Hey Guys! Its been a while since I posted. I am going to be looking at a smaller amp soon for some gigs at smaller places (coffee shop size) and bedroom playing. I currently have a Vox AC15 and you gotta crank it pretty loud to get decent tone. Unless someone can tell me how to get a real good, funky tone at a low volume, I am gonna have to get something else. At the same time, I will be getting new pickups for my strat copy. I would like to keep it all under $500, but the budget can stretch if it must. So... what are my amp options?

Epi Valve Junior
Peavey Valveking Royal 8
Blackheart Little Giant
Blackheart Little Ant
Used Vintage Fender Champ
Build my own! I would like to build my own... but can it be done cheap enough?
Any lesser known brands out there?

etc.

I like to play funk, jazzy stuff, and bluesy rock. The amp should be able to take effects well. I use a wah a lot. Other than that, I occasionally use my looper pedal and overdrive occasionally. My band I am in is a world music, funky jamband... lol. Where should I start my search? I will start another thread for pickups!
Ibanez SZ520QM - Transparent Red
-Seymour Duncan '59 in the bridge/Coil-Tapped Pearly Gates in the neck
Synsonics Strat Copy with Hotrails Pickup in the bridge
Vox AC15cc Tube Amp
Vox V847 Wah
Digitech JamMan Looper
Cusack Screamer OD Pedal
Last edited by white99z at Jan 6, 2009,
Oh yeah... thats 15watt too isn't it? Ill remove it! Also... are there any weird, small companies out there that I didn't list? I can go higher if I gotta... I am selling my project car to help fund the purchase of new gear because I need to get it ASAP for playing with my band.

Jeremy
Vox AC15cc Tube Amp
Vox V847 Wah
Digitech JamMan Looper
Cusack Screamer OD Pedal
Quote by white99z
Hey Guys! Its been a while since I posted. I am going to be looking at a smaller amp soon for some gigs at smaller places (coffee shop size) and bedroom playing. I currently have a Vox AC15 and you gotta crank it pretty loud to get decent tone. Unless someone can tell me how to get a real good, funky tone at a low volume, I am gonna have to get something else. At the same time, I will be getting new pickups for my strat copy. I would like to keep it all under $500, but the budget can stretch if it must. So... what are my amp options?

Epi Valve Junior
Peavey Valveking Royal 8
Blackheart Little Giant
Blackheart Little Ant
Used Vintage Fender Champ
Build my own! I would like to build my own... but can it be done cheap enough?
Any lesser known brands out there?

etc.

I like to play funk, jazzy stuff, and bluesy rock. The amp should be able to take effects well. I use a wah a lot. Other than that, I occasionally use my looper pedal and overdrive occasionally. My band I am in is a world music, funky jamband... lol. Where should I start my search? I will start another thread for pickups!

Use an attenuator, run it on load, and reamp the signal through another amp at a low volume.
That would require buying a lot more for me than another amp! I only have one amp... the Vox. Question... whats the difference between silverface, blackface, and vibro champ amps? I found a silverface and vibrochamp locally.
Vox AC15cc Tube Amp
Vox V847 Wah
Digitech JamMan Looper
Cusack Screamer OD Pedal
^Not sure, a quick Google search would reveal the answer. I know it has to do with the years made, but I do not know the characteristics/which is better.

Quote by zachman5150
Use an attenuator, run it on load, and reamp the signal through another amp at a low volume.

That's a good setup, but not worth it for the AC15, IMO.
Tiny terror combo has a lower wattage switch.
Pain is an illusion.
Schecter Hellraiser C-1 w/ Seymour Duncan JB/Jazz Combo
Pitchblack | Bad Horsie 2 | DS-1 | BF-2 | ISP Decimator | DD6
YouTube Channel
Quote by forsaknazrael
^Not sure, a quick Google search would reveal the answer. I know it has to do with the years made, but I do not know the characteristics/which is better.

That's a good setup, but not worth it for the AC15, IMO.

