Whats Up UG! So I mostly play in the usual tunings like,
E standard (E Flat)
Drop D
Low B
B standard
But lately I've really wanted to learn a few others. I've heard about a few different ones, but really aside from Drop or Standard I haven't heard of too many different tunings. So my question is does anyone know of any others? Possibly low tunings or just uncommon ones that the mass of guitar players do not frequently use.
i like drop c cause its not too high and not too low

my band plays in (low to high) A# F A# D# G C
drop D half step, i like it for metal stuff,then blues go to standard half step
Just call me Julius, J, etc.
Taking an Internet break for a while, will come on when I can.
Google around for open tunings
████████
████████
████████
DADGAC is a pretty interestin tuning, and really nice for a acoustic guitar. Its derived from the banjo-tuning ADGAC. It forms a Dsus4 with an added seventh.
all your open tunings, open A is used by the white stripes, open G is great for blues/country stuff. and also theres DADGAD which is a very mysterious tuning...
Epiphone SG G-400 faded
Fender Strat
Fender Frontman amp
**Dream Guitar**
Fender telecaster '58 heavy relic in blonde

"its in the key of D minor, i find songs in this key makes people want to weep."
"its called Lick My Love Pump"
Tune to a Japanese Koto's tuning. Or a Shamisen.

Really interesting.

As far as metal, I do half step down and drop Db/C#.
Do you feel warm within your cage?

And have you figured out yet -

Life goes by?
Quote by Hydra150
There's a dick on Earth, too
It's you
open tuning is where you tune the guitar so if you just strum all the strings open it will give you a chord, useful for slide.

and wikipedia koto tuning i think its a japanese stringed instrument
Stringed instruments from Japan.

google/wikipedia it, and mess around with the tuning.
Do you feel warm within your cage?

And have you figured out yet -

Life goes by?
Quote by Hydra150
There's a dick on Earth, too
It's you
Quote by 6_months_N
I don't Exactly know what "Open" Tuning means??

It should mean (someone correct me if I'm wrong) a tuning when played without fretting anything, it'll be a chord already and other chords can be achieved by barring.
edit. damn, beaten to it
████████
████████
████████
Whats up with tuning in B.Y.O.B?? there all different....
I like to use D Standard sometimes, full step down from standard. I read that zakk uses D Standard with Ozzy but idk about BLS.
Ibanez RG7321
Jackson Randy Rhoads V with Floyd Rose
Peavey Valveking 112
Digitech RP70 Guitar Processor
look up the article on alternate tunings on Wikipedia. Cool stuff. try tuning E A B E B E (tune your two middle strings down to B and E string respectively), or playing in Drop D and dropping your high E to D, and if you want your B to A (makes either DADGBD or DADGAD, double drop d and dsus4 tuning respecitively) and then try tuning down a half step or two from there for some cool tunings. Otherwise, look up on this side Sonic Youth tabs and look up the Guitar Tuning one someone made. SY use a ****load of weird tunings, so you may wanna try some of those. You could also try what Kurt Ballou uses on some Converge stuff: C G C F G# C, which is quite a dissonant, but rather cool tuning.
Quote by LaT3raluS
DADGAC is a pretty interestin tuning, and really nice for a acoustic guitar. Its derived from the banjo-tuning ADGAC. It forms a Dsus4 with an added seventh.

you are truly right sir, its a pretty mellow tuning and sounds beautiful
Quote by Ozwal
Whats up with tuning in B.Y.O.B?? there all different....

The tuning for BYOB is Drop Db.

anyways try B Standard or some lower drop tunings...they always seem more fun to play in for me
| Call me Matt. | | I like music. |
does anyone know how a Cello is tuned? I love how a cello sounds, and was curious about deriving a guitar tuning based on it.
i like to use DADGAD, standard, half step down and DGDGBC

EDIT: Cellos are tuned CDGA
Quote by .arkness:.
I did it in the church confession booth. i jizzed all over the mesh in an attempt to hit the priest.
Last edited by rhysm at Jan 6, 2009,
Quote by RG_FANMAN
does anyone know how a Cello is tuned? I love how a cello sounds, and was curious about deriving a guitar tuning based on it.

its tuned like a bass, but i think it has the strings viceversa :thick G D A E thin, but im not too sure on that
Open tunings are glorious.

Open G: DGDGBD
Open C: CGCGCE
Open E: EBEG#BE
Open A: EAEAC#E
Open Em: EBEGBE
Open Am: EAEACE
Open Cm: CGCGCEb
Open Gm: DGDGBbD
GHOST BLOWJOB!
WHOOO! WOOOOOOOOOOOO!
Standard and Drop D are the way to go. :P

I'll probably end up using Drop C though, because it's in the middle of all the tunings.
I NEED TO CHANGE MY USERNAME

• Agile AL-3XXX Custom Tobacco Sunburst w/ EMG 57/66
  • ESP LTD EC-1000T CTM Black w/ Seymour Duncan Blackouts
  • Jet City JCA100HDM w/ Avatar Contemporary 2x12 Cab
  • Seymour Duncan 805 Overdrive
  • Dunlop OG Crybaby Wah
  • MXR Smartgate
Sometimes I use this tuning
BF#BEAD
It's Low B but the top two strings are up a step
Is there a name for this tuning?
Zakk Wylde uses BADGBE on some songs.

That's why his signature string set has a .60 on the Low E

Fractal Axe-Fx Ultra
EBMM JP7 Dargies Delight II
Manuel Rodriguez C Cedar Top
i dont know what the actual tuning is but its standard then drop your A string down kind of like going to drop-D and then tune your E string dropped off of that

its pretty interesting
Quote by ChucklesMginty
About as low as you can go is Drop A, which is what Slipknot use, but you need a heavy set of strings (.11 or higher) to get any of the notes to ring out. Tuning to an open G chord is good for slide stuff.

Slipknot only use Drop A on a couple of tracks, and it is not as low as you can go. I regulary go down to the octave E on my 8, i keep it in either EAEADGBE or just F standard .