I had a old squier pbass lying around that I havent used in a while and decided to customize it. I'm going to be turning it into a fretless and am going to order a warmoth 22 fret ebony fretless neck. Now here is my question, I want to put a bridge jazz pup in
(Invalid img)
Now of course the electronic cavity is in the Front and dosent have a rear cavity, so whats the best way to install the pickup so that I can route it in under the pick cover?
You can just remove the frets on the current neck. I've never done it but it's a very common procedure and it'll save you funds.
Quote by Ptolemy
I had a old squier pbass lying around that I havent used in a while and decided to customize it. I'm going to be turning it into a fretless and am going to order a warmoth 22 fret ebony fretless neck. Now here is my question, I want to put a bridge jazz pup in
(Invalid img)
Now of course the electronic cavity is in the Front and dosent have a rear cavity, so whats the best way to install the pickup so that I can route it in under the pick cover?

...How can you put a bridge J pup UNDER the pickguard?

Wait, you mean route a space from the J pup (which will be installed on the body, no where near the pickguard), under the pickguard and out to the control cavity? A small angled drill bit should do this...

Can you explain this again? maybe on paint or photoshop?

Ps - I think he wants the ebony fretboard for the tonal qualities, it would add a bit of clunk to a very bass heavy tone (P pup, fretless and Rosewood fretboard).
Basically want it done like a pbass special.

http://elderly.com/images/fmic/55N/SQPBR-WAL_body-front.jpg

It's done a lot so I know it cant be to hard, just dident know exactly how to go about it.

Jim:
Micehorns hit the nail on the head. My rosewood board would make it be a little bass heavy, plus I want to try and get a different look.

Dont know what the actual neck should be made out of, suggestions anybody? Was thinking walnut but not sure.

Also trying to decide on what I color I should paint it, was like this before

http://www.flickr.com/photos/rbieber/9658339/

So want to get a ebony fingureboard and have it epoxied, though that might be a bit counter productive so probably wont. Also going to be putting in EMG pups, have them in my Schecter and like them really well. Other than that just going to pick up a Badass III bridge and a new pickguard.

Ill post pictures soon, just got a new digi cam and trying to figure it out right now.

Any comments/suggestions would be appreciated. Not sure if the EMG pickups are the right choice but thats where I was headed.
Quote by Ptolemy
Basically want it done like a pbass special.

http://elderly.com/images/fmic/55N/SQPBR-WAL_body-front.jpg

It's done a lot so I know it cant be to hard, just dident know exactly how to go about it.

Jim:
Micehorns hit the nail on the head. My rosewood board would make it be a little bass heavy, plus I want to try and get a different look.

Dont know what the actual neck should be made out of, suggestions anybody? Was thinking walnut but not sure.

Also trying to decide on what I color I should paint it, was like this before

http://www.flickr.com/photos/rbieber/9658339/

So want to get a ebony fingureboard and have it epoxied, though that might be a bit counter productive so probably wont. Also going to be putting in EMG pups, have them in my Schecter and like them really well. Other than that just going to pick up a Badass III bridge and a new pickguard.

Ill post pictures soon, just got a new digi cam and trying to figure it out right now.

Any comments/suggestions would be appreciated. Not sure if the EMG pickups are the right choice but thats where I was headed.

Make the routing for the J pup, I can't remember the exact measurements off hand, but they'll be online. I've had two basses that have done this different, one bass had a rout from the new pickup space straight to the control cavity, another one went from the J pick up space, to the P pick up, then down to the control cavity. I guess the latter is the tiniest bit easier..if easier means not drilling another 2/3 cm. Oh and another thing, remember your Jazz pup will have a lug (I think? the sticky out bit for the screws to fit it). People seem to forget this and can't get the pick up in!

expoxy just incase, I'm expoxying mine. After a few weeks reading online, it seems safe to do and will protect the fretboard. Don't worry, its a very thin layer. Oh and Ebony plus the shine of epoxy = beautiful.

Pickups..hmm.. I like Bartolini or Nordstrand. Barts are a little 'bassier', but can still perform any tone you ask of them. The Nords are the same. If you're looking for a nice clunk...dare I say it, some Seymour Duncan SPB-3s. Might just be TOO bright though.

Neck - Standard Fender neck - Maple. Maybe Birds Eye maple or my favourite neck, Wenge (I'm sure it's just wenge, the ones on the Warwick Thumbs).

Colour - Olympic White, Black pickguard, Black BadAss2, Ebony fretboard, White headstock. *drools*

Phheww think that about covers everything! Enjoy your creation.
Just got done sanding it down pretty much. Going to have to smooth it out a bit and fix a little knick I made in it but other than I should be able to get painting soon. Only question is, since im ordering a new neck from wormoth, should I paint the headstock myself or get them to paint it? If I do it myself should I clear the headstock as well?

Will have pictures up when I get home from work.
you want a badass 2 for a squier not a badass 3, badass 3's is a string thru body bridge and your squier is a toploader so you need a toploading badass 2 bridge
Quote by bassmanjoe08
Dan

Don't stop being you <3

Quote by fatgoogle
I think after this relentless adding for the last 10 mins, that Dan is the coolest looking. Goddamn welsh people and my great etc etc etc etc etc granddad is welsh.
Quote by Ptolemy
Meant 2 not 3, is 2 grooved or not?

They make a pre grooved and an ungrooved version.
Pics!

After a little sanding (ie. about 3 hours ) I used a belt sander that dident really do to well so thats why the sanding pattern looks wierd

Then pretty much done, just need to repair some of the tiny divets I made, color looks weird because I took these pics right after I cleaned it with mineral spirits.

Quote by The_Kelaninator
pics?

Bit unnessecary but I was showing my cousin who knows nothing of guitars as well.

Hmm..which way to route the J pup wire? I've seen both ways, but im just wondering if the "green" way could interfer with the P-pup?

Sanding removes the fun from mod'ing. I'm on my 5th sheet of 80 grade trying to sand this sickening primer off a body at the moment. and that's an electric palm sander.

Everything is looking good so far!
Yeah sanding it sucked, I hand sanded after I got most of it off with a belt sander and it still took around 4 hours to finish it.

I'm actually going down to a local music shop that sells used stuff and see if I can find a bass i like with a decent body for cheap.
Quote by Ptolemy
Meant 2 not 3, is 2 grooved or not?

I actually use mine without having ever filed the grooves and I've heard of a lot of folks doing the same. It's something to consider if you love artificial harmonics-it seems to make them jump out like crazy. The strings don't actually slip around or anything--though you might get a little more glassy zing in your sound.
Quote by dullsilver_mike
I actually use mine without having ever filed the grooves and I've heard of a lot of folks doing the same. It's something to consider if you love artificial harmonics-it seems to make them jump out like crazy. The strings don't actually slip around or anything--though you might get a little more glassy zing in your sound.

That's actually something to consider, I love messing with harmonics and chords so that might be a good idea for me to try, and if I dont like it I can have a tech file them or I can file them myself.