Sell or trade the AC15 for something else, but either way-- that method is a good one for 'any rig' that needs to be turned up enough to get the tubes cooking, but is too loud at that sweet spot.
Quote by 311ZOSOVHJH
I would PM Imgooley.

you can tell him I sent you.

when you say locally, do you mean craigslist?

Where would PM'ing him get me? Haha!!! When I say locally, yes, I do mean craigslist. I have kinda narrowed it down a bit.

Blackheart little giant
Epi Valve Junior
Fender Champ
Fender Vibro Champ

I am going to look at a champ on Friday. All original except for a grounded plug!
Vox AC15cc Tube Amp
Vox V847 Wah
Digitech JamMan Looper
Cusack Screamer OD Pedal
Hmmm... how does the tiny terror sound on the 7 watt switch? There are no dealers near me, but I would consider ordering a new one online if I could sell my AC15. Ill have to check that out some!
Vox AC15cc Tube Amp
Vox V847 Wah
Digitech JamMan Looper
Cusack Screamer OD Pedal
If it's such small venues and bedroom use, wouldn't it be worth looking at the Vox Valvetronix line? I mean, you clearly like Vox amps, the Valvetronix retains a lot of the valve warmth you're after, they're cheap, versatile and you can lower the power to keep a saturated sound. I know it's not a full valve amp but let's face it, who's going to care in your audience and the tone those Valvetronix have is actually very impressive at the kinds of music you're playing.
Gibson Les Paul Studio with Catswhiskers pickups
PRS SE 'Floyd' Custom 24 with Creamery pickups
Fender Standard Stratocaster with DiMarzio pickups
Takamine GN30
BluGuitar AMP1
Quote by white99z
Where would PM'ing him get me? Haha!!! When I say locally, yes, I do mean craigslist. I have kinda narrowed it down a bit.

Blackheart little giant
Epi Valve Junior
Fender Champ
Fender Vibro Champ

I am going to look at a champ on Friday. All original except for a grounded plug!

I was trying to say that if you have questions about blackface vs silverface, and you don't get them here, then by Private Message Imgooley (UGr) could probably help.

If those are the 4 you are down to then I would go with the SuperChamp.

Actually, I would find a used Blues Jr, Classic 30, or something like that.

Is the $500 for amp and pickups? What pickupsI think most would agree to not get those at the same time. Focus on the amp first and get to know it and then figure out what you want to do with your tone after that. What guitar do you have?

Quote by H4T3BR33D3R
Way to show everybody up jackass.

Guitar: _______________ Amp:
_ Ibanez SZ320 _________Fender Hot Rod Deluxe

V-Picks!
I wouldnt look at the Valvetronix series or the Valve Junior, imo... The Vox doesnt really have the warmth of a tube amp in my trials of it and the Valve Junior is to cut and dry... I just picked up a Blackstar HT-5 stack and I love it... Its right at $500... Maybe you could look into it as well... Its only a 5 watter and is pretty nice...
Blackstar HT-5 stack is killer and should be around your price range.

Played it at guitar center and got most amazing overdriven tone i had ever heard in person. Really great. I highly reccomend you at least take a look at it.
My gear:
PRS SE custom
~!~--Peavey XXX super 40 EFX --~!~
Peavey VK 112

===WGS Vet30
===JJ power tubes

---Pedals:
-ISP Decimator
-Digitech Bad Monkey
-Crybaby wah
-Korg Pitchblack
-Danelectro FnC EQ
Quote by white99z
That would require buying a lot more for me than another amp! I only have one amp... the Vox. Question... whats the difference between silverface, blackface, and vibro champ amps? I found a silverface and vibrochamp locally.

the difference will depend on what exact year it is. some SF are almost exatcly like BFs. some are very very different.

and also, you could just go with an attenuator like some else said, but just use it to lower to volume, i dont see and benefit in in reamping it. i might just be overlooking something though.
Quote by BryanChampine
It was like a orgasm in my ear.
Chea_man is the best.
I'll third the Blackstar HT-5. I wandered in to a guitar shop just to kill some time and walked out with the head version. I have it hooked up to the cab of my 2x12 combo right now. Amazing amp!