Budget = around $1,000 U.S *must be a tube amp*

I'm thinking of buying a 2x12 cab and head.
Use: For gigging and band practice about twice a week. Needs to be carried up and down stairs to practice.
Influences: Killswitch Engage and All that Remains

Any suggestions for a cab and head.

Will be mostly used for the genre metal/metalcore.
Last edited by ATRKSE92 at Jan 6, 2009,
mesa boogie dual rectifier and 2x12 cab?
Gear:
2000 Paul Reed Smith CE-24
ESP EC-1000 w/ Seymour Duncans
Ceriatone 18 Watt TMB Plexi 1x12
Peavey 5150 2x12 Combo
Peavey 6505
Quote by Td_Nights
*Points to Above Poster*

Best. Username. Ever.

Quote by _-Joey-_
I wish I was gay...

PSN- td_rules Steam- tdrules
Quote by tdrules
Peavey 6505

End.

If you can't do that, a XXX will do it fine too.
Do you feel warm within your cage?

And have you figured out yet -

Life goes by?
Quote by Hydra150
There's a dick on Earth, too
It's you
Its never END

At100 + avatar 2x12 contemporary w/ v30's
Pain is an illusion.
Schecter Hellraiser C-1 w/ Seymour Duncan JB/Jazz Combo
Pitchblack | Bad Horsie 2 | DS-1 | BF-2 | ISP Decimator | DD6
YouTube Channel
Quote by sesstreets
Its never END

At100 + avatar 2x12 contemporary w/ v30's

The 6505 will completely blow the AT100 out of the water if you're willing to sacrifice your cleans.
Quote by i_am_metalhead
The 6505 will completely blow the AT100 out of the water if you're willing to sacrifice your cleans.

And if he's not?

Its a personal choice, there is no END amp. Sure. The 6505 is a great amp, if you only want PURE metal. But if you don't well then its not the best amp.

This dude should really just try an at100 and a 6505 and whatever else he can get his hands on.

Hell even the spider valve 100 head is pretty nice.
Pain is an illusion.
YouTube Channel
And the cleans on the 6505 aren't even that bad. Nothing some good chorus and reverb won't take care of.

╠═══════╬═══════╣

Solder fume huffer σƒ τλε τρπ βπστλεπλσσδ

╠═══════╬═══════╣

Electronic Audio Experiments
Also:

Just because everyone and their mother use a 6505 in a metal band doesn't mean its the only option.
Pain is an illusion.
YouTube Channel
I will probably go to try out all these amps over the weekend, however, I would like to know some knowledge of what I'm buying before I get there. ATM, a 6505 seems good. What other options should I look into?
Quote by sesstreets
Also:

Just because everyone and their mother use a 6505 in a metal band doesn't mean its the only option.

You are correct... But dont you think something can be said about an amp that everyone and there mother uses in a metal band... Especially considering the bands he is influenced by uses those very amps...

If you have a $1000 budget and mainly play metal its at the top the list.. That said TS demo anything you can get your hands on even amps that are not known metal beasts.. You just might stumble onto something.

Quote by ATRKSE92
I will probably go to try out all these amps over the weekend, however, I would like to know some knowledge of what I'm buying before I get there. ATM, a 6505 seems good. What other options should I look into?

A Peavey Triple is also a nice metal amp along with most used Mesa's.
Last edited by IbanezPsycho at Jan 6, 2009,
peavey XXX
USED JSX
peavey 5150/6505
5150II / 6505+
USED ENGL Fireball
ENGL SCREAMER
USED MESA DUAL RECTIFIER (if you can find one in your price range)
PSN USERNAME: MetuulGuitarist7
STEAM:MetuulGuitarist7
Origin:MetuulGuitarist7
feel free to add me
5150/6505 as everyone's been saying. XXX's might be your thing, but most hardcore bands prefer the 6505's darker distortion. definetely try out everything good you see, though. you might also be able to find a dual rectifier if your lucky. as for teh cabbage, an avatar closed back 2x12 should be perfect
periphery/bulb!

gear:
Ibanez RG7321 w/ D-sonic in bridge

Peavey 5150 mk ii & b52 4x12 cab

line 6 podxt for recording

Quote by AsOneIStand
Head and Cab for $130? You don't need a head and cabinet, you need a psychological examination.
thanks for all the replies and suggestions! Will I able to find all these amps in a local guitar center / sam ash or will they be sold elsewhere?
yea check out your local stores as well as craigslist and kijiji for used stuff.
Gear:

MIA Fender Stratocaster
Jackson Kelly KE3
Ibanez Universe
Marshall JCM 800
Orange Jim Root Terror
Mesa 2x12
Ovation Custom Balladeer
pedals and such in profile
Quote by ATRKSE92
thanks for all the replies and suggestions! Will I able to find all these amps in a local guitar center / sam ash or will they be sold elsewhere?

Yup, there usually pretty well stocked with those amps.. The Triple might be hard to find though being its discontinued there still out there in force...
Quote by WTF!!is a TAB
peavey XXX
USED JSX
peavey 5150/6505
5150II / 6505+
USED ENGL Fireball
ENGL SCREAMER
USED MESA DUAL RECTIFIER (if you can find one in your price range)

+1

Those are all excellent options
What type of cab should I look into. I'm thinking I should get a 2x12 because I feel a 4x12 would be difficult to lug around. However, the 2x12 cab would definitely be loud enough for gigs / band practice? Keep in mind with the genre I play, there is a lot of "double bass" and "blast beats" keeping the drums very loud.
i think a bugera 333 would work if u treated it well. from what i have heard they have nice cleans, good crunch, and an awesome lead channel.
Epi Les Paul with SD's
VK112
Hardwire OD

Quote by PuppetMaster91
As a relative new-comer to the guitar world I'd just like to point out how much more interesting this thread sounded when I thought a 'Metal Muff' was some sort of chastity belt...

Quote by tymanic
Whats a gibson?
http://www.avatarspeakers.com/list%20guitar.htm

Your choice of 212. They all have the same speakers they just look different. Its around 400 or so with shipping. I believe the traditional is the cheapest.

So you have 600 bucks to play with to get the head.

Just an fyi lol
Pain is an illusion.
YouTube Channel
Last edited by sesstreets at Jan 6, 2009,
Quote by IbanezPsycho
Yup, there usually pretty well stocked with those amps.. The Triple might be hard to find though being its discontinued there still out there in force...

http://guitars.musiciansfriend.com/product/Peavey-Triple-XXX-120W-Guitar-Amp-Head?sku=481353

doesnt look very discontinued to me (you must have been thinking of the XXX combos)
periphery/bulb!

gear:
Ibanez RG7321 w/ D-sonic in bridge

Peavey 5150 mk ii & b52 4x12 cab

line 6 podxt for recording

Quote by AsOneIStand
Head and Cab for $130? You don't need a head and cabinet, you need a psychological examination.
Quote by ATRKSE92
How much would a half stack of these amps cost? More than $1000?

+1 for Avatar, 4x12's start at $498
If you want to get the 2x12, a Hellatone 30 and a Hellatone 60 for speakers might do ya.
And also, a used Mesa Dual Rectifier would be pretty sweet.
Last edited by AJS19 at Jan 6, 2009,