Ok, im having a problem with my guitarist, he's just not as good compared to the rest of our band. I mean, he is my best friend, but what tips can i give him to play better other than practice more? cuz he says he does but i dont think he's motivated enough, i dont want to kick him out but what should i do?!
Tell him to play better or you'll kick him out.

Or, just have him learn songs that are up to you and the rest of the bands skill level.
He's not really gonna be able to do anything without practice
Maybe spend some time practicing with just you and him. If hes your best friend then it will eliminate pressures he may be feeling while playing with a whole band and struggling to keep up. It's important to practice the guitars alone once in awhile already, so everyone benefits.

And just keep positively encouraging him like you seem to be doing, dont make him feel like hes a major hinderance. Some people here will tell you to kick him out buts thats not cool, hes your best friend afterall and probably really fun to play with.
Epiphone G-400 Goth (I love it so much!)
Digitech RP 80 Modeling Guitar Processor
Viper Amp (Getting new one soon.)
Jay Turser Strat (Worst guitar ever made.)

"Different strokes for different folks."
This thread should be moved to
Musician Talk -> Bandleading
Martin D-15
Gibson LP Std. Faded HB
Fender MIA HWY1 Strat, 3 color SB, RW fretboard
BOSS GT-10
Roland JC-120
See - here is where 'Best Friend' is either just a BS label, or you guys are really that freakin' tight.

If you're that tight, I dont follow your question. I can sit my best friend down and tell him he needs deodorant, mouth wash or to practice more...and there might be an initial twitch in his mood, but it's coming from me... so it's all good.

If you're not that tight... then dont call him your best friend and kick his ass to the curb.

Simple... just not easy.
if your best friends, then tell him the truth. (without being rude)
I get the suspicion that the rest of the band isn't so hot either. How old are you, 15? What qualifications are you judging this? The fact that he can't shred like Kirk Hammett on some Metallica covers, or that he can't even keep up with the songs you're all writing? Are you really evaluating your own skills on some objective measure, where you feel confident enough to claim that everybody else has their stuff together save for that one person?

Don't get me wrong, you could be right and the guy just couldn't play Twinkle Twinkle Little Star if he had the tabs in front of him and one of us held a gun to his mother. But there's a lot of things that could be going on here.

Either way the answer to your question is simple: high school is not the real world, your high school band is not going to sell a million albums just as soon as your guitarist finally gets down the riff to Crazy Train, and if you're all friends then do it for that fact. Chill out, keep practicing, and if you're not having fun then it's wiser to step out yourself than to force somebody else out.
Quote by XahXhaX
Don't get me wrong, you could be right and the guy just couldn't play Twinkle Twinkle Little Star if he had the tabs in front of him and one of us held a gun to his mother.

LOL Classic, I'd sig that if I had room. And the rest of your post is pretty right too.
Last edited by slickerthnsleek at Jan 7, 2009,