Page 1 of 2
Hi,

I have a pc but i like the apple OS better, so can i install it on a pc or would i have to buy a mac?

And if its possible i'd like the specs. And please no comments like " apple sucks windows rulez zomg "
kthxbai.
apple sucks windows rulez zomg
Quote by Kensai
Ovenman, your contraptions make women's

clothes evaporate.

I WANT THE TWOOTH!

Quote by aaciseric
That's far too clever to be posted in the Pit.
As I understand it you can install a buggy cracked version of Mac OS but it pretty much blows.

You have to buy a Mac.
yeah you can do it.
Quote by FrenchyFungus
Hey y'all!!! Me and my friend were over at her house. I we were wonder what guys think when they see a hot girl at the mall or whatever walk by. (We're both pretty as y'all would say "blonde" sometimes).

Quote by rabidguitarist
I just look like some homo.
Quote by Ovenman
apple sucks windows rulez zomg

Could've seen that one coming...
kthxbai.
Quote by freedoms_stain
As I understand it you can install a buggy cracked version of Mac OS but it pretty much blows.

You have to buy a Mac.

QFT

if you can afford to, buy a Mac, you can run Windows on them anyway. You'd regret running a so-called 'Hackintosh'. You're even more limited hardware-wise than if you actually buy a Mac, and it is extremely buggy.
You're using UG classic, congratulations.
You should be using UG classic.

E-Married to Guitar0Player

http://the llama forum because its gone forever which sucks and I hate it.
buy a mac and use boot camp to put windows on it. best of both worlds. better hardware and OS x reliabilty, with out getting rid of any PC ;rograms you need.
Quote by freedoms_stain

You have to buy a Mac.

Listen to the man.
Quote by cthuludawn21
buy a mac and use boot camp to put windows on it. best of both worlds. better hardware and OS x reliabilty, with out getting rid of any PC ;rograms you need.
Better hardware?

I could build a better quality spec'd PC for less than the cost of a Mac. Even with legal windows and a massive monitor.
Quote by freedoms_stain
Better hardware?

I could build a better quality spec'd PC for less than the cost of a Mac. Even with legal windows and a massive monitor.

Which is what I'm doing within the next month or so. Expect an influx of PMs regarding Ubuntu from me soon
I've heard Ubuntu does not liek wireless so much? Not a problem at Uni, but my home network during holidays is sans cables.
Quote by freedoms_stain
Better hardware?

LOL, and then you get a virus and it was all for nothing...Mac4Life!
Quote by LordBishek
I've heard Ubuntu does not liek wireless so much? Not a problem at Uni, but my home network during holidays is sans cables.
A much smaller percentage of people have wireless issues now. You can test it with the Live CD anyway.
Quote by Stingray5
Know how many viruses I've had since I built this machine over a year ago?

Zero. Want to try again?
Quote by LordBishek

Depends on the hardware. Some work perfectly, some don't work at all. You can see if your hardware works from a Live CD. You don't need to install anything, and it won't make any changes to your computer.

+1 for linux. I use it day-in, day-out.

Don't commit to buying new hardware just for an OS. That's stupid. Consider your needs as a user. if your current computer does the job, fine. If it has a few problems, list em! I'm sure people can help out.

Quote by Stingray5

If you use an up-to-date version of Firefox, don't install software you don't trust, and run an anti-virus, you're perfectly safe. Most virus infections are caused by a problem between the screen and the chair. I use windows a lot too. I haven't had a virus that hasn't been swiftly and painlessly dealt with since I was using 98.
Last edited by Stormx at Jan 6, 2009,
Oh, while im at it, When i boot up my pc it gives me 20 seconds to choose between two types of windows XP .
But i only have one installed and when i boot up the other my pc crashes, any idea how to fix that, because it takes my pc ages to boot up because of that.
kthxbai.
Quote by OMGWTFBBQ?
Oh, while im at it, When i boot up my pc it gives me 20 seconds to choose between two types of windows XP .
But i only have one installed and when i boot up the other my pc crashes, any idea how to fix that, because it takes my pc ages to boot up because of that.
One isn't "safe mode" by any chance?
Quote by OMGWTFBBQ?

Do the following:

1) From your "Start" menu or "My Computer" navigate to "Control Panel"
2) Click "System"
3) Go to the "Advanced" tab
4) Under "Startup and Recovery" click "Settings"
5) Under "System Startup" click "Edit"
6) Notepad should open. Look under [operating systems]
7) Carefully remove the line which doesn't work
8) File > Save

You're done.
Quote by Stingray5

Allow me:

Thanks for the advice regarding the wireless, guys
If you like the feel of mac just get Rocket dock or stardock. then you can download mac icons and screensavers, move your task bar to the top of the screen. Or you can download and install flyakiteOSX and it'll do all that for you. Other than that your options are to buy a mac or google hanintosh, but that is not stable and a little silly.
Quote by dubstar92
A few years a ago, I played with it alot and got my time down to 42 secs. Right now, I'm probably around a 55 sec average.
I've moved from Ubuntu to Arch Linux... so much better
Schecter C1 Classic Left Handed
Line 6 POD HD500
Peavey Valveking 112
Quote by Axeman99

How so? Just curious.
Quote by Axeman99

Not a fan of Ubuntu, I dual boot with Fedora. I like it alot, i'm a fan of Gnome. If only they would get the sound crap right so it would see my EMU 0404 PCI, then I could record in Linux and have a little more stability.
Quote by dubstar92
A few years a ago, I played with it alot and got my time down to 42 secs. Right now, I'm probably around a 55 sec average.
As someone who has installed OSX on a PC, I can say that it isn't worth it. The only distributions you can install are modded versions that are severely disabled in functionality, so you can't really do anything on it. Also, because it's illegal, it has very limited hardware support and chances are that something or many parts of your computer will not be working with OSX.

