Any recommendations for improvement of my "phrasing"?

My soloing sounds boring and overused. No matter how hard I try, it never sounds "worthy".

Someone told me the best way to improve was to play other people's soloing. Although that has helped, I still want "more".

Do you know what I mean?
The technique and ability to play is there, but it's not being used to maximum potential.
Sunn O))):
Quote by Doppelgänger
You could always just sleep beside your refrigerator.

Guitar:
- Ibanez S670FM w/ JB
- Fender 'Lite Ash' Stratocaster
- Fender '72 Deluxe Telecaster
- Arbiter LP Jr. Doublecut
Amp:
- Laney VC15

'72 Tele Appreciation Group
RIP DIO
Last edited by Simsimius at Jan 6, 2009,
Well, listen to your favourite guitar solos. What makes them good? Is it x n.p.s.? No, not really. Is it the catchy melodies and the way they're played? Definitely.

So now grab your guitar and solo over a basic chord progression. But listen extremely carefully to what you play - what would make it sound better? Will it sound better if you stay on this not a bit longer? Will it be better if you bend this note?

Eventually, it will come to you naturally.
Quote by michal23
Well, listen to your favourite guitar solos. What makes them good? Is it x n.p.s.? No, not really. Is it the catchy melodies and the way they're played? Definitely.

So now grab your guitar and solo over a basic chord progression. But listen extremely carefully to what you play - what would make it sound better? Will it sound better if you stay on this not a bit longer? Will it be better if you bend this note?

Eventually, it will come to you naturally.

I hope so.
Thanks.
Sunn O))):
Quote by Doppelgänger

Guitar:
- Ibanez S670FM w/ JB
Amp:
- Laney VC15

RIP DIO
Oh, and by the way. If you don't know any theory, or very basic theory, I suggest you learn some. It will help you immensely.
Quote by michal23
Oh, and by the way. If you don't know any theory, or very basic theory, I suggest you learn some. It will help you immensely.

I do know theory.

It's just that my soloing is nothing interesting.
Sunn O))):
Quote by Doppelgänger

Guitar:
- Ibanez S670FM w/ JB
Amp:
- Laney VC15

RIP DIO
Quote by Simsimius
I do know theory.

It's just that my soloing is nothing interesting.

Well then, like I said, the most important thing is to actually listen to what you play and consciously think what would make it more interesting. It also helps if you structure your solos; when improvising, come up with a main theme (a nice riff or melody) and then solo around variations of that theme.
Quote by michal23
Well then, like I said, the most important thing is to actually listen to what you play and consciously think what would make it more interesting. It also helps if you structure your solos; when improvising, come up with a main theme (a nice riff or melody) and then solo around variations of that theme.

Just to let you know, just played with a nice funk [well, a funky] backing track.
I was, funnily enough, doing just what you said [but I hadn't yet read your post]
I think it was D minor, not sure, but my soloing was probably the best it has eve.r been.
I reckon I should play funk instead

Thanks for the advice!
I reckon I need more lick in my vocab though... that may also be a factor.
Sunn O))):
Quote by Doppelgänger

Guitar:
- Ibanez S670FM w/ JB
Amp:
- Laney VC15

RIP DIO
Last edited by Simsimius at Jan 6, 2009,
Quote by Simsimius
Any recommendations for improvement of my "phrasing"?

My soloing sounds boring and overused. No matter how hard I try, it never sounds "worthy".

Someone told me the best way to improve was to play other people's soloing. Although that has helped, I still want "more".

Do you know what I mean?
The technique and ability to play is there, but it's not being used to maximum potential.

focus less on technique and ability and more on music.

for phrasing learn what a phrase is. Learn to play phrases.
shred is gaudy music
Quote by Freepower
Try not posting in "Advanced Techniques".

Phrasing article in my sig, a few more have been written as well.

I thought this would be an appropriate forum, but whatever

The article in your sig should help, thanks!
Sunn O))):
Quote by Doppelgänger

Guitar:
- Ibanez S670FM w/ JB
Amp:
- Laney VC15

RIP DIO
When I hear someone say people nag them about their phrasing, the number one thing in my opinion that is a quick fix is not enough bends. Bends really add a lot of interest to solos. Try throwing more in.

However, without hearing or seeing examples of your soloing, it is hard for me to really give you any valuable feedback.
Quote by Monsterhog
When I hear someone say people nag them about their phrasing, the number one thing in my opinion that is a quick fix is not enough bends. Bends really add a lot of interest to solos. Try throwing more in.

However, without hearing or seeing examples of your soloing, it is hard for me to really give you any valuable feedback.

I bend a lot. Maybe too much.
I have technique, some theory [knows absolute basics on modes, etc.]., but everything I play sounds either like a cliche, or Kirk Hammett (yes, I'm joking )

Quote by sock_demon
Steve Vai's 10 hour workout has some tips on phrasing.

Will consider
Sunn O))):
Quote by Doppelgänger

Guitar:
- Ibanez S670FM w/ JB
Amp:
- Laney VC15

RIP DIO
Last edited by Simsimius at Jan 7, 2009,
heres something I used to do when I felt my soloing was getting stale:

You probably have a vast vocabulary of riffs by now, and my understanding by your post was that you think you overuse the riffs you know, if not, correct me. Anywho, you're probably having a hard time translating whats in your head to the fretboard like I was fluently. So just start humming something cool that sounds like a good melodic solo, no fast riffs. Then immediately try to figure out the melody you just hummed. When you figure out some good slow melodies, practice them until that sort of playing finds its way into your soloing more often.