Does this guy play out of time?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P9hYyPDrqe0

Maybe I personally play out of time too when I don't have my metronome on. But this sounds out of time to me
Quote by razorback91
Im sorry, I just don't see how you could argue that hardcore isn't metal. That just seems arrogant to me.

Yes, its its own kind of metal, but its still metal.
he does
but not that much
Dean ML79F w/ Dimarzio X2N
Peavey Star
Fender Sonoran
Fender CD 140S12

Quote by Jastul
if you want it to sound really dirty just rub some dirt on your amp...
But it really sounds to fast at the open E's
Quote by razorback91
Im sorry, I just don't see how you could argue that hardcore isn't metal. That just seems arrogant to me.

I'm confused. Why are you commenting on some random 14 year old youtube guys playing? The guy is 14. Playing by himself. If I posted a topic about every guitarist on youtube playing out of time, my post count would be ultimate.
That helps me understand what playing out of time actually means. Í would say that it's horribly out of time. According to the replies on the thread I was wrong about that.
Quote by razorback91

It's played horribly out of time, and played with horrible dynamics.

Perfect example of kid that only learns the notes. This is totally not how metallica riffs should be played (or any metal riff for that matter) he's swingin' back and forth out of time so bad, the whole essence of the "straight in ur face" downpicking is lost.

That whole aggressive feel is gone. I mean how he plays it doesn't scare me and sounds more like seek & cuddle.

The "Re-incarnation of Plato" Award 2009
(most intelligent)
The "Good Samaritan" Award 2009 (most helpful)

[font="Palatino Linotype
Who's Andy Timmons??
Last edited by xxdarrenxx at Jan 6, 2009,
This kid plays that song better than I do. He also knows that whole 2nd part that I can't play yet. If you could play it better feel free to put your video on youtube and let the kid know, I'm sure he'll appreciate it.

If you think about it, the song is very long, and it's going to be hard to keep the steady rhythm going without any cues like the other instruments or a metronome would give to help keep you in time, especially in a longer song like Seek and Destroy.

You're watching videos of people doing it wrong though. If you want to get better, you should be watching videos of people doing it right.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b5wms7k0Wh4
Last edited by PlayingWithFood at Jan 6, 2009,
Quote by PlayingWithFood
This kid plays that song better than I do. He also knows that whole 2nd part that I can't play yet. If you could play it better feel free to put your video on youtube and let the kid know, I'm sure he'll appreciate it.

I know I can play it better, I'm not making a video just to please you. It lacks dynamic, and you don't need a metronome to play 8th notes palm-muted in time.

IF you want here's some of me jamming some metal riffs and ideas;
http://www.box.net/shared/yt5xpk59un

Besides that's not the point, I'd be lying to TS if I said that was played in time. I might came over a bit Harsh, sorry for that. I just answered TS's question.

I don't have the time to educate every guitarplayer on youtube, so I stick with helping people that come here on UG.

Quote by PlayingWithFood

If you think about it, the song is very long, and it's going to be hard to keep the steady rhythm going without any cues like the other instruments or a metronome would give to help keep you in time, especially in a longer song like Seek and Destroy.

My teacher told me not to be dependent of a drummer, cause drummers will play weird polyrhythm fills if they want to, and if you don't understand basic 4/4th time you will be lost when he plays 1 and people will laugh at u when ur onstage, cause ur totally lost.

If you don't wanna take this advice from me, then take it from Al Di Meola;
http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=TZ4FZ80Qdd8&feature=related

(most intelligent)

[font="Palatino Linotype
Who's Andy Timmons??
Yea but even those polygonicalational 13/17 notes that the drummers do still provide more cues than complete silence. The kid didn't have a drummer, no bassist, no other guitarist, no backing track, no metronome. Nothing to let him know he went out of time, so he lost some rhythm, it's no big deal.
Quote by PlayingWithFood
Yea but even those polygonicalational 13/17 notes that the drummers do still provide more cues than complete silence. The kid didn't have a drummer, no bassist, no other guitarist, no backing track, no metronome. Nothing to let him know he went out of time, so he lost some rhythm, it's no big deal.

Yes, but there's a difference with gradually slowing down or speeding up a piece and going out of time within the riff and play it so un-dynamic.

Small audio Example:
http://www.box.net/shared/34fnvmu6ux

The first riff u hear is straight and "somewhat" correct in time, but it's feel is "Swaying" for the lack of a better word.

2nd riff is same settings, same sound, same riff, but with dynamics. It's driving and wants to makes ur head go. (well maybe not that hard, but you can hear the "pulse" in this riff, and that it sounds more aggressive.

Both played without a drummer, so that's no excuse.

Calling it no big deal is EXACTLY what separates "okay" guitar from "good" guitar.

I'm not the best guitarist, and I probably will never be. But I'm aware of it and I keep on continuing to get my playing tighter and tighter.

