I want to learn another instrument so I am more versatile in band situations. What instruments should I learn. Won't get lessons because I can just about afford guitar lessons.

Cheers
harmonicas are fantastic - check out the harmonica beatboxing on youtube!
but i recommend piano
For a band I would suggest either keyboard or drums because these are two of the most common instruments in a band and learning them will allow you to write for them a lot better.

I am a guitarist and a bassist and I would have suggested learninng bass but bass is more similar to guitar so you would learn less that you could use in a band situation. However, bass is a great instrument so if you just want to learn a cool instrument then I suggest bass.
What type of music do you play?

I'm considering taking up cello or violin myself. I like the idea of incorporating a classical instrument into metal.

I've played guitar for about 3 years, piano 7 years on and off and I'm slowly learning drums on the side.
Practice. Play. Sleep. Repeat.

Quote by pearlJam_31490
i take it next your going to tell me that Cb is a note too!
Learn to sing. I guarantee you that'd be more useful than most other instruments.
Quote by kranoscorp
I find that I feel the same about women who play bass as I think of immigrants in America.

I respect them for finding a place in society under a lot of ridicule, but I have an odd paranoia that they are going to steal my job.
Id say learn bass, drums, or something more similar to guitar, like ukalele or mandolin. Drums are alot of fun, but they are sorta expensive and seem to require alot of maintenance. Bass is probably the easiest to get the hang of, since you already play guitar. Uke and mandolin are fun, very portable instruments and are pretty cool to play guitar songs on.
Quote by MeltedMetal
What type of music do you play?

I'm considering taking up cello or violin myself. I like the idea of incorporating a classical instrument into metal.

I've played guitar for about 3 years, piano 7 years on and off and I'm slowly learning drums on the side.

You should take up Violin, I've been playing for 6 years and it's a great intrument (just make sure you get a good teacher, it's not the sort of instrument you can teach yourself).
Quote by ZeBubba!
Learn to sing. I guarantee you that'd be more useful than most other instruments.

I want to learn how to play the drums but I agree with this.
Quote by 12345abcd3
You should take up Violin, I've been playing for 6 years and it's a great intrument (just make sure you get a good teacher, it's not the sort of instrument you can teach yourself).

Thanks for the tip!

Needing tuition is a major discouragement to be honest - affording the instrument is a challenge, let alone paying for lessons for however long I might need. I think I'll leave it for the day when I have enough money to be philanthropic...
Practice. Play. Sleep. Repeat.

Quote by pearlJam_31490
i take it next your going to tell me that Cb is a note too!
Singing is good. I saw a poster who was interested in mixing classical intstruments w/ a metal band. I'm working on a song just like that. Also, VIolin is good for theory (not as good as piano, but not nearly as common).
Piano is definitly a good choice, as is singing. In the end the more instruments you have knowledge of the better. I wouldn't mind learning how to play flute or violin. Or Cello.
I'd say piano. Take a look on YouTube for Muse songs - "New Born" and "Butterflies and Hurricanes", along with many others, incorporate grand piano playing with rock guitar, and Matt Bellamy makes it work very, very well.
Quote by ZeBubba!
Learn to sing.

That, and:

Banjo, saxophone, harmonica would probably be useful. Especially banjo... So nice to sometimes make songs with it Also... Drums would do only good, some things of bass or everything of bass
and of course piano.

Quote by ZeBubba!

I cannot sing, I suck at singing.