Is it possible to test swirl with anything other than wood? I don't really have any other wood and it would be great if I could test swirl with something else. Any ideas? Also, on the project guitar tutorial it says to not use testors paint, on here i've seen people say they used it and it worked fine, anyone care to confirm that? It also says to make sure the body is sealed, does that just mean the screw holes? One final question, do you sand the body after you swirl it in order to apply the clear finish or just apply the finish?
Member #38 of Alter Bridge Rocks Club PM Logz to join
I have no experience with this but can help a little.

I imagine you can use various materials for testing. Just try it on something you don't care about. Might need to scuff the gloss off it's like a plastic piece.

On the type of paint, I don't know. The testors in the tubes won't work unless you thin it. Better idea is to just follow the tutorial. You know that works. I picked up a small container of plasti-kote last night at wal-mart. It's oil based and the right color.

I am also not sure of what you are supposed to use as a base coat. Primer is recommended but I got gloss white paint that I will use. I probably just need to go get sandable primer as I need to fill any sanding scratches left behind.

Filling the holes with wax is recommended which is easily removed after dipping. This means any hole.

Sealing the body I assume means it needs to be fully painted somehow. IE, no bare wood being exposed.

As far as clearing after, I think you spray a couple coats of clear, sand lightly(knock the high spots down), spray again and build up, sand again, and repeat that process until you have a uniform surface.

This is just what I've seen online from my searching.
Alright, that answered the majority of my questions, thank you. I don't have the testors paint in a tube though, I have the little glass bottles of enamel I believe it was it says on it.

http://www.testors.com/category/50736/Paints

The second category down, the enamel paints...I have the bottle on the right.
Fair enough, i'll give it a go then unless someone else has anything to add.
You can test on anything, basically you swirl over a base coat, so anything you can paint with a base coat, you can swirl over, there was a guy on here who swirled his hand and a snail amongst other things lmao

you have to seal the body from water, your dipping your guitar in a huge tub of water, if any of that gets to the wood you can have problems with swelling and splitting etc, so after you have the base coat on, which will cover up most of the wood, you then go and fill all the holes with wax, anything where there is bare wood showing needs to be sealed.

DONT sand the swirl! Swirls are very thin finishes, if you sand it you are likely to go through, just start applying clear, and level the clear when you have enough on the guitar.

Quote by dogismycopilot
Absent Mind, words cant express how much i love you. Id bone you, oh yea.

Quote by lumberjack
Absent Mind is, as usual, completely correct.

Quote by littlemurph7976
Id like to make my love for Neil public knowledge as he is a beautiful man
Haha never though of using my hand haha Alright thats good though. I think I got the holes thing now, so like holes that have any bare wood showing need to be filled. Like the neck pocket...maybe those little holes that go from cavity to cavity for the wires? that's about it right?
Yeah, any hole (is a goal).

Quote by dogismycopilot
Absent Mind, words cant express how much i love you. Id bone you, oh yea.

Quote by lumberjack
Absent Mind is, as usual, completely correct.

Quote by littlemurph7976
Id like to make my love for Neil public knowledge as he is a beautiful man