(most intelligent)

[font="Palatino Linotype
Who's Andy Timmons??
What's no big deal is that the kid dropped the beat a few times. I said nothing about his dynamics, or even whether his playing was good or not. Anyone could tell that it's not how it's suppose to sound.

I think the original poster was wondering if it was normal to get off time a little, not whether or not this was the end all be all of metallica covers
Quote by 08L1V10N
Does this guy play out of time?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P9hYyPDrqe0

Maybe I personally play out of time too when I don't have my metronome on. But this sounds out of time to me

Well, yeah a bit, and there are plenty of other things you could pick on, but why be a dick and call him out on it ? What good does that do?
shred is gaudy music
Quote by GuitarMunky
Well, yeah a bit, and there are plenty of other things you could pick on, but why be a dick and call him out on it ? What good does that do?

I have no harm against the dude, but I hate people say it's not a "big thing". Imo that is exactly the reason why so many guitarplayers play "underpar".

I know you should play for enjoyment, I was just pointing out why those (metallica) riffs have that effect, that the essence of those riffs lies in the dynamics and not necesarilly the notes played.

srry, I just wanna see more good guitarplayers and bands in the future.

(most intelligent)

[font="Palatino Linotype
Who's Andy Timmons??
Quote by PlayingWithFood

actually it is a big deal, its one of the most important techiques you need to know on the guitar.

I've met some people who could play pretty damned well but were seriously lacking rhythm.. its impossible to play with them, you're of more use playing with someone else if you can just play simple chords in time than if you can play ****loads of famous songs and solos but have no sense of timing
Quote by xxdarrenxx
I have no harm against the dude, but I hate people say it's not a "big thing". Imo that is exactly the reason why so many guitarplayers play "underpar".

I know you should play for enjoyment, I was just pointing out why those riffs have that effect. srry

So many players are "under par" because there are so many players. There will always be people at all levels of the skill spectrum. You're not going to dramatically change the noob to pro ratio by pointing out the flaws in some noob kids video.

I actually hate when I see people correcting other peoples videos. "uhh dude that's incorrect, you should have played...... blah blah blah" I say make your own damn video and leave the poor kid alone.

I think some people just get off on pointing out the flaws of others. It's easy to do, even when you're a noob yourself, and it serves to boost the ego, and take the focus away from your own issues. (not directed at you personally but at the concept in general....its very prevalent here at UG and I see it all the time on YouTube)
shred is gaudy music
Last edited by GuitarMunky at Jan 6, 2009,
The entire ordeal started by the user you're standing up for saying

"that video was fine he plays it better than me, if you think you can do better post a video yourself "

well, it clearly wasen't that good so Darren pointed out the flaws
Quote by Peaceful Rocker
The entire ordeal started by the user you're standing up for saying

"that video was fine he plays it better than me, if you think you can do better post a video yourself "

well, it clearly wasen't that good so Darren pointed out the flaws

I thought it started with you calling this kid out on his bad timing, and when he said it's fine you came here for backup/confirmation.

Quote by xxdarrenxx

srry, I just wanna see more good guitarplayers and bands in the future.

I think the best way to influence people is purely by example. If you do something good, someone will be inspired and positively effected by it. If you just point out flaws all the time (not saying you do personally).... you end up just spreading negativity.
shred is gaudy music
Last edited by GuitarMunky at Jan 6, 2009,
Quote by GuitarMunky
So many players are "under par" because there are so many players. There will always be people at all levels of the skill spectrum. You're not going to dramatically change the noob to pro ratio by pointing out the flaws in some noob kids video.

I actually hate when I see people correcting other peoples videos. "uhh dude that's incorrect, you should have played...... blah blah blah" I say make your own damn video and leave the poor kid alone.

I think some people just get off on pointing out the flaws of others. It's easy to do, even when you're a noob yourself, and it serves to boost the ego, and take the focus away from your own issues. (not directed at you personally but at the concept in general....its very prevalent here at UG and I see it all the time on YouTube)

EDIT: GM; I just read ur last post; I explain below that I explained it.

I understand.

However, it's not in my ego to point out mistakes to get off on it. It's just in my nature to help people like that.

Although it's not towarded me,

I linked 1 video of me playing metal riffs to clearly act cool against the user who challenged me.

However the 2nd example (Audiofile) I was explaining the difference of why 1 sounds better then the other, and how for the same riff dynamics can make or break it.

I teach guitar to people, both for my own learning, for money (gotta pay my appartment) and to learn people stuff. I learn a to and if I make a mistake in my learnings I learn from it back.

I made so many discoveries on musical ground in MT already, which I'm very happy for.

Btw; I guess I did started, and my post towards the kid was a bit harsh(the kid didn't actually posted the vid, but TS just linked a random vid), but I was being honest to TS, that the piece had bad timing and bad dynamics.

