Hi i am trying to start writing some of my own music, and everything i create seems to have a really gay not what i wanted sounding appearance to it. I know this has probably been asked 100000000 times but wtv idc. So where do you start off for writing a song? i want to make some metal (death/neoclassical/melodic/thrash), and dont know where to start. What are some scales that create a metal sound, cause mine sound like barney theme music or some shti even with heavyest distortion known to man, wtf am i doing wrong lol. And how do you start off creating a song, do you think of something in your head then learn to play it, or jam till something sounds good or what? as you can see i have no idea whatsoever. thanks
harmonic minor scales have great neo classical metal feel,
what i normally do with metal writing, is ill drop the tuning to drop D
then ill just fool around a lil till i hit a riff, once you hit a riff, refine the riff till u reallly dig the sound.
from there i work out the key arangeing a verse if i have a chorus riff or a chorus if i have a verse riff. as for telling which riff you have, just listen to it, ull get a certain vibe from it.
then ill work out the bridge, then the intro and LAST OF ALL the solo.
other scales include your pentatonic minors, which are easy as to learn, or your melodic minor scales...
as for thinking about songs, yeah sometimes something pops into myhead, in that case i just hum it into the microfone on my fone if im not near a guitar.
jamming is a huge thing for writing songs as part of a band, because your band will always tell you the truth about your riff/song.
also remember "you dont have to tune low to be heavy" - Andreas Kisser of Sepultura
the same goes for insane amounts of gain, try different things, nto every band has to be drop B tuning and everything on their amp to full.

Just some stuff to think about once you get writing play me some stuff man
Epiphone SG G-400 faded
Fender Strat
Fender Frontman amp
**Dream Guitar**
Fender telecaster '58 heavy relic in blonde

"its in the key of D minor, i find songs in this key makes people want to weep."
"its called Lick My Love Pump"
Quote by raymo39

as for thinking about songs, yeah sometimes something pops into myhead, in that case i just hum it into the microfone on my fone if im not near a guitar.

haha i bet you look crazy.
but yea i agree with everything else you said also i'd listen to some bands of said genres and see what they're doing, get a feel for that 'kind' of music and then that'll get you into writing it, atleast thats what happens with me.
Quote by .arkness:.
I did it in the church confession booth. i jizzed all over the mesh in an attempt to hit the priest.
Quote by snakesson
play punk

your a fagget

...but to everyone else thanks a lot for the advice
Last edited by onetenpercent at Jan 6, 2009,
yeah dont play punk
Epiphone SG G-400 faded
Fender Strat
Fender Frontman amp
**Dream Guitar**
Fender telecaster '58 heavy relic in blonde

"its in the key of D minor, i find songs in this key makes people want to weep."
"its called Lick My Love Pump"
Learn theory, analyse some metal songs, learn to write melodies, learn advanced harmony, learn counterpoint.
        |\
[U]        | |                     [/U]
[U]        |/     .-.              [/U]
[U]       /|_     `-’       |      [/U]
[U]      //| \      |       |      [/U]
[U]     | \|_ |     |     .-|      [/U]
      *-|-*    (_)     `-’
        |
        L.
"do you think of something in your head then learn to play it, or jam till something sounds good or what?"

both of these. a lot of my riffs come from just jamming and I'll find something awesome, other times I'll have something pop into my head and I'll figure it out.

I've also come up with some cool stuff when I learn new stuff about theory or if I think of something from a theoretical point of view, then try it out.

just whatever works for you. and the more you write, the better you get at it. it takes practice.
Think of something (situation/emotion/issue/whathaveyou) that is brutal, then try to find the music that you think represents it. Make it real.
My name is Andy
Quote by MudMartin
Only looking at music as math and theory, is like only looking at the love of your life as flesh and bone.

Swinging to the rhythm of the New World Order,
Counting bodies like sheep to the rhythm of the war drums
Quote by snakesson
play punk

Seriously, that's what I do sometimes and I get pretty cool thrash metal riffs. Chug a lil E and play faster.
MY GEAR
Ibanez SA160QM
Laney HCM10
Squier Bullet Strat
MXR Carbon Copy
Zoom Tri Metal
Modtone Flanger(mini)
EHX LPB-1
Korg Pitchblack
Timtone acoustic