Hey everyone. More and more people are complaining about how music television (mtv, fuse) and radio stations show very few songs and only stick to the poppiest music they can find. I didn't realize how bad it was until I saw the music video for "yall want a single" by Korn. I didn't realize that the industry was more or less a dictatorship.

So I was wondering how to make the "man" change their ways and revolutionize the industry. What would be a good method? Mostly serious posts please.

EDIT: I think this might in turn be killing the guitar world as well since many of the songs now played are rap and hip-hop so I think it's pretty important. I mean it's kinda sick to see guitar hero being the main reason why most people are getting into guitar nowadays
Quote by Argonaut
^ Wrong Kensai.

Quote by Sean-Man
I may be a Narcissist, But im the Best Narcissist
Last edited by dxpaintball8000 at Jan 6, 2009,
Quote by dxpaintball8000
Hey everyone. More and more people are complaining about how music television (mtv, fuse) and radio stations show very few songs and only stick to the poppiest music they can find. I didn't realize how bad it was until I saw the music video for "yall want a single" by Korn. I didn't realize that the industry was more or less a dictatorship.

So I was wondering how to make the "man" change their ways and revolutionize the industry. What would be a good method? Mostly serious posts please.

Tell the people who are buying the stuff they're selling to stop buying the stuff they're selling. Problem solved.
Banging on a trash can
Drumming on a street light
Pop is what's popular right now, the music industry tends to go for what's popular, so more people will watch their stuff
You don't need "the man" or the tv or the radio to change a thing.

DIY music, as well as fanzines and various other ways of putting it out there have existed for decades.
Quote by Cheesemaster
Pop is what's popular right now, the music industry tends to go for what's popular, so more people will watch their stuff

Right, I know why they do it and stuff. But one should realize what limited music we are being given.
Quote by Argonaut
^ Wrong Kensai.

Quote by Sean-Man
shop at urban outfitters, wear moccasins and a vneck. and listen to neutral milk hotel .(nothing agaist them though) haha..be indietastic. if you get this i rove you
guitar is alive and well my friend.

pop music has always been around tho, its nothing to worry about. if everyone listened to rock and metal they would be more of a cesspool than they already are. we need ****ty music to filter out the **** so rock and metal become more awesome.

but btw i like every genre, even rap and pop. i go by the artist, not the genre.
Quote by dxpaintball8000
Mostly serious posts please.

haha

haha

has no signature.
Most people like to casually listen to the radio, or be fed digestable music from mtv, and will not take willingly to "alternative" music, until they become tired of the mainstream. And most people will probably go their entire lives being comfortable with the music on the radio/tv because music isn't a big deal to them.
There's really nothing you can do about it
As long as there's a demand there will be a supply
But that still doesn't mean you have to listen to it or watch it
There's plenty of independent art to be found all around
More than ever actually
Believe it or not we are living in a golden age of music
Where one band can reach millions all over the world without ever having to leave their basements
It's amazing if you think about it
Yes.
Quote by dxpaintball8000
Right, I know why they do it and stuff. But one should realize what limited music we are being given.

The TV and the radio isn't marketed to people like you. And why should it be? You're not listening to it. That's the bottom line.
Banging on a trash can
Drumming on a street light
Quote by dxpaintball8000

EDIT: I think this might in turn be killing the guitar world as well since many of the songs now played are rap and hip-hop so I think it's pretty important. I mean it's kinda sick to see guitar hero being the main reason why most people are getting into guitar nowadays

Stop watching and listening.
I agree with the others, just don't watch it yourself. Plus there are a lot more important things you could be 'rising up' against, such as disease or poverty- something you could make a difference in. Just goes to show how important pop culture has been made in so many people's minds.
Dude, MTV is not that bad. Wait till you watch nickolodean then you want to off yourself. I was watching nick the other day and this commercial played.

"Coming soon next month, an epic show. Where one family, one little girl, her dad, her mom, and her little brother get a makeover. We'll make them into the Rock Band stars."

Then they went through and did this preview thing where each member of the family says stuff.

DAD: "I'm a computer programmer, but I'm ready to rock out and put my mullet on bahbayyyy." as he's fidgeting with his pocket protector.

MOM: "I'm a homemaker of 20 years and I know how to rock with skillets. Skillets and drums are both circular so I'm pretty sure I can rock out on both."

16 year old girl: "I'm a sophmore and i left it up to nick to rock out my family! I actually know how to play the guitar. I know two chords. I can totally write a song if i wanted to."

That little girl right there^^^ is what's happening to music. I wanted to beat the her and leave a calling card attached to a string tied to a head stock that I shoved up her asshole.
There's actually a lot of good new music coming out. You don't like the music they play? Don't watch/listen.
Haha well i didn't really mean for this to turn into a jump on the TS thread. I'm just kinda tired because there are alot of bands who are good and who reach millions of people and have a pretty good fanbase but still wont get played by a radio station or a music tv station, thus making **** money.
Quote by Argonaut
^ Wrong Kensai.

Quote by Sean-Man
Well, groups with guitars are on the way out...

Anyway, I think that someone should start a new music video channel, like what MTV and Fuse were in their early days, that plays more indie stuff (as in independent), and chooses playlists based on music quality, not promotion.
kill all humans
Quote by luislasports
shop at urban outfitters, wear moccasins and a vneck. and listen to neutral milk hotel .(nothing agaist them though) haha..be indietastic. if you get this i rove you

come on dude. i have the "look" that is attached to the indie scene nowadays.
Deacon of Zeppelinism PM TheHeartbreaker to join
speed demon of the UG Jeepers
Member of the Neutral Milk Hotel club PM Hamish5178 to join~
Quote by sargasm
You don't need "the man" or the tv or the radio to change a thing.

DIY music, as well as fanzines and various other ways of putting it out there have existed for decades.

*cough* like college radio shows and stuff......

Seriously though, if you look hard enough all the good stuff is out there. A thousand people realise the same thing you have, ever day. Stuff like MTV isn't meant to sell good music and never will be, and is never gonna change.
Quote by Misc Debris
There's really nothing you can do about it
As long as there's a demand there will be a supply
But that still doesn't mean you have to listen to it or watch it
There's plenty of independent art to be found all around
More than ever actually
Believe it or not we are living in a golden age of music
Where one band can reach millions all over the world without ever having to leave their basements
It's amazing if you think about it

what if we cut off the supply...

KILL THEM ALL!
Quote by alaskan_ninja
Well, groups with guitars are on the way out...

Anyway, I think that someone should start a new music video channel, like what MTV and Fuse were in their early days, that plays more indie stuff (as in independent), and chooses playlists based on music quality, not promotion.

yea see this is what i'm talking about. you used to have music stations that told the man to shove it and they were great. And as for the fighting poverty post i think you can definately do both at the same time. I dont think changing the music industy around just a little would be anywhere near as hard as eliminating disease and poverty
Quote by Argonaut
^ Wrong Kensai.

Quote by Sean-Man
Quote by riffmasterjosh
come on dude. i have the "look" that is attached to the indie scene nowadays.

hah..just joshin with ya.
its just that sometimes hipsters piss me off with their pitchfork and stuck up ways.. but hey at least theyre straying away from mainstream and discovering some amazing new bands.