This question has probably been ask a thousand times.My son has a Standard Fender Strat,and every time he uses the tremolo the guitar goes out of tune.Anyway to fix this?Thanks guys.
I have a fender starcaster and i have the same problem,i tune low so i actually took a spring out to balance the bridge,but it still goes out of tune so just tell him to use the trem only when he needs to or for fun but otherwise leave the bar out, this is the reason i'm getting a guitar with a floyd. You might also want to try instructables.com fo some answers
There's two main reasons.

A) The springs are junk.
B) The tuners are junk.

Lol either way its not the worst thing in the world. I believe you can outfit a strat with grover tuners or some sort of locking schaller tuners.

As for the springs you can simply add more.
Pain is an illusion.
Schecter Hellraiser C-1 w/ Seymour Duncan JB/Jazz Combo
Pitchblack | Bad Horsie 2 | DS-1 | BF-2 | ISP Decimator | DD6
YouTube Channel
i added springs to mine, and as long as i dont go nuts with the tremelo, its stays in tune great.
i also have a graphtech nut, i reccomend that.
Quote by BryanChampine
It was like a orgasm in my ear.
Chea_man is the best.
I've got a MIM Strat and don't have tuning problems but I'm not whammy barring 60 minutes a day either. Lubercating the nut, keeping strings clean, changing strings, helps keep my guitar in tune imo. I have 3 tuners too to check with. A new nut or tuners as mentioned can help for sure.

The string skips across that plastic groove on the nut and causes it to 'bounce' out of tune. I scratch a pencil thru those grooves everytime I change strings to get some graphite in there.

Otherwise, you're right. It is not a Floyd Rose.

There are some good set up guides on fender.com
Last edited by 311ZOSOVHJH at Jan 6, 2009,
mine works great! never had it go outta tune using the whammy, in fact I'll go test it now and see if it changes tuning at all! follow up in 10 minutes of solid whammying

EDIT: alright, after testing it pretty heavily ( HUGE whammy's and lots) only my 4th and 5th string dropped tune a bit, all other were still perfect. those two strings only dropped about -20 cents too
05' G&L S-500
95' Godin LGX

96' Yamaha APX 6-A

Peavey Classic 30
Maxon OD808
Last edited by danyellenik at Jan 6, 2009,
my strat is fine, then again i have 5 trem springs, the trem is tight agains the body and i never use it

you may well benefit from new bridge saddles or a nut.

drawing in the grooves of the nut with a really sharp, soft pencil can really help
Get off this damn forum and play your damn guitar.
Locking tuners are a good way to fix that, along with rubbing a pencil on the nut, or a new Graphite nut all together.
Rig
Fender 09 Standard Strat>Wilson Ten Spot II Wah>Boss DS-2 Turbo Distortion>EHX Big Muff Pi>Boss CE-2 Chorus>Crate V32 Palomino 212
Fender Deluxe Active Jazz Bass>(Same Pedals)>AcousticB20

Quote by WtrPlyr
I'm with DeltaFunk
Quote by DeltaFunk
Locking tuners are a good way to fix that, along with rubbing a pencil on the nut, or a new Graphite nut all together.

Locking tuners don't do the same thing as a double locking bridge. They just clamp the string so you don't have to wrap it round the tuner to get the string to hold.
Get off this damn forum and play your damn guitar.
Quote by danyellenik
mine works great! never had it go outta tune using the whammy, in fact I'll go test it now and see if it changes tuning at all! follow up in 10 minutes of solid whammying

EDIT: alright, after testing it pretty heavily ( HUGE whammy's and lots) only my 4th and 5th string dropped tune a bit, all other were still perfect. those two strings only dropped about -20 cents too

yep...

to be honest, I'm actually shocked at how well my Strat stays in tune despite all of the abuse.
lol this guy just got like 6000 dollars worth of repair advice xD
Pain is an illusion.
Schecter Hellraiser C-1 w/ Seymour Duncan JB/Jazz Combo
Pitchblack | Bad Horsie 2 | DS-1 | BF-2 | ISP Decimator | DD6
YouTube Channel