im having some confusion as to what chords to use while modal playing.

lets say for example i was in A Dorian (the second mode of G major, just A to A with an F#<----right?)

would i use the same chords that i would for G major? (Am, Bm, C, D, Em, F#dim, G)? and the tonal center would be A making the I chord the Am.

is this correct?
sorry if it was worded a little strange, if you have trouble understanding i'll do my best to re-word.
usually with modes you'd use vamps
Quote by joshjhasarrived
Little does the government suspect that it's funds are being rapidly drained through funding infinite free cardboard boxes to bored teenagers on an internet forum.
You can't just "make" the tonal centre A, if you use that many chords then you're not going to be able to establish modality....your safest bet for A Dorian is something like a static Am chord.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
Modes play big role in music which doesn't have a chord progression but does have a somewhat harmonic foundation.

A bass line for instance plays only root notes of chords, and modes really shine over bass riffs, and can make up a big role in getting a "interesting sound" in trio's. It's the reason when in for example blues trio's people switch between major and minor based scales and can use chromatics without "clashing" on anything, because you can use all the 12 notes over any bass note without audibly clashing with harmony (It can however clash with what ur (subconciously) used to hear, but once you break out of this you hear the richness of modes.

It's why modes are so popular in instrumental rock, cause often there's 1 guitar player who plays the main role. They do have backup players sometimes, but this is to fatten up the sound, and dont' play a key harmonic role, but rather add another (harmonic) layer to the sound (often playing small embelishments or powerchords)

Mind that this is not Modal Music, but learning the modes can help a lot with developing interesting sound and modulation over bass lines, due to their suggestive nature of harmony.

Trio's ftw imo.

The "Re-incarnation of Plato" Award 2009
(most intelligent)
The "Good Samaritan" Award 2009 (most helpful)

[font="Palatino Linotype
Who's Andy Timmons??
Last edited by xxdarrenxx at Jan 6, 2009,
Quote by Guitar x Dude 7
im having some confusion as to what chords to use while modal playing.

lets say for example i was in A Dorian (the second mode of G major, just A to A with an F#<----right?)

would i use the same chords that i would for G major? (Am, Bm, C, D, Em, F#dim, G)? and the tonal center would be A making the I chord the Am.

is this correct?
sorry if it was worded a little strange, if you have trouble understanding i'll do my best to re-word.

Yes.

The A Dorian shares the same notes with G major and therefore shares the same basic triads as G major.

The difference between the two is that in G major G is the home note; G major the home chord. In A Dorian A is the home note; Am the home chord.

If you can use those chords you listed to give the sense that Am is the stable home chord then you're onto A Dorian.

Best of Luck.

EDIT: so long as A is the home chord/note then you're in Dorian. You can use as many chords as you want it doesn't matter. All that matters is you keep that A as the tone everything else is heard in relation to. This has to be something that is clear it can't be that way cause you want it to, it actually has to sound like it resolves to Am.
Si
Last edited by 20Tigers at Jan 6, 2009,
Quote by Guitar x Dude 7
so even when modal playing, the tonal center does not change?

you're approaching it backwards - you can't just decide to "play modally" and the tonal centre will magically change...rather you need to do something to fix the tonal centre yourself to enable you to play modally.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com