I don't have the money to make the switch that is the topic title, but I figured I'd ask just so I know whether I want an Orange as my next amp, or if I should go with a higher-end amp in the Hot Rod series.

What kind of tonal difference could I expect switching from an AB Fender tube amp to a class-A Orange? Not looking for "better" or "worse", just looking to see what changes I can expect from the class and brand change.
THE FORUM UPDATE KILLED THE GRADIENT STAR

Baltimore Orioles: 2014 AL Eastern Division Champions, 2017: 75-87
Baltimore Ravens: 2012 World Champions, 2017: 4-5
2017 NFL Pick 'Em: 92-54
you're going from a low gain american amp, to a medium gain british amp

expect more mids, more crunch, and less "chime"

just youtube them :P
Which Orange amp are you looking at? The Orange will be pretty different from the Fender. It's pretty British crunch Marshall-esque. The Fender won't have as much in the way of overdrive, but the cleans will be super pretty.
Go try one out and hear the difference, it's just easier to tell if you try it. The Fender is American voiced and the Orange is British voiced so the mids are going to sound different. If I were you I would get something other than an Orange, they're really expensive in the US.
Quote by Vincent Vega
Haikus are awesome
but sometimes they don't make sense
Refrigerator

Quote by KissingShadows
People always tell me I solo like Zakk Wylde. Thats how I know that I suck.
Quote by pugnapugnapugna
Which Orange amp are you looking at?

Either a Rocker 30 or a Tiny Terror head + a 212 or 412 cab.

Quote by thsrayas
Go try one out and hear the difference, it's just easier to tell if you try it. The Fender is American voiced and the Orange is British voiced so the mids are going to sound different. If I were you I would get something other than an Orange, they're really expensive in the US.

Trying it; no local Orange dealers. >_<

Something other than Orange; Recommendations then? I'm looking for all-tube, and I'd consider a Vox AC30, but with my band I need something that has a gainstage(or kickass OD) once I need a larger amp(which I intend to be the cause of the purchase)

Last edited by necrosis1193 at Jan 6, 2009,
I have a vox ac30cc2, and it sounds pretty darn amazing. I am going to get an overdrive pedal to push it some more. the sound from the amp is amazing by itself though.
Quote by RetroGunslinger
this is like comparing a flushing toilet to a hole in the ground
Quote by fifer
I have a vox ac30cc2, and it sounds pretty darn amazing. I am going to get an overdrive pedal to push it some more. the sound from the amp is amazing by itself though.

Could it do lighter metal?

I dont think it would do lighter metal, not without a distortion pedal...idk though, I havent tried any overdrive pedal with the amp.
Quote by RetroGunslinger
this is like comparing a flushing toilet to a hole in the ground
What kind of sound do you want, exactly?

obviously you like lighter gain stuff, and you need to get some metal going... maybe if you gave a rough example from a band you like, or a few bands you like..

There are so many amps that cover what you're looking for lol
Quote by HibyPrime
What kind of sound do you want, exactly?

obviously you like lighter gain stuff, and you need to get some metal going... maybe if you gave a rough example from a band you like, or a few bands you like..

There are so many amps that cover what you're looking for lol

Well, up until lately I've mainly been a classic rock/blues/blues-rock guy(hence the Blues Jr.), but I finally put together a band, and while the vocalist/guitarist's shred is a good offset to my blues, it also leads to some metal in the set. I'm fine with this, as, while I may prefer older stuff, I can dig a lot of metal, but my amp can't for the most part. For now I figure a Metal Muff can fix the problem for my Blues Jr., or at least enough for rhythm playing, but I want to be able to take the Metal Muff out of my rig with my next amp. The metal stuff we cover ranges from the "progenitors" of metal(Sabbath, Deep Purple, Ozzy, and some Zeppelin) to heavier 1980's stuff(Metallica, EVH, Gn'R, stuf such as that, though I'm fine switching guitars for this grouping). Nothing modern that I'd need something like a Mesa for though.

well, heres one possibility, it's still a fender, but it's one of their few amps that are fairly high gain... the dude doing the review is a bit of a douche, so just ignore him lol: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-bgf2JYuGpM also same amp: http://guitars.musiciansfriend.com/product/Fender-Hot-Rod-DeVille-410?sku=480508

I know you said you dont need a mesa, but they have some pretty awesome cleans, youtube "mesa boogie clean" theres a million examples. obviously it'll cover any amount of gain you'll ever need, but it's an amercian voiced amp, not a british like most of the bands you listed.

Most of those bands used marshall amps, so your original thing about orange amps is a good idea.. I have no idea what they cost, but I'm guessing 800-1200 for a combo, 1000-1500 for a head

EDIT: After a bit of searching, all I have left to add are engl and marshall amps... engl are seriously high gain amps, but they have some nice breakup to them in the low gain settings, not sure if this would suit your tastes though... marshall is the obvious answer, but I figured it was worth mentioning at least lol

AHEM. add about 500-700 to those price estimates, and thats only on ebay... holy **** these are expensive
Last edited by HibyPrime at Jan 6, 2009,
Quote by HibyPrime
well, heres one possibility, it's still a fender, but it's one of their few amps that are fairly high gain... the dude doing the review is a bit of a douche, so just ignore him lol: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-bgf2JYuGpM also same amp: http://guitars.musiciansfriend.com/product/Fender-Hot-Rod-DeVille-410?sku=480508

I know you said you dont need a mesa, but they have some pretty awesome cleans, youtube "mesa boogie clean" theres a million examples. obviously it'll cover any amount of gain you'll ever need, but it's an amercian voiced amp, not a british like most of the bands you listed.