If you really want OSX, just buy a MacBook or MacBook Pro.

...modes and scales are still useless.

Quote by PhoenixGRM
Hey guys could you spare a minute to Vote for my band. Go to the site Search our band Listana with CTRL+F for quick and vote Thank you .
Quote by sam b
Voted for Patron Çıldırdı.

Thanks
Quote by PhoenixGRM
But our Band is Listana
Quote by Stormx
How so? Just curious.

Its a bit more of an advanced distro, the installer is command line based and the default install has no X server or graphical environment. Installation was easy though because there is an excellent beginners guide that takes you all the way up to installing a desktop environment.

In the process I learnt quite a bit about how linux works, where the main configuration files are etc. Its very very fast compared to ubuntu because there is less unnecessary software loaded, you install what YOU want.

Package management is pacman, which is better than apt imo.

So basically its lightweight, fast and very customisable and a great step up from ubuntu to a "proper" distro. (No elitism meant, its just a more unix and BSD like system)
Line 6 POD HD500
Peavey Valveking 112
Quote by Axeman99
Its a bit more of an advanced distro, the installer is command line based and the default install has no X server or graphical environment. Installation was easy though because there is an excellent beginners guide that takes you all the way up to installing a desktop environment.

In the process I learnt quite a bit about how linux works, where the main configuration files are etc. Its very very fast compared to ubuntu because there is less unnecessary software loaded, you install what YOU want.

Package management is pacman, which is better than apt imo.

So basically its lightweight, fast and very customisable and a great step up from ubuntu to a "proper" distro. (No elitism meant, its just a more unix and BSD like system)
Sounds interesting, I might try it on a virtual machine to test it out.

Do they have a 64-bit version?
Quote by freedoms_stain
Sounds interesting, I might try it on a virtual machine to test it out.

Do they have a 64-bit version?

Yeah they do. I did my first installation on virtualbox then installed alongside XP. The wiki and forums are very helpful.
Line 6 POD HD500
Peavey Valveking 112
Quote by Axeman99
Yeah they do. I did my first installation on virtualbox then installed alongside XP. The wiki and forums are very helpful.

Why choose over Ubuntu, sorry? Specifically, what is this distro built for?
Quote by LordBishek
Why choose over Ubuntu, sorry? Specifically, what is this distro built for?

Desktops, its for people who want something that has only the software they need. You can install pretty much any desktop environment or window manager. Also good to learn more about linux. Did I mention its fast?

Edit: Also the packages in the repositories are always cutting edge so you're getting the latest version of everything. Admittedly there will be occasional bugs but theres a very helpful community if you do find some.
Line 6 POD HD500
Peavey Valveking 112
Last edited by Axeman99 at Jan 6, 2009,
Yeah. I'm opening it up in VirtualBox right now, actually.

I'm no stranger to linux. I'm a programmer and such, I'm pretty good with knowing how linux works, and I'm comfortable with command line. Ubuntu being a little less than lightweight doesn't bother me, as I've got a speedy computer. Giving arch a go regardless!
Quote by Axeman99
Desktops, its for people who want something that has only the software they need. You can install pretty much any desktop environment or window manager. Also good to learn more about linux. Did I mention its fast?

Edit: Also the packages in the repositories are always cutting edge so you're getting the latest version of everything. Admittedly there will be occasional bugs but theres a very helpful community if you do find some.

Awesome, sounds good. I like my desk to look really minimalist and smart, and Ubuntu always seemed to look a little too much like a colourless version of XP to me
Do a search for x86 project. It will show you how. It's easy.

You need a OSX install disc
Quote by LordBishek
Awesome, sounds good. I like my desk to look really minimalist and smart, and Ubuntu always seemed to look a little too much like a colourless version of XP to me

You'll love Arch if you like minimal. If you don't install KDE or gnome etc just install a window manager such as openbox you can get a very nice looking minimalist system. If you're feeling hardcore you could try a tiling window manager such as Awesome.
Line 6 POD HD500
Peavey Valveking 112
Quote by LordBishek
Ubuntu can be any colour you want, Gnome is enormously customisable.
Quote by Xiaoxi
As someone who has installed OSX on a PC, I can say that it isn't worth it. The only distributions you can install are modded versions that are severely disabled in functionality, so you can't really do anything on it. Also, because it's illegal, it has very limited hardware support and chances are that something or many parts of your computer will not be working with OSX.

If you really want OSX, just buy a MacBook or MacBook Pro.

Well then a question for you, i want to keep using windows as well, so will i be able to use both or will it just fu ck up my pc? (i only have one hard drive so if it crashes i loose everything)

EDIT:
And to the ubuntu or whats it called users, is that good choice?
kthxbai.
Page 1 of 2