I'm new to electric guitar so I'm not familiar with guitar amps.
Today I was testing some amps in guitar center and most work pretty well.
Later I grabbed a Epiphone Les Paul and plugged it into a Line 6 spider amp( I know most people don't like it, but I just wanna try it myself).
I set the Master on 12:00, and volume on 10:00.
Everything worked fine until I switch the channel to insane. The amp started to scream with extremely high pitch and loud sound without me touching any strings .
Every one looked at me when it happened. And right now I still lost part of my hearing .
Five minutes later I saw a guy playing the same amp, and on the insane channel, but everything seemed normal.
I was going to ask him but that was embarrassing.

I'm always afraid of trying out my first amp as some amps often function abnormally.
I don't know if it's my problem or not. But I always make sure the volume and master are off before I turn on the power.

Can anyone explain why it happened and do you have any tips for me to avoid future damage to my ears? I'm really scared of trying any amps before I know how to operate them correctly .

Your suggestions will help me a lot.
insane has a lot of feedback, you probably had the volume up too high, or some other reason i'll look stupid for not seeing
I'LL ALWAYS NEED THIS
I'LL ALWAYS NEED YOU
Quote by jon12315
I'm new to electric guitar so I'm not familiar with guitar amps.
Today I was testing some amps in guitar center and most work pretty well.
Later I grabbed a Epiphone Les Paul and plugged it into a Line 6 spider amp( I know most people don't like it, but I just wanna try it myself).
I set the Master on 12:00, and volume on 10:00.
Everything worked fine until I switch the channel to insane. The amp started to scream with extremely high pitch and loud sound without me touching any strings .
Every one looked at me when it happened. And right now I still lost part of my hearing .
Five minutes later I saw a guy playing the same amp, and on the insane channel, but everything seemed normal.
I was going to ask him but that was embarrassing.

I'm always afraid of trying out my first amp as some amps often function abnormally.
I don't know if it's my problem or not. But I always make sure the volume and master are off before I turn on the power.

Can anyone explain why it happened and do you have any tips for me to avoid future damage to my ears? I'm really scared of trying any amps before I know how to operate them correctly .

Your suggestions will help me a lot.

In a big store like that, do what I do, turn the amp all the way down, and choose a setting, they don't take good care of their amps on the floor usually. Once you have a setting VERY SLOWLY turn it up while plucking a string. So you can properly measure it. Also, ear plugs? :3
I ain't racist, but fuck black people! - Michael Richards

Nigga please - Al Sharpton

Nigga please - Me
isane is the only ok setting on that amp
Just call me Julius, J, etc.
Taking an Internet break for a while, will come on when I can.
I don't think it's the volume. I didn't even touch it when I switched the channels.

I played my friend's Line 6 modeling amp before and that didn't happen before.
when changing channels start the volume on 0 and the guitar volume on 10
then turn it up SLOWLY
Epiphone SG G-400 faded
Fender Strat
Fender Frontman amp
**Dream Guitar**
Fender telecaster '58 heavy relic in blonde

"its in the key of D minor, i find songs in this key makes people want to weep."
"its called Lick My Love Pump"
Quote by bigz6006
In a big store like that, do what I do, turn the amp all the way down, and choose a setting, they don't take good care of their amps on the floor usually. Once you have a setting VERY SLOWLY turn it up while plucking a string. So you can properly measure it. Also, ear plugs? :3

I will definitely wear ear plugs when I try the amps next time.

What really confuse me is the same problem didn't happen to the other guy that was trying the same amp.
Quote by raymo39
then turn it up SLOWLY

That'll do it.
Do you feel warm within your cage?

And have you figured out yet -

Life goes by?
Quote by Hydra150
There's a dick on Earth, too
It's you
He probably started the volume at zero and went up...

╠═══════╬═══════╣

Solder fume huffer σƒ τλε τρπ βπστλεπλσσδ

╠═══════╬═══════╣

Electronic Audio Experiments
Quote by jon12315
I don't think it's the volume. I didn't even touch it when I switched the channels.

One channel's quiet may not be so quiet on another channel. Overdrive/lead channels on most amps are much louder than the regular channel.
Quote by jon12315

it was definitely the volumes. either you had the master up too loud, or there's a separate knob for the volume on the insane mode, which might have been cranked. if the gain was all the way up, that would happen too. also, i know some Line6 amps will automatically reconfigure their settings when you change modes, and that does include volume settings for channels.

also, on most amps, you need your clean channel to be turned up louder than your distortion channel. it's just how it is.
the amp probably has different volumes for the different channels and he adjusted the volume on that channel before switching. never played that amp, so I'm not 100% sure though
Quote by raymo39
then turn it up SLOWLY

I will assume the amp is defective when the volume needs to be turned down every time I switch the channel

I will do that for sure next time.
If you weren't touching any of the strings it was definatelly feedback, which happens naturally. It's not a malfunction of the amp.

EDIT: And I play Line 6 amps all the time, the mega-increase in volume is from the setting on the individual channel volumes, just like everyone else said.
Slipknot Fan.

Thanks, but I'm not God. If I were God, 3/4 of you would be girls, and the rest would be pizza and beer. –Axl Rose
Last edited by shadowkid33 at Jan 6, 2009,
always turn all gain and volume knobs to 0 before turning on an amp.

go for broke!
Audio Ecstasy Productions!

Guitar/Backline Tech in the Los Angeles area and on tour!
Custom guitar pedals and cabling for stage and studio!

I set up DAWs and tweak computers to record audio. Hit me up @ audioecstasyproductions[at}gmail.com
Quote by jon12315
I will assume the amp is defective when the volume needs to be turned down every time I switch the channel

I will do that for sure next time.

it's not defective, it's just not set right. usually, amps like that have one master control for overall volume, but separate volumes for each individual channel.

if the master is at 50%, and the clean channel is at 40%, that will sound no louder than maybe 20-25% of the amp's total volume capability. but if the distortion channel is set to 100%, and the master is set to 50%, then you are going to get 50% of a loud amp's total volume load when you switch to that channel. and having high gain and distortion doesn't help, as that makes everything seem louder anyways, and can cause feedback if you're too close to the speakers, using a guitar with hot pickups.
Thanks everyone for your help.
A lot of comments are really convincing and reasonable.

Maybe just I'm unfamiliar with the electric guitar world, as my home theater speaker will NEVER sound that LOUD and INSANE compared to those amp speakers.

Again thanks for your help.