I sometimes forget that internet are real people (I'm more of a social-in-real-life person)

I can't help everyone on youtube, and Like I said, I already have guitarstudents irl and try to help people here. It's already taking up almost all my time.

(most intelligent)

[font="Palatino Linotype
Who's Andy Timmons??
Its all good, I wasn't trying to start an argument at all. I believe you have good intentions when posting.

My original post was really aimed at the TS for calling the kid out on his timing. I mean how many thousands of vids on Youtube are that bad or worse? The kid in the vid is an absolute noob. He can play a riff he likes, and it's..... okay.... not great, not horrible..... but hes enjoying it and will likely get better as time goes on. There are a ton of things I could pick on about it, but I don't see the point unless he asked for my advice.
shred is gaudy music
Honestly, I wasn't picking on anything or ever meant to. But I was just wondering if it;s out of time or not
Quote by razorback91

The most probable reasons why he's out of time is either that he has a poor sense of rhythm and doesn't practice with a metronome, or he's too concentrated on playing and getting the notes right than to listen to what it sounds like.
Quote by 08L1V10N
Honestly, I wasn't picking on anything or ever meant to. But I was just wondering if it;s out of time or not

it's not perfectly in time all the way through, but for what it is, it's not horrible.

Quote by michal23
The most probable reasons why he's out of time is either that he has a poor sense of rhythm and doesn't practice with a metronome, or he's too concentrated on playing and getting the notes right than to listen to what it sounds like.

or he's just a noob, and will get better as he develops his skills. ( something we all go through)
shred is gaudy music
Last edited by GuitarMunky at Jan 8, 2009,
Quote by GuitarMunky
it's not perfectly in time all the way through, but for what it is, it's not horrible.

I still slightly disagree, I rather see him play that riff with slightly different notes, but with good timing, cause music and especially metal music loses it's "style/sound/" if you don't play it dynamic.

In this case, it's the delivery that matters more then the notes.

(most intelligent)

[font="Palatino Linotype
Who's Andy Timmons??
Quote by xxdarrenxx
I still slightly disagree, I rather see him play that riff with slightly different notes, but with good timing, cause music and especially metal music loses it's "style/sound/" if you don't play it dynamic.

In this case, it's the delivery that matters more then the notes.

Why be so judgemental of a noob like the kid in the vid? What good does that do? There are literally hundreds of thousands of kids just like him, and most of us went through that phase as well. Some will get better, some won't. Your criticism won't change that.

Were you always totally awesome, or did you develop your skills over time?
shred is gaudy music
Quote by GuitarMunky
Why be so judgemental of a noob like the kid in the vid? What good does that do? There are literally hundreds of thousands of kids just like him, and most of us went through that phase as well. Some will get better, some won't. Your criticism won't change that.

Were you always totally awesome, or did you develop your skills over time?

Ah yes ur right.

I dunno; I keep forgetting it isn't TS.

I will stop.

Should close this thread.

(most intelligent)

[font="Palatino Linotype
Who's Andy Timmons??
Yeah of c0urse1m bashign the yout00b kids to get my ego +100.

Honestly, when I made the thread I didn't even knew if the kid was a noob. Maybe he played the riff very tight. I was just asking... that's it.
Quote by razorback91

Quote by PlayingWithFood

Personally I have a much easier time playing 4 with no backing than with a thirteen against seventeen backing, but that might just be me :S
Who cares? Seriously, TS, it is stupid that you are making a thread about a 14 year old who can't play so well yet. If he keeps going and practicing, he will get better timing, he will probably find a better tone, so why make a troll thread about someone who obviously hasnt been playing too long?
Quote by GuitarMunky
I thought it started with you calling this kid out on his bad timing, and when he said it's fine you came here for backup/confirmation.

I think the best way to influence people is purely by example. If you do something good, someone will be inspired and positively effected by it. If you just point out flaws all the time (not saying you do personally).... you end up just spreading negativity.

if a musician cant take criticism they are in the wrong business, hes pointing out his flaws because maybe the kid doesnt know what hes doing wrong and possibly by him getting told he can work on it. after all the whole point of putting up covers on youtube is to see what other people think about your playing. everyone should always take criticism positively and work on what they are doing wrong
Quote by Myung-trucci
Who cares? Seriously, TS, it is stupid that you are making a thread about a 14 year old who can't play so well yet. If he keeps going and practicing, he will get better timing, he will probably find a better tone, so why make a troll thread about someone who obviously hasnt been playing too long?

Read my post on this page nub
Quote by razorback91

I'm going take a different tact and disregard your reasons, whether malicious or not. He plays it out of time, especially the pedal notes.
Quote by Zaphod_Beeblebr
Theory is descriptive, not prescriptive.

Quote by MiKe Hendryckz
theory states 1+1=2 sometimes in music 1+1=3.