Most of those bands used marshall amps, so your original thing about orange amps is a good idea.. I have no idea what they cost, but I'm guessing 800-1200 for a combo, 1000-1500 for a head

EDIT: After a bit of searching, all I have left to add are engl and marshall amps... engl are seriously high gain amps, but they have some nice breakup to them in the low gain settings, not sure if this would suit your tastes though... marshall is the obvious answer, but I figured it was worth mentioning at least lol

AHEM. add about 500-700 to those price estimates, and thats only on ebay... holy **** these are expensive

Hmm...alright, between a Peavey Classic 30, a Vox AC30, the Orange Rocker 30, the Hot Rod Deville, and a Bugera 6262, which would you say would get the job done best with my current setup plus a Metal Muff in the future?

with a metal muff, all of them will work, without it, all of them will work except for the AC30... the classic 30 might have a bit of an issue with the metallica stuff

I have to say though, since you're most likely a blues/classic rock man at heart you should probably get an AC30... it's like a right of passage thing lol

I guess you're gunna have to find a way to try them out.
Quote by HibyPrime
with a metal muff, all of them will work, without it, all of them will work except for the AC30... the classic 30 might have a bit of an issue with the metallica stuff

I have to say though, since you're most likely a blues/classic rock man at heart you should probably get an AC30... it's like a right of passage thing lol

I guess you're gunna have to find a way to try them out.

Hmm...suppose I'll try to give them a try sometime this month then. Thanks for the help, and with any luck, things will work out properly for the tone I'm looking for.

One more question then, referring to the topics original question; from a Fender tube amp, what can I expect in tonal going to a Vox tube amp? I know it'll be different, but what will be different specifically?

Well, you really have to understand the difference between american sounds and british sounds...

Here's an extreme example: Slash religiously uses marshalls and les pauls, he has a very british sound. Santana on the other hand has been using mesas since god knows when, and he has a very american sound. They both usually stay on the neck pickup for leads and use the same amount of gain, so it's a fairly good example...

EDIT: I totally f'ed that up.. I should read my posts after posting them lol
Last edited by HibyPrime at Jan 6, 2009,
Quote by HibyPrime
Well, you really have to understand the difference between american sounds and british sounds...

Here's an extreme example: Slash religiously uses marshalls and les pauls, he has a very american sound. Santana on the other hand has been using mesas since god knows when, and he has a very british sound. They both usually stay on the neck pickup for leads and use the same amount of gain, so it's a fairly good example...

Hmm...that could be a bit of a problem, as, as much as I like both of their tones, I prefer Slash's between the two...Which would the AC30 sound closer to with a TS9? And if it's the latter, Brian May is probably my favourite AC-30 user, what would I need to do for a tone similar to his, besides the treble booster?

The AC30 is pretty much the definition of a british sounding amp, so much more like slash's

Quote by wikipedia
May has used Vox AC-30 amplifiers almost exclusively since a meeting with his long time hero Rory Gallagher at a gig in London during the late 60s/early 70s.[citation needed] His choice is the model AC30TBX, the top-boost version with Blue Alnico speakers, and he runs the amp at full volume on the Normal channel. He also customizes his amps by removing the circuitry for the Brilliant and Vib-trem channels (leaving only the circuitry for the Normal), and this alters the tone slightly, with a gain addition of 6-7dB.[citation needed] He always used a 'treble booster pedal' of some kind which, along with the AC-30, went a long way in helping to create many of his signature guitar tones. He used the Dallas Rangemaster for the first Queen albums, up to A Day at the Races. Then, effects guru Pete Cornish built for him the TB-83 (32dB of gain) that used for all the remaining Queen albums. He switched in 2000 to the Fryer's booster, which actually gives less boost than the TB-83.

Sounds like you should get fairly close with a stock AC30 by turning the treble up a bit... With a TS9 you should be able to get almost exactly the same
Quote by HibyPrime
The AC30 is pretty much the definition of a british sounding amp, so much more like slash's

Sounds like you should get fairly close with a stock AC30 by turning the treble up a bit... With a TS9 you should be able to get almost exactly the same

Hmm...then the AC30 it is then I suppose. Thanks for all the help.

Would a Marshall JCM900 combo fit the bill?

I don't know much about it, I just know that combos go for a decent price (600 or so) used on eBay.
Gear:
Fender USA Standard Strat
1972 Aria "Lawsuit" Les Paul

Marshall JCM 900 Dual Reverb w/Randall cab
Traynor YCV40

Effects: (working on it..)
EHX Holy Grail Reverb
BOSS DD-6
Dunlop Crybaby Wah
1978 MXR Dist.+
dont get the hot rod unless you want only decent cleans and mediocre drive. trust me i hate mine lol

go for an orange

07 Fender American Deluxe Strat
07 Fender Custom Telecaster
09 Seymour Duncan Pickup Booster
09 Fulltone OCD V.4
10 Ibanez WH-10 V.2
09 Splawn SuperStock
10 Jet City JCA-20
97 Fender Hot Rod Deluxe

Yeh the SICK! bit sounds a bit stupid.