My friend found an old 2x12 bass cab in his attic the other day, and we want to replace the speakers with a couple of G12T-75s an turn it into a guitar cab.

Are the electronics in a bass cab the same as the electronics in a guitar cab, other than the speakers? / will this work?
Mesa Single Rectifier
Marshall 1960A vintage
Rg3exfm1 w/ EMG 85/81
Big Baby Taylor Acoustic
Ibanez TS808
Bass speakers will handle guitar fine. Bass speakers have far better response than guitar speakers.

However, I do believe that both are wired in the same way.
Warwick freak of the Bass Militia. PM Nutter_101 to join

Quote by elliott FTW
Damn you and Warwickyness

Quote by ScottB
Quote by CLIFF_BURTON
gm jack knows everything
+1
swap half of the speakers with guitar ones and you could probably get some cool tones
My setup involves using a bass amp as a guitar power amp/cab basically, and it sounds ****ing awesome, today I was getting a really heavy sound out of it, very death metal... Sounded almost drop tuned even though I'm in standard =)
My Gear
Guitars
Cort VX-2V
Basses
Stagg BC300
Amps
Marshall JCM900 4100 DR
Marshall 1965A
Hartke HA3500 Combo
Are the bass speakers not a fair amount smaller than the guitar speakers you want to replace them with?

Speaker wiring is pretty simple, and is the same for bass and guitar - depending on the ohm rating you're after. So the only difference is that they may be wired in series, parallel, or series-parallel - but the fact that it's a bass cab instead of a guitar cab doesn't make a difference to this.
Last edited by Mathamology at Jan 6, 2009,
Bass cabs are just designed to carry more load as a lower note sine wave has to be amplified much more than a guitar wave.

I also believe they use a different type of material on the cones.
Pain is an illusion.
Schecter Hellraiser C-1 w/ Seymour Duncan JB/Jazz Combo
Pitchblack | Bad Horsie 2 | DS-1 | BF-2 | ISP Decimator | DD6
YouTube Channel
They cab has 10" bass speakers, and we don't want excessive low end in our tone. We are going for a screamo underoathy kinda tone. We don't want to sound like we are in any sort of drop tuning lower than D either.

We are planning on cutting the holes another 1" around the speakers and dropping in the G12T-75s.

I just wanted to know if the other electronics in the cab will still sound good and not make it overly bassy sounding.

But from what I'm getting from you guys is: As long as the speakers are changed, it won't have any extra low end a normal bass amp would.
Mesa Single Rectifier
Marshall 1960A vintage
Rg3exfm1 w/ EMG 85/81
Big Baby Taylor Acoustic
Ibanez TS808
Quote by touji-za-nai
They cab has 10" bass speakers, and we don't want excessive low end in our tone. We are going for a screamo underoathy kinda tone. We don't want to sound like we are in any sort of drop tuning lower than D either.

We are planning on cutting the holes another 1" around the speakers and dropping in the G12T-75s.

I just wanted to know if the other electronics in the cab will still sound good and not make it overly bassy sounding.

But from what I'm getting from you guys is: As long as the speakers are changed, it won't have any extra low end a normal bass amp would.
You'll be fine. It would only sound too bassy if you left the bass speakers in. The ohms will change though with two 75's in it. Be sure to check that as well.
MARSHALL JVM 210H
PEAVEY JSX
KRANK 412
MESA 412
FENDER STRATS
DIMARZIO
CELESTION
what do you mean the ohms will change? We planned on running the cab with a JCM2000 on 8ohms
Mesa Single Rectifier
Marshall 1960A vintage
Rg3exfm1 w/ EMG 85/81
Big Baby Taylor Acoustic
Ibanez TS808
Quote by touji-za-nai
what do you mean the ohms will change? We planned on running the cab with a JCM2000 on 8ohms
Well, bass cabs are typically rated at 4 ohms. A speaker change will most likely change the impedance if the cab. Check what the ohms of the bass speakers are and see if they are same as the 75's (75's are 16 ohms each I believe)
MARSHALL JVM 210H
PEAVEY JSX
KRANK 412
MESA 412
FENDER STRATS
DIMARZIO
CELESTION
yeah, so running them parallel would make an 8 ohm connection.

aren't there other electronics in 2x12 cabinets other than the speakers? Will those mess up the speakers and how they would normally work?
Mesa Single Rectifier
Marshall 1960A vintage
Rg3exfm1 w/ EMG 85/81
Big Baby Taylor Acoustic
Ibanez TS808
I put a Marshall head over an Ampeg bass cab, and it gets phenomenal sound. Though, if you plus a bass into a guitar amp, then sound won't be as great as it can be because guitar amps are focused on more treble sounds.
Just make sure you wire everything correctly and it's fine. The cab is just a box of wood, the "electronics" are just wires, no difference between guitar or bass cab.