The more I practice down-strokes, the slower my hand gets.

Please help. I really want to be able to play fast strictly downstroke guitar, but I can't.
I played the Rocket to Russia album by The Ramones all the way through with pure downstrokes two days ago, and now I can't play half a song.

This is how it always seems to be. How am I supposed to build speed?
First why exactly do you want to downpick everything? It would prolly be much easier to alternate pick imo
Ibanez RG7321
Jackson Randy Rhoads V with Floyd Rose
Peavey Valveking 112
Digitech RP70 Guitar Processor
down picking is awesome for the whole metallica super chug palm mutes..it certainly is my style. but you need to learn how to alternate pick eventually. your hand is just tired. the funny thing about muscles is they fatigue....
I can alternate pick fine. But I want to be able to palm mute fast. And I want to be able to master the Ramones style "wall of sound" style.
Let your hand rest for like a day then come back and see what happens
Ibanez RG7321
Peavey Valveking 112
Well, is playing downstrokes over and over the right way to go? I've been practicing like this for a long time, and I don't know what to do. My speed hasn't been improving.
punk music use yuor arm to do down picking. . watch the videos of the ramones and watch jonny.
metal, you use wrist for downpicking....
thats what i think.
Downpicking is strange i can also do it good sometimes but sometimes not. try not to stress your wrist a lot dunno its hard to tell cos even i cant do it sometimes when its fast
downpicking chords and alternate picking chords sounds totally different.

Just let your hand rest.
Yeah I use my wrist most of the time cause your arm gets tired alot faster than the wrist
Ibanez RG7321
Peavey Valveking 112