I'm currently playing on an Aspen acoustic that I bought from a pawn shop for cheap and I absolutely love it. However, it doesn't plug into an amp, and I really don't want to/have the money to buy a new guitar that does.

So I know you can have microphones installed in an acoustic, you can get soundhole pickups etc, but I want something that will make it like a traditional acoustic/electric guitar. Sorry for the layman terms, I just don't really know how exactly to put it.

I don't like the pickups that bridge the soundhole. I think they're ugly and I don't want a cable running from my soundhole. Not only that, I remember hearing somewhere that it can damage your guitar.

I'm not really looking to spend a lot of money on it, but I want it to be good quality, obviously. Someone recommended I get a Fishman acoustic pickup or something? I dunno. Basically nothing that exceeds 150-200. If you'd like to recommend something a little higher and a lot better quality, that's fine too, I could probably save up some money.

So - what's up guys? Hoping for some good answers. Thanks.

PS: My Traynor YCV40 is gonna be here later today. I'll post pics and clips once I get enough energy/time/etc.
Gear:
Fender USA Standard Strat
1972 Aria "Lawsuit" Les Paul

Marshall JCM 900 Dual Reverb w/Randall cab
Traynor YCV40

Effects: (working on it..)
EHX Holy Grail Reverb
BOSS DD-6
Dunlop Crybaby Wah
1978 MXR Dist.+
rare earth, great pickyp

soundhole pickups will not harm your guitar. they are actually less work to install and better for the guitar.

you are probally going to need to at least route out ur endpin for a jack so keep that cost in mind.
i enjoy head
Quote by Jazzcore23
rare earth, great pickyp

soundhole pickups will not harm your guitar. they are actually less work to install and better for the guitar.

you are probally going to need to at least route out ur endpin for a jack so keep that cost in mind.

Well I know that they're less work to install, but aren't they a bit bothersome? I don't know, it just seems like having it there while playing would get in my way. Maybe that's just me. I'll look more into them though. I really haven't explored many options, I just came here for initial guidance in what to look for.
Gear:

Traynor YCV40

EHX Holy Grail Reverb
BOSS DD-6
Dunlop Crybaby Wah
1978 MXR Dist.+
If you don't mind doing a bit of work installing it, you can get a piezo pickup that installs as a thin sliver under the bridge. I believe piezo pickups also require the installation of a preamp. But unless you often find yourself putting your hand into the soundhole, a soundhole pickup shouldn't interfere with your playing at all.
Hi, I'm Peter
Last edited by Dirk Gently at Jan 6, 2009,
Quote by burn out on me
Not only that, I remember hearing somewhere that it can damage your guitar.

How come? i was thinking of doing something like that also, but im not sure and asking now do pickups receive the sound from nylon strings? i would assume yes, since ive seen some electro acoustic nylon stringed guitars, but will any pickups do it?
Quote by szekelymihai
How come? i was thinking of doing something like that also, but im not sure and asking now do pickups receive the sound from nylon strings? i would assume yes, since ive seen some electro acoustic nylon stringed guitars, but will any pickups do it?

Lol, you probably shouldn't be asking me the questions about all this stuff. I was the one asking questions in the first place

But yeah, I thought I remembered reading somewhere that someone put in a soundhole pickup and it started cracking the wood surrounding the soundhole. Or something. I read it online a long time ago and my memory isn't always that well, so I wouldn't put a great deal of faith in what I'm saying, lol.
Gear:

Traynor YCV40

EHX Holy Grail Reverb
BOSS DD-6
Dunlop Crybaby Wah
1978 MXR Dist.+
like said, toss a pup under the bridge saddle and put a small hole in the bottom for a jack.

it'll work well. you can probably have it done and still be under budget.
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62
Jenny needs to sow her wild oats with random Gibsons and Taylors she picks up in bars before she settles down with a PRS.

Set up Questions? ...Q & A Thread

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A/GB&C WTLT Lists 2011
Quote by burn out on me
Lol, you probably shouldn't be asking me the questions about all this stuff. I was the one asking questions in the first place

lol indeed, sorry man, you're right.Hope you do manage with your problems, since im not to helpfully