Can someone explain it to me in a simple way ?

Wiki makes it sound so damn hard.

Explain the theory and technique of it.

I can't seem to get it

Thanks in advance
Quote by imdeth

I'm funny

BLUES
Shepard tone ?

Ever listen to Echoes by Pink Floyd ?

It's an awesome technique kinda like an illusion of a tone that continually ascends or descends in pitch, yet seems to get no higher or lower.

But I can't seem to know how to do it 'cause it's explained in a bit confusing way on Wiki and I was hoping that someone could explain it to me in a more simple and direct way.
Quote by imdeth

I'm funny

BLUES
Its a pitch that constantly seems to raise or lower despite actually not ever getting to the point where you can't hear it.

It does so by adding harmonics in from underneath or from a above. It's a bit like a spiral. Its a psycho acoustical phenomenon and so it's basically you're brain trying to make sense of something that doesn't occur naturally.

It's not something you can make on a guitar. You could theoretically process a guitar sound into a Sheppard tone, but it wouldn't really work, they work best with small collections of sine tones.
Last edited by rizo299 at Jan 6, 2009,
Quote by rizo299
Its a pitch that constantly seems to raise or lower despite actually not ever getting to the point where you can't hear it.

It does so by adding harmonics in from underneath or from a above. It's a bit like a spiral. Its a psycho acoustical phenomenon and so it's basically you're brain trying to make sense of something that doesn't occur naturally.

It's not something you can make on a guitar. You could theoretically process a guitar sound into a Sheppard tone, but it wouldn't really work, they work best with small collections of sine tones.

How did David Gilmour do it in Echoes ?
Quote by imdeth

I'm funny

BLUES
It's on UG! Tab search 'the shepard effect' (you need PTE)

the effect is created by modulating the volume of several ascending parts. watch the TAB and see
Is the drone at the end of Friends/Beginning of Celebration Day on Led Zeppelin III an example of Shepard Tone?
To be brave is to take action in spite of fear. It is impossible to be brave without first being afraid. To take action without fear is not brave, it is foolish.
Any explanation why? It sounds similar to the video I watched.
To be brave is to take action in spite of fear. It is impossible to be brave without first being afraid. To take action without fear is not brave, it is foolish.
I think in Friends the drone is actually descending (the Shepard tone is by definition an aural illusion)
Quote by Roast Beef
It's on UG! Tab search 'the shepard effect' (you need PTE)

the effect is created by modulating the volume of several ascending parts. watch the TAB and see

wow, mindfuck... like seriously. I listened to and watched that forever trying to make my brain recognize the different parts, but I couldn't!
Quote by IclaptonisgodI
what part of echoes is this from? (time?)

No, the song Echoes.

At the end I think.

Thanks for helping me guys.
Quote by imdeth

I'm funny

BLUES
I meant what time in the song, not the song "Time."
Last edited by IclaptonisgodI at Jan 7, 2009,