hullo, I'm thinking of wiring my bass like this:

but I'm worried about it humming or not working. the switches will be micro toggle switches and one will be two-pole (since I have one lying about) and the other will be single pole. (is "pole" the right word? I mean one will have three lugs and the other will have two, and I'll just leave one of the lugs unconnected on one of them)

also, I have a few q's about sheilding:

- i can use tinfoil (aluminuim cooking foil) for sheilding right? I just glue it in the cavity and earth it? I know you can buy "real" stuff but I'm on a budget and It'd have novelty value.

- does the scratchplate need earthed (when it's sheilded ) ? I thought since it's touching the pot's casing this'll act as the connection, plus it'll touch the edges of the cavity's sheilding, although this won't be as fullproof a connection.

- my soldering skills leave alot to be desired, and it's bound to get crammed in the small cavity. I'm worried about the sheilding shorting out some connections. can you cover it up in some way? I was thinking, maybe a coat of paint or PVA or something...
You can use regular foil for shielding as long as you use at least 2 layers. As long as everything is touching the shield, grounding the pot cases will not be necessary (and will introduce noise).

"Pole" refers to how many 'common lugs' a switch has. A DPDT (6 lugs) switch has 2 poles and 2 throws (position lugs) on each pole. The switches in your diagram are both SPST (single-pole single-throw).

I dunno if that diagram will work well or at all. What are you wanting to do?

(BTW, Ultimate Wiring Diagram thread. )
basically I want to be able to do what that would do - like, give me normal pbass wiring (both closed), straight to the output (both open), and just vol. knob(tone switch open). I thought the 4th one would be useful aswell, since you could turn the volume pot to 0 and use it like a killswitch. so they'd all be useful.

the reason I'm worried about hum is my current setup is just straight to the output. the only electronics on the guitar is a three way switch and a cap. the first time I wired it up, i just had it wired to break the connection for an "off" pos. and the hum was terrible so I re wired to switch to short the pickups by connecting them to earth and now the "off" pos. is silent.
I don't know if I can do that here though. it might be OK if it's sheilded...
Well, that isn't going to hum any more than it would "stock", but like I said, I'm not even sure it'll work.

However, go to SD (link in the Wiring Diagram thread) and look for 1v/1t/Pbass wiring and just put the switches on the controls like you want.
Quote by jimRH7
the switches will be micro toggle switches and one will be two-pole (since I have one lying about) and the other will be single pole. (is "pole" the right word? I mean one will have three lugs and the other will have two, and I'll just leave one of the lugs unconnected on one of them).
the word you are looking for it throw.

those are both single pole switches, but one is a single throw, the other is a double throw.

Quote by jimRH7
will this wiring hum/ not work?
unless you have a lot of unshielded wire being added, i don't think it will hum much more than stock.

but it won't work the way you expect.

1 - the tone control and its switch should almost right. having the cw end of the tone pot connected to ground will make it act a bit differently than normal, but no major problem there. but you probably won't like having your tone control AFTER the volume control. the amount of cut will change as you adjust the volume. i strongly recommend the tone control comes first.

2 - the volume control is connected wrong. you want to have the input to the volume control at the cw end (as you have it) and the wiper is connected to the output, not connected to ground.

wiring the volume control the way you have it will severely dull the tone before the volume is reduced.

to properly bypass the volume control, you must use a double pole, double throw switch -- DPDT -- 6 lugs.
Meadows
Quote by Jackal58
I release my inner liberal every morning when I take a shit.
Quote by SK8RDUDE411
I wont be like those jerks who dedicate their beliefs to logic and reaosn.
Last edited by SomeoneYouKnew at Jan 6, 2009,
just before I went to sleep last night I was like "bugger - the volume pot's a variable resistor and the tone knob should come 1st". I will re-draw a better plan, and have a look at the normal wiring before I do it...

EDIT:

The tone pot is just a normal pot, but you only wire two of the lugs.
Last edited by jimRH7 at Jan 7, 2009,