Went to the city this past weekend, and while my wife visited with some of her old college friends, I spent some time checking around some pawn shops/music stores to see if I could find any bargains. So in the couple I went their was nothing worth looking at, Epiphone SG for $250, Squiers for $150-200. A couple beat up Kramers, and a worn Jackson with SD pickups for $750. (Canadian dollars)

Nothing really for a Lefty guitarist, so I decided to go back to the hotel. On my way back I spotted a pawn shop with a "closing store... Everything must go" sign so I swing in.

The guy has no effects, and a couple crappy amps (and a Mesa Express 5:50) and what do I spy hanging from the shelf there... But this beauty...

MIM Fender SSH Strat

Not a scratch on it, and the only thing wrong is a missing string.

On sale for $250 I talked him down to $200 with a gig bag. (About $167 USD)

I bought it even though I am left handed, as I belong to a very musical family (Both grandparents, my uncles, and my mother in law can play guitar) and when they come over I like having some non left handed guitars for them to play.

ANYWAYS: Did I get a good deal?
How much is this thing worth new?
what is the going used price?
Whats color is it?
Last edited by stangconv at Nov 25, 2009,
wow, thats awesome, congrats

(sorry i can't answer the questions, but that is a pretty good deal)
Call me Cam
Quote by DirtyMakik
I'm Han Solo, Splamron's Greedo.

Han shot first. Greedo's dead.
You got a great deal. I am jealous. I love the color. It's called Agave Blue. I am GASing for an American strat in that color. The used going price is like 350 USD in mint condition, and I think they sold for like 500 new. Don't quote me on the prices though.
Quote by thrilla13w
The hotbar should be floating parallel to the principle axis at this point. Next, take a hammer, and beat yourself in the face while crying JIHAD. problem fixed.

Quote by Slaytanic1993
cowdude speaks words of infinite wisdomery.
Quote by splamron
wow, thats awesome, congrats

(sorry i can't answer the questions, but that is a pretty good deal)

Thats what I thought... especially with a squier sitting right next to it priced at $200.

Myself I am not a Fender guy, so I really have no idea how much they are worth... well I dont really know much about them at all (American is the best, Mexican is a decent, Squier can be bought at walmart)

But I do think I got a good deal, and would make a nice guitar for when people come over to play/my wife wants to learn/My kids decide to take up a full size
Quote by FLCLcowdude
You got a great deal. I am jealous. I love the color. It's called Agave Blue. I am GASing for an American strat in that color. The used going price is like 350 USD in mint condition, and I think they sold for like 500 new. Don't quote me on the prices though.

Im pretty sure the upgraded ones are 450 now.
Quote by FLCLcowdude

Sweet. Thanks man! This is a "Fat strat" right? Does the SSH make it worth less/more then the SSS config? I never was much into Fenders, but now that i own one, (even though I cant play it) I feel the need to learn about it.
very awesome deal, congrats
i used to be a mod, then i took an arrow in the knee.
Great deal for a mint guitar, used or not. It's practicaly new, 2004-2005 as I understand it (I looked up the serial number) you pretty much got a newish strat for less than half price.

Quote by stangconv
Thats what I thought... especially with a squier sitting right next to it priced at $200.

Myself I am not a Fender guy, so I really have no idea how much they are worth... well I dont really know much about them at all (American is the best, Mexican is a decent, Squier can be bought at walmart)

But I do think I got a good deal, and would make a nice guitar for when people come over to play/my wife wants to learn/My kids decide to take up a full size

You can't buy squier at walmart, they do carry some off brand crap, but not squier and as far as I know no store like walmart does. But you can buy a FENDER starcaster at like target, or Kmart, or some such store increadibly cheap, but still fender.
Last edited by david_highland at Jan 6, 2009,
not bad! my first guitar was a burgundy MIM strat

with this pickguard on it.

got it used with a gig bag for 400$ CAD. that guitar was sweet. i got rid of it, upgraded to ibanez and ESP when i started getting into heavier metal and rock,but i still wish i had it for jamming out a blues romp.
Quote by stangconv
Sweet. Thanks man! This is a "Fat strat" right? Does the SSH make it worth less/more then the SSS config? I never was much into Fenders, but now that i own one, (even though I cant play it) I feel the need to learn about it.

I am pretty sure it's a fat strat. I don't think the humbucker in the bridge makes it worth any more money, although I have never ever seen one of those MIM strats in that color as a fat strat. Maybe I just don't look around enough, lol. Anyway, great guitar.
Quote by thrilla13w
The hotbar should be floating parallel to the principle axis at this point. Next, take a hammer, and beat yourself in the face while crying JIHAD. problem fixed.

Quote by Slaytanic1993
cowdude speaks words of infinite wisdomery.
Schweet guitar. So you're gonna be the next Jimi Hendrix huh?
MY GEAR
Ibanez SA160QM
Laney HCM10
Squier Bullet Strat
MXR Carbon Copy
Zoom Tri Metal
Modtone Flanger(mini)
EHX LPB-1
Korg Pitchblack
Timtone acoustic
Quote by Broken-pick
Schweet guitar. So you're gonna be the next Jimi Hendrix huh?

Haha.. I am gonna put some strings on it right now... I was seriously considering stringit lefty... but I wont.
That looks sick
Pawn shops are great, found my tele in one for dirt cheap
for that stratand a case w/ it you got a great deal
Without spiritual mentoring, too much freedom can lead to the soul's decay
- Prince