Hello everybody.

I'm not really having problems with it, but I'm just looking for the right tone.
I want to play a lot of Bon Jovi stuff with it and Sambora's talkbox sound is not that easy to cover.

Can anyone help?
Do you own a talkbox then?

Epiphone Les Paul Standard w/ SD Alnico Pro II's
Fender Aerodyne Telecaster & Stratocaster
Marshall JCM 800 4104 combo

E-Married to Funny_Page
Quote by Chrisiphone
Do you own a talkbox then?

Yes I own a Dunlop Heil Talkbox.
The only time I've ever used one I wasn't the one who set it up but I do know that the sound is very dependent on the microphone amp/PA that you are using...as well as your guitar/amp setup. Never really hear much about talk boxes so I'm kind of interested myself
Quote by Chapz
Marshall MG50 DFX

Theres your problem tone wise.

I've heard you need to use the Heil Talkbox with a microphone/p.a. system, is this true?

Epiphone Les Paul Standard w/ SD Alnico Pro II's
Fender Aerodyne Telecaster & Stratocaster
Marshall JCM 800 4104 combo

E-Married to Funny_Page
Quote by Chrisiphone
Theres your problem tone wise.

I've heard you need to use the Heil Talkbox with a microphone/p.a. system, is this true?

Yeah you have to have a microphone and PA to use one properly.
I use another amp (Bogey DL-20) and a small little Behringer equalizer for my microphone sound.
I have an in-line talkbox, so you don't need another amp for it. Sorry
Audio Ecstasy Productions!

Guitar/Backline Tech in the Los Angeles area and on tour!
Custom guitar pedals and cabling for stage and studio!

I set up DAWs and tweak computers to record audio. Hit me up @ audioecstasyproductions[at}gmail.com
Quote by fastlanestoner
I have an in-line talkbox, so you don't need another amp for it. Sorry

You need a separate mic amp for heil talk boxes...which is what the TS has. I would guess that the reason that you can't replicate Sambora's sound is the equipment you're using. I'm not bashing your gear, but if I had to guess...
You don't technically need another mic and amp to get a Dunlop talkbox to work, it will just be very quiet. It comes out of your mouth at around the same volume as your normal speaking voice (occasionally a touch louder) so if you're not mic'd up then it'll be plain drowned out.

All that said, your problem is most certainly your MG amp. Talkboxes really aren't designed for use with solid state amps, you need a tube amp to get a good tone. Especially with the Dunlop Heil Talkbox, it literally just takes the signal as it comes from your amp and redirects it to your mouth rather than going to the speaker - so it does nothing to really 'colour' the tone itself, if your amp sounds bad then the talkbox will sound bad, if the amp sounds good then the talkbox will sound good.

Not much anyone can help you with really, you just need a better amp.

Also bear in mind that how far into your mouth the tube is will also effect the tone slightly (further in = bassier but also clearer and more defined, not so far in = trebly and not very well defined), and a lot of good talkbox use comes down to technique.
Yes, I know everything. No, I can't play worth a damn.
A child is trafficked and sold for sex slavery every 30 seconds. Support Love146.
Hey i have £120 max to spend on a talk box.
I'm not sure what to get, or the quality of each brands own version.
I play bass and guitar, do paying gigs etc. Will talkboxes work for a bass? Will it be too low a frequency?
MikeyTNC
Plus i have a line6 lowdown 150 watt.
So ill need a microphone and another, smaller amp?
MikeyTNC
it will work, but i would reccomend getting an in-line talkbox (i use the danelectro one, but got rid of its mic, bought my own, and ran that into a mixer instead of back into the pedal. i also used a channel splitter, so i had my original sound going into the amp, with the talkbox coming out the PA). if it were me, for bass, i'd get a EQ pedal of somekind on the mic, just so you can make sure its sounding good.