yotvommiiwn/Slow_Burn_BT.MP3
if you end up doing it you should post it on here, that'd be awesome man.
"My jedi powers are far more superior than yours"
^ really? thanks alot man, $200 guitar, $40 amp, $10 mic at walmart, free Audacity.

oh and a BOSS GT-6.

Yeah I'll check it out. again, thanks for the crit.
Ok gonna crit as I listen.

Very awesome BT can definatly see myself jamming over this. Really awesome.
Ok so far the bends are pretty offf and there's a lack of expression in your otherwise pretty sweet lines. Sounds kinda out of tune but it's the out of tune chords on the BT fault. The guitar sounds pretty intune with the bassline.
I know that it's really hard to start jamming in scales other than pentatonic when you're just starting out so you did a pretty good job.
It wasn't all that boring but the absence of some recognisable form made a little bit un-interesting.
Basicly for this tracks my main tips would be:

1.Work on your bends and vibrato.

I can't stress this enough. I'ts very important to work on it as early as possible.
I know it's boring but spare an hour or two per day just for vibrato and bends.
I know it's much more fun to work on speed etc. but if you don't work on these essential techniques early, it will kill you in the future when it's way to late.
2.When you're improvising try to come up with a general structure that you will follow.
I mean pre-think where on the neck you will jam out and what kind of riff you gonna play.
I'm completly against box playing so I'm not recomending to just switch between boxes.
What I mean is vary the dynamics through the whole song. It's very effective to play some badass riff, lay low then come back again with some mind blowing ****. It's simple but it's very exciting for the listener.
3.Don't limit yourself to one scale/key
In the very begining of the track, you could have played in atleast 4 different keys because the bassline only had two notes all the time and there were no chords to make it harder.
I find that just reading what scales you can play over it is no good help. Try figuring it out.
What other keys have those bassline notes in them ?
Believe me, change in key can be just as awesome sounding as suddenly shredding your face off.

As I said, sweet backing track, I might make a jam over it. I would gladly send it to you.
I would also try to exagerate the aforementioned ideas so that it can also be a bit helpful.
I don't think that I'm very qualified to give a good example cause afterall, there's alot of room for improvment at whatever skill level you are. (EDIT:don't get this last part wrong, I always avoid to make myself sound like I'm bragging or something)

Here's a little unseriousongdoodle that you can check out:
https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1037933&highlight=pick+gnome

EDIT2: So I tried jamming over it and I have some cool ideas and are loving the track.
But it's horribly out of tune.
If you made this BT could you just remove those synth chords completly ?
Or atleast make them in-tune with the bassline.
Last edited by Evil_Magician at Jan 6, 2009,
Quote by Evil_Magician
Ok gonna crit as I listen.

Very awesome BT can definatly see myself jamming over this. Really awesome.
Ok so far the bends are pretty offf and there's a lack of expression in your otherwise pretty sweet lines.

yeah the bends... I wasnt sure where the scale played, and was bending on a whim lol. Usually the E minor scale has a whole step from the 10 to 12. but in the harmonic minor its 10 to 11, that screwed me up. Because the harmonic minor resembles the minor scale alot, so it just threw me off. I'll have to practice. there is a lack of expression, I noticed it when I was listening to it myself. I dont wanna end up like [insert non-expression showing shredder here], so I need to work on that.

Sounds kinda out of tune but it's the out of tune chords on the BT fault. The guitar sounds pretty intune with the bassline.
I know that it's really hard to start jamming in scales other than pentatonic when you're just starting out so you did a pretty good job.
It wasn't all that boring but the absence of some recognisable form made a little bit un-interesting.

gee thanks lol. I'll practice this scale for a week, learn some other patterns for it, maybe some licks, and try it again next weekend. I know what you mean when you say the lack of that recognisable form. I was listening to it and was like, "why didnt i play this?" or "I could played that right there" About the out of tune thing? not real sure what happened there. Got this BT from a friend at agileguitarforum.com

Basicly for this tracks my main tips would be:

I can't stress this enough. I'ts very important to work on it as early as possible.
I know it's boring but spare an hour or two per day just for vibrato and bends.
I know it's much more fun to work on speed etc. but if you don't work on these essential techniques early, it will kill you in the future when it's way to late.
2.When you're improvising try to come up with a general structure that you will follow.
I mean pre-think where on the neck you will jam out and what kind of riff you gonna play.
I'm completly against box playing so I'm not recomending to just switch between boxes.
What I mean is vary the dynamics through the whole song. It's very effective to play some badass riff, lay low then come back again with some mind blowing ****. It's simple but it's very exciting for the listener.
3.Don't limit yourself to one scale/key
In the very begining of the track, you could have played in atleast 4 different keys because the bassline only had two notes all the time and there were no chords to make it harder.
I find that just reading what scales you can play over it is no good help. Try figuring it out.
What other keys have those bassline notes in them ?
Believe me, change in key can be just as awesome sounding as suddenly shredding your face off.

thanks alot for all this, really helps me out. I'll definitely be working on all of this.

As I said, sweet backing track, I might make a jam over it. I would gladly send it to you.
I would also try to exagerate the aforementioned ideas so that it can also be a bit helpful.
I don't think that I'm very qualified to give a good example cause afterall, there's alot of room for improvment at whatever skill level you are. (EDIT:don't get this last part wrong, I always avoid to make myself sound like I'm bragging or something)

Yeah you should do it, would love to hear a more experienced player play. wana see what kind of licks/scales/phrases you use.

Here's a little unseriousongdoodle that you can check out:
https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1037933&highlight=pick+gnome
[/quote
I'll check it out

EDIT2: So I tried jamming over it and I have some cool ideas and are loving the track.
But it's horribly out of tune.
If you made this BT could you just remove those synth chords completly ?
Or atleast make them in-tune with the bassline.

yeah its a really awesome track to play along to. unfortunately I didn't make it, got it from a guy on another forum. I'd love to hear what you came up with

Edit: forgot to say, thanks for all the effort you put into critting this. it really does help me. i'm also glad you're upfront about it and telling me how I could be better. I'll work on all those points you made. again, thanks.
Last edited by RabbidWolf at Jan 6, 2009,
I thought the overall song was very good. You could vary the other instruments a bit but maybe you wanted to keep them simple so the guitar could stand out which I can understand.
The Backing track was pretty cool, the improvisation was decent imho but i think that could've been bc you were new to the scale. It sounded to me to much like just going up and down the scale, so the more you practice it the much better it will sound. Like for me with the blues scale especially in the key of E, im so familiar with all the different shapes and forms all across the fretboard making improvising so much... fun! over pretty good improvisation,

ive also been playing for 2 years, check out the little improvisation i made recently
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l0unpDZFIWA
if you like, leave a comment or rate?
My Gear

Epiphone Les Paul Standard
Epiphone Elitist Paul Mccartney Texan
Orange Tiny Terror
Vox Valvetronix AD 30
Vox V847 Wah
Metal Muff EQ (broken )
Boss RC-2 Loop pedal

Me playing
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l0unpDZFIWA
RabbidWolf thats very nice sounding for 2 years. I like, where did you find this backing track? You play very cleanly when going through scales fast. The beginning is very catchy I like it.
Last edited by rebel624 at Jan 7, 2009,
^ hey thanks for that. kinda new to improvising and that means alot. I posted the backing track up there somewhere ^^^^