Hey,
I'm thinking of doing a sort of prog rock project, maybe a 40 minute EP kind of thing.

I'm pretty much sorted for drums and bass but getting a cool keys/guitar effect is a little more difficult.

I've decided that a delay is a must, so i'm looking into buying a Boss dd-7, seems to have a wide range of modes for me to piss around with.

I might buy a phaser of some kind as well to add some sort of mellow instrumental part.

I was also thinking about ring modulators. I tried figuring out where some of the sounds are coming from on The Mars Volta's "De-Loused..." album and some parts sound quite modulated but i couldn't figure out if it was guitar or some kind of keyboard synth. So are there any cool ring modulators on the market i should be looking at?

Also, as far as keyboards go, what kind of synthesizers are common with prog?

Feel free to mention any other cool effects that sound cool in prog if you know any.

Thanks
Dan
I hope you're kidding...

The whole point to Prog is doing something new and progressive. You can't ask for advice on it or it because someone elses. Then, it's no longer progressive. It's borrowed and not genuine. ...that doesn't look spelled right...
Quote by CynicEidolon
I hope you're kidding...

The whole point to Prog is doing something new and progressive. You can't ask for advice on it or it because someone elses. Then, it's no longer progressive. It's borrowed and not genuine. ...that doesn't look spelled right...

I think your confusing the term progressive rock with indie music
This will just be for recording right? I don't really know what your budget is like, but I'd go for a Line 6 DL4 in terms of delay - much, much better than the DD-7.

Can't really go wrong with an EHX Small Stoner phaser - or the more expensive (but infinitely better) option is grabbing a Mutron Biphase.

You could grab a DOD Gonkulator - the world's worst ring mod. Most ring mods are pretty expensive, like the Moog, but I think the EHX Frequency Analyzer is pretty reasonably priced. For sort delayed ring modulator sounds, you could grab an old Digitech PDS 20/20 and adjust the internal trim pots for up to 20 seconds of delay. Tons upon tons of crazy sounds in there. I'd highly recommend this.

As far as keys/synthesizers go, you can't really go wrong with any type of Nord. Expensive as hell, but damn nice. Again, I don't know how much you want to spend, but you could look at a Roland Phantom or Korg Triton.

Good luck!

╠═══════╬═══════╣

THE ARCHITECT σƒ τλε τρπ βπστλεπλσσδ

╠═══════╬═══════╣

drone/doom/post-metal: http://theygrieve.bandcamp.com
Quote by nightraven
the moogerfooger ring modulator is great, but very expensive. a cheaper ring mod could be the electro harmonix frequency analyzer.
stacking delays on top of each other is also awesome.

Yea i saw that moog pedal, looks amazing but a bit pricey. I'm not sure whether a keyboard soft synth would work just as well.
Quote by sleazydan
I think your confusing the term progressive rock with indie music

no, he isn't

the clue's in the name.

Indie should (and did, once) mean independant - like, recording, producing, managing yourself (or at least without big label input & cash). A kind of DIY attitude.

Progressive is, as said above, more about innovating and pushing the boundaries of what is accepted as normal within your genre.
Quote by shoolocomous
no, he isn't

the clue's in the name.

Indie should (and did, once) mean independant - like, recording, producing, managing yourself (or at least without big label input & cash). A kind of DIY attitude.

Progressive is, as said above, more about innovating and pushing the boundaries of what is accepted as normal within your genre.

it was a joke, referring to the blatent plagiarism surrounding british indie music today.

*facepalms*
Quote by sleazydan
it was a joke, referring to the blatent plagiarism surrounding british indie music today.

*facepalms*

It was ingeniously hidden.
Quote by xwearesinking
This will just be for recording right? I don't really know what your budget is like, but I'd go for a Line 6 DL4 in terms of delay - much, much better than the DD-7.

Get both, The DD7 is great as a stand alone delay, but look into getting a dl4, if not or even if also look into an MXR carbon Copy Delay or any high quality Analog delay.
A whammy pedal isn't a bad shout and Eye pedals do good, cheap ring modulaters.
Quote by ZanasCross
I'm now so drunk that even if my mom had given me a blow job at aeg 2, i'd be like I'm a pmp, butches.!

If this even madkes sense... if yhou sig this, Iw ll kill you.
if you are more interested in recording the music, i dont know if i would even buy a synth (unless you can already play one well). any decent program that can take some plug-ins would do just as well, if not better than an inexpensive synth. most synth keyboards that are cheap arent going to have touch responsiveness or even great sounds. programming the stuff in MIDI on your computer would allow you much more control and would probably ultimately be better. any time i want synthy sounds, something a little out there, or even just a little extra touch, i go to fruitly loops instead of messing with a keyboard.