I have about 7 pedals and I want to know what the best/proper configuration for them is. The way I currently have them set up is show below and it sounds pretty sweet, but if anyone sees that a pedal should be in a different place to optimize/minimize sound/noise could you please help me out. Thanks.

---------------|
effects loop <----BOSS Loop Station<----Line 6 Delay----<---BOSS Super Chorus-<-
| |--------------------------------------------------------------------|
| --------<--Ibanez Tube Screamer------<----Cry Baby Wah
-----AMP-----
|
----input------<---BOSS TU2 Tuner (attached from)<----Ernie Ball Volume<----Telecaster
|
----------------
Kind screwed up the picture when it posted but my amp has an effects loop and a seperate input jack, that is what I was trying to illustrate.
You said...."it sounds pretty sweet".

If thats the case, you shouldn't change a thing.

Your diagram is kind of confusing. Is the Tube Screamer in the effects loop?
Effects loops are geared for Line Level input/output devices (ie nominal 1VRMS). Pedals are generally designed to accept guitar PU levels in the millivolt range (ie < 100 mvrms). Therefore, pedals should not be inserted into the effects loop of an amplifier as the level coming out of the effects loop into them is too high! Line outs are good for patching into a mixer or recorder or for use with line level effects which are normally rack mount style not floor mount.
Moving on.....
Yeah I am currently running my wah and overdrive through the effects loop. Is this not the right thing to do? Reason why I put the Wah in the effects loop is because I think there is an impedance mismatch between the wah and the volume. I had them in series before and when I turned the wah on the volume cut out by half, in the effects loop it doesnt do this.

Thoughts?
Then leave it just how it is.
Yes, there are suggested orders that you can go along with but nothing is set in stone.
If that set up is giving you the sound you want then don't worry about it.
Put the Volume pedal in the loop, before the delay for some realy cool swells. Having it in the loop means less loss of gain when turning it down. In its current position, it is just like the volume pot on you guitar.
Quote by ChrisCollini
Yeah I am currently running my wah and overdrive through the effects loop. Is this not the right thing to do? Reason why I put the Wah in the effects loop is because I think there is an impedance mismatch between the wah and the volume. I had them in series before and when I turned the wah on the volume cut out by half, in the effects loop it doesnt do this.

Thoughts?

Well, OD/Distortion pedals are typically run very early in the chain. Wahs are usually the very first (after a pedal tuner) or sometimes placed right after OD/Distortion.

But as was said... if it aint broke don't fix it.
I just wanted some insight on whether I could indirectly break my pedals by putting them in the wrong place/order.
If it were me....

Guitar --> tuner, wah, TS, chorus, delay --> amp -->fx loop out-->loop station-->fx loop in

Not sure about the volume, because I've never used one... I'd try it between the wah and the TS first, though.

Like someone said earlier - most stomp boxes are designed to go between the guitar and the amp, and FX loops are more for rack mount effects.

The only reason I say to leave the loop station in the fx loop is so you can record the sound after it's been colored by the preamp as opposed to before.

But, I don't think it will hurt any of your pedals to put them in the fx loop if that's what you want to do.
Gear

Gibson '57 Les Paul Reissue
Marshall TSL 601
EHX: Big Muff, Metal Muff, Small Stone, POG, 2880
Ibanez TS808
Voodoo Labs Microvibe
Analogman Chorus
Morley Bad Horsie II
Keeley Compressor (C4)
Nova Delay
MXR 10-band EQ
Last edited by Guitartist at Jan 6, 2009,