Hey, so yeah i bought an MG just over a year ago and i need an upgrade.

I play mainly rock/metal, bands like Alexisonfire, Tool, Russian Circles, heaviest thing i will be playing is lamb of god.

I have £300 but can go up to £400

Ive seen a few options:

New Peavey Valveking 112

Used Marshall DSL 401

Im willing to go used thats not really a problem, just need some ideas really, can anyone help?
Ibanez RG 7-321
Epiphone Les Paul Custom Silverburst
Peavey VK 112
Peavey vypyr 15
I say VK if you have effects. The DSL has slightly better OD but an OD pedal on a VK imo sounds better than it does on the DSL.
Peavey Vypyr?
Current Gear:
LTD MH-400 with Gotoh GE1996T (EMG 85/60)
PRS SE Custom 24 (Suhr SSH+/SSV)
Ibanez RG3120 Prestige (Dimarzio Titans)
Squier Vintage Modified 70s Jazz V
Audient iD22 interface
Peavey Revalver 4, UAD Friedman BE100/DS40
Adam S3A monitors
Quote by Anonden
You CAN play anything with anything....but some guitars sound right for some things, and not for others. Single coils sound retarded for metal, though those who are apeshit about harpsichord probably beg to differ.
I had the same choice so I know where you're coming from. I found the Peavey to be a bit disappointing. It wasn't that it was bad, it just wasn't special in any way at all and seemed rather flat next to other amps. The DSL401 is a fantastic amp for Rock and has a surprisingly good clean channel as well. I still can't think of an amp I'd rather have for the same money.
Gibson Les Paul Studio with Catswhiskers pickups
PRS SE 'Floyd' Custom 24 with Creamery pickups
Fender Standard Stratocaster with DiMarzio pickups
Takamine GN30
BluGuitar AMP1
I live in Northeast UK.

yeah, im open to any other ideas, those are just the two ive noticed so far
Ibanez RG 7-321
Epiphone Les Paul Custom Silverburst
Peavey VK 112
Peavey vypyr 15
Visit Soundslive in Newcastle as I've always found them to be very helpful indeed, though out of those two I bet they'll suggest a DSL
Takamine GN30
BluGuitar AMP1
I own a DSL401, and it would probably be good for what you want if you buy an overdrive pedal to boost for solo's, or an EQ to boost. I find that it can only nail metal on the OD-2 channel, and even then it can be a bit thin with leadwork.
OK, I'm glad someone stepped in because NE UK looks like the North Sea to me

VK is a dark american voiced amp but I don't think you are going to get a polished Tool tone on it. Not without upgrading it anyway.

I was going to say try and find a used 5150 or XXX or something. I know 5150 is mentioned a lot, I just I think that is because there are a lot of them out there.

What about a Laney?
the valveking isn't an upgrade
Mesa Single Rectifier
Marshall 1960A vintage
Rg3exfm1 w/ EMG 85/81
Big Baby Taylor Acoustic
Ibanez TS808
The Laney is a good amp with a great tone but it certainly isn't a gain monster so you'll probably be better with the Marshall.
Takamine GN30
BluGuitar AMP1
^Im pretty sure the vc50 would do what hes asking. You must be getting it confused with the VC30, the VC50 is a 50 watt combo version of the VH100.

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=HtPkQ1_t9OQ

Much better than the VK or that overpriced peice of gay DSL plz.
Yeah, I forget Laneys are at a reasonable price in the UK. Get one!
Quote by H4T3BR33D3R
Way to show everybody up jackass.

Guitar: _______________ Amp:
_ Ibanez SZ320 _________Fender Hot Rod Deluxe

V-Picks!
Quote by beckyjc

Much better than the VK or that overpriced peice of gay DSL plz.

The last person I thought would use gay as a negative term. Beck?
All kidding aside you do get Laney's at reasonable prices over the pond and becky knows her Laneys.
Quote by touji-za-nai
the valveking isn't an upgrade

Listen to mine and tell me it doesn't sound better than an MG.

Seriously if someone expects a stock one to sound like a 5150 or a 6150+ they are fooling themselves, but with a speaker upgrade and an OD to tighten it up, it pumps out some solid tones. I can pull off Lamb of God easily with mine.

Fractal Axe-Fx Ultra
EBMM JP7 Dargies Delight II
Manuel Rodriguez C Cedar Top
Quote by beckyjc
^Im pretty sure the vc50 would do what hes asking. You must be getting it confused with the VC30, the VC50 is a 50 watt combo version of the VH100

Really?
Wow... That's confusing..
I always assumed it was a 50 watt VC30?
Quote by Pookie6
Yngwi3, You win this whole monstrosity of a thread.

Quote by uk.mace
For the best tingle, use Original Source mint. That shit feels amazing on your balls.

Godfather of The Diezel Mafia
^Yeah, i know, laney like to be confusing, but as the VC50s arent made anymore, saves a little bit of confusion.

Gay is a beautifull term, means so many things.