I have been playing guitar since the beginning of July. From what I've read apparently I should be playing stuff like the stairway to heaven solo with ease. While I look at that solo I think the frets aren't hard at all to get my fingers to. This looks easy.

Then I start playing it. I can get the notes...just not nearly at the speed. I'm looking for tips to improve on this. I'm guessing just repetition....just keep practicing and practicing and I will improve. But maybe if someone has any exercise I should practice to improve speed it will help alot.

Thanks for the tips.
Last edited by mwhan2209 at Jan 6, 2009,
Yeah man I feel ya. I've been playing since September of 07 and I still can't do it. I guess all you can do is just practice it.
Metronome is one of the best ways in this. Start with slow bpm and increase it till you get it to the original one. You can try buying guitar pro program too, or then just download it from somewhere it is REALLY useful.
Warming up helps a ton, practice diffrent finger exercies might improve your fingers effectivness and speed. Just keep at it.
Quote by Punkismygod
Metronome is one of the best ways in this. Start with slow bpm and increase it till you get it to the original one. You can try buying guitar pro program too, or then just download it from somewhere it is REALLY useful.

guitar pro hurts my brain....alot

you could always start with really easy solos (im not very good at solos) but i learnt misery business solo and couldnt play it at first(playing 2 months when i tried) but when i learnt it...i ended up playing it too fast.....well that was useless info
They made me do push ups in drag

I'm gonna have a really hard time if we're both cannibals and racists.

Don't dress as a whore, he'll thump you.

I'm a firework, primed to go off
Try doing the 21 Day Challenge. Theres a stickied thread about in the basics thread. It helps out alot with muscle memory, and actually shouldnt take you all 21 days to get decent at something like Stairway.
you shouldnt neceserillay be able to play it, it depends how much you practise. But anyway start out with a metronome slow and make sure your hitting all the notes clean. and slowly build up the speed, it will take time but it will happen dont you worry
Quote by boreamor
Ah very good point. Charlie__flynn, you've out smarted me

People
should
smile
more

crit4crit on 'acoustic 1 (with piano)' here

Rate my playing skills please.
Play one beat (usually an even group of four, three, or six, depending on what note grouping it is) at a time, get that beat up to speed, or at least at a comfortable speed, and then do the next one. then, do the last half of the first beat and the first half of the second beat together, then both beats together. Rinse and repeat.
Then there's this band called Slice The Cake...

Bunch of faggots putting random riffs together and calling it "progressive" deathcore.
Stupid name.
Probably picked "for teh lulz"

Mod in UG's Official Gain Whores
keep building up the tempo on a metronome, and you'll get there.

Plus, don't worry man, the Stairway to Heaven solo isn't so stupidly easy. Take your time and don't think too much about how long you've been playing and where you should be.
"...I cried. Just for a second. Then I thought, 'I must rock.' "
- James Iha

Rock on y'all!

Quote by padgea7x
guitar pro hurts my brain....alot

Why exactly? I find it useful for training hard solos. You can start playing with a tempo that suits you the best and then increase it to the original tempo.
Go find a buddy of yours who also plays guitar, get two acoustics that strap on your back, and go on a huge quest to find a mythical pick of destiny :P
I thought that was a pretty hard solo, haven't looked it up though
A hero of war, Yeah that's what I'll be

(.)(.)..........(.)(.)..........(.)(.)..........(.)(.)..........(.)(.)..........(.)(.)..........(.)(.)
Break it down and play it slowly til you get it down. Break it down into phrases, then break them down into even smaller chunks, then start linking them together again once you can play them comfortably. Isolate any bits you get stuck on and practice them on their own before you stick them back into place. And listen to the track
guitar pro is pretty good. works for me
Quote by metacarpi
I get called a slut all the time, and I'm a dude.

learn maybe a bar or two a time, until you learned it (at maybe 100bpm or w/e you play at) then learn another 1/or 2 bars,rinse and repeat,with no rinse
Just call me Julius, J, etc.
Taking an Internet break for a while, will come on when I can.
Quote by Punkismygod
Why exactly? I find it useful for training hard solos. You can start playing with a tempo that suits you the best and then increase it to the original tempo.

WELL
it wont let me change notes to sixteenths without it going dodgy...but i guess it'll take time to get used to it........right?

I had trouble to copy solo's too,but I learned scales and everything was a lot easier.
I start to play in a certain pattern (like the pentatonice pattern, you know) and when you know the scale it's really easy.I worked for me though.
Ibanez RGA 8 (Dimarzio D Activator 8)->Rocktron Hush->Engl E530 preamp->Marshall 9200 poweramp->Marshall 4x12 closed back cab w/ G12t75's
Quote by padgea7x
WELL
it wont let me change notes to sixteenths without it going dodgy...but i guess it'll take time to get used to it........right?

Yeah.. It is pretty tricky device, it's like mathematic when you do it yourself. But you can just find a guitar pro tab in UG download it and open in guitar pro and all the dirty work has been done already by some other guy/girl.
Quote by Punkismygod
Yeah.. It is pretty tricky device, it's like mathematic when you do it yourself. But you can just find a guitar pro tab in UG download it and open in guitar pro and all the dirty work has been done already by some other guy/girl.

yeah i was gonna learn revolution begins but i couldnt find the leadlines
its good that it has he drum kit choice
power tabs good aswell but like less advanced and no drum kit...at least i dont think it has one

start slow, get all the notes in and clear and in the right rhythm, then once you have it down perfect slowly then start to speed it up, if you need to break it up into parts and learn one part at a time.
You and I are mortal, but rock n roll will never die.
What people say they can play on the internet and what it actually sounds like are completely different things.

Don't stress and just keep playing and enjoying it
Ibanez PGM301
Ibanez GRG170DX
Fender Telecaster MiJ - 1986
Swing T-Through

Ibanez TS9DX
Sovtek Small Stone - c.1985
EHX Big Muff
Kimbara Wah - c.1974
Boss GE-7

Orange Rocker 30 Combo

http://www.myspace.com/paythelay
Quote by Kurapica
Don't stress and just keep playing and enjoying it

+1 I can not stress this enough. This person knows what he's talking about.
Last edited by DIMEBAGLIVEDON at Jan 6, 2009,
Quote by padgea7x
yeah i was gonna learn revolution begins but i couldnt find the leadlines
its good that it has he drum kit choice
power tabs good aswell but like less advanced and no drum kit...at least i dont think it has one

I haven't every tried power tab really I have some kind of a expansion in my guitar pro so the power tabs also work in it. But power tabs software is better if your computer has small ammount of memory if you have much then use guitar pro.

Well then if you're gonna learn revolution begins start using those 2 ears of yours
Quote by Punkismygod
I haven't every tried power tab really I have some kind of a expansion in my guitar pro so the power tabs also work in it. But power tabs software is better if your computer has small ammount of memory if you have much then use guitar pro.

Well then if you're gonna learn revolution begins start using those 2 ears of yours

i can hear the lead line i cant find it in the tab i've used my eyes :P