Melodic Death Metal song I wrote, but got around to polishing up the tone. Trying to clean it up as this song, due to its composition, gets very muddy at times, especially in the chorus areas. Composition is still being tweaked, but its a general idea.

Fall of the Righteous
[Listen Online][Download the song]
I liked the song. I wouldn't call it melodic death metal though...

More just melodic metal :P

Enough about sub-genres though.

The only real thing I can think to say, is that the lead line sounded a bit odd in places. As if slightly out of time. Though I think that it is just on an off-beat, and as such I'm not expecting it to be there.

I personally think the synth was a bit too loud in places as well, but still lovely sound : D

Nice drums as well.
Quote by Sabaren
Melodic Death Metal song I wrote, but got around to polishing up the tone. Trying to clean it up as this song, due to its composition, gets very muddy at times, especially in the chorus areas. Composition is still being tweaked, but its a general idea.

Fall of the Righteous
[Listen Online][Download the song]

The synth sounds really cool. The EQ on the guitars isn't good. You need more mids, a lot more mids. You should also pan the guitars (if you haven't already).

The first riff that comes in is cool, but it's hard to hear the guitars. You should also raise the volume. The riff right after that is kind of boring since there are no vocals / lead going on.

It's pretty hard to get a good idea of what you're playing at parts, as you mentioned it gets quite muddy at times. It's a cool song, but it's hard to hear much detail.

How did you record all of this? Well, either way, I'll link you to my thread (which you can crit too ) and my first post has a large run down of my recording equipment, software etc that might be of some help. I also discuss the EQ of the guitars and such.

https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1033681
Quote by Gordita Supreme

How did you record all of this?

Logic Express 7. Stock guitar amp plugin. Bass DI, compressed, EQ'd. Drums are Drumkit from Hell. Took a hell of a lot of EQing for the guitars, and I am still trying to tweak it. Guitars have about 14 parametric cuts (I'm near max for the channel strips), and the master channel has about 6 or 8 parametrics. There's a few shelving EQs thrown in there as well. I was actually thinking on the way home I need to tweak the mids a bit more. They're definitely panned though, I have rhythm hard panned then a soft panned (45° dub to thicken it up (sounds better on other songs, might hard pan both to clear it up), then the leads are soft panned as well.

I'll keep your points in mind next time I make a run through remastering it, it's a lot closer than it was before.

And yeah its more or less melodic death metal, look at In Flames, Dark Tranquillity, etc. Melodic Death tends to have a less technical aspect to it than regular death metal, and uses groove a bit more. The other songs I've written are a bit more heavy too, this one is more the soft symphonic one.

Also, yes the timing is TERRIBLE in some parts. It's something I just can't do anything about until I get my guitar shipped here. I recorded this a year ago and just remastered it and threw it up.
Last edited by Sabaren at Jan 7, 2009,
That was pretty good. Only thing I could say is that it could use some more drastic tempo changes somewhere in the song, just to mix it up a bit more imo. But, I didn't hear like, the last 40 sec-minute of the song, so maybe that would have changed my mind.
I never use direct tempo changes, I absolutely hate them. I do sometimes use ones relative to the original BPM, such as 75% (same length as a triplet) or 50% (halving it), but the pulses usually stay the same. The song is suppose to blend together and sound like one big flowing piece without interruption. I admit, the song is written to be a bit boring in a way, but more of a song that you can get lost in.