When I play on the 13th fret on the High E the note doesn't sustain all.

It rings out really weird, wobbles and dies immediately. What is causing this? The fret almost feels a little higher than the rest when I slide past it.

I'm getting my guitar set up tomorrow and am gonna have them check this issue. I was just wondering what the issue is and what needs to be done.

Thanks for the Info!

Fractal Axe-Fx Ultra
EBMM JP7 Dargies Delight II
Manuel Rodriguez C Cedar Top
Quote by MAJOR
Check to see if the fret bar is lipping off the board a bit. amke sure your in tune as well...

it might also just be the strings. how old are they? are they in good condition?

I've had this issue since I bought the guitar in July. A Schecter Hellraiser Avenger by the way.

I change strings every 2 weeks and they are in good shape. And yes I am in tune and the intonation is spot on.

Fractal Axe-Fx Ultra
Quote by MAJOR
Alright then. well i got nothing for ya.

good luck bro!

Thanks, the tech at the shop is really good, i'm sure he has seen this before.

I think the fret might need to be dressed. It feels a little different when I'm sliding past it. It's annoying because my finger gets stuck on it sometimes.

Fractal Axe-Fx Ultra
Quote by Xx Andy xX
i hav the exact same problem with my epi les paul.
its a puzzler

It's really weird isn't it. It has an almost metallic vibrating sound then dies immediately.

Fractal Axe-Fx Ultra
Quote by Seamus O'shanty
The string might be bent right where it hits the actual fret

As in the string itself having a bend in it?

I doubt that's possible sense this has been the case since I got the guitar and I've restrung the guitar about 6 times since then.

I doubt 6 different strings would be bent in the exact same place.

Fractal Axe-Fx Ultra
I used to have a similar problem on my vester.

Seemed like the fret AFTER the "dead" one was a little higher than it should've been, and the string ended up hitting that. Solved the problem by raising the action slightly just for that string. No problemo since then.

Dunno if that's the case with yours, but you should definitely give it a look.
The fret wire might not be properly knocked in; i.e. the fretting is too high. It sounds a reasonable guess, since you say it looks higher.

Tap it in with a rubber hammer/take it to a pro.
Thanks for the help guys. I think the fret is a little high. I'm taking it in to the shop today anyway to have it set up in standard and checked over. I'm sure they will be able to fix the issue.

Fractal Axe-Fx Ultra