Page 1 of 2
I have recently just bought an American Strat with a maple neck, but at times i find it to be painfully bright sounding. I listen to a lot of John Mayer and want a nice fat round sound, similar to Johns. I want to keep single coil pick ups that look just like the standard single coil american strat ones. I have looked at the DiMarzio fs-1 fat strat pick up and would like some more advice on what pick ups to invest in. Thanks
Last edited by SiennaSunburst at Jan 6, 2009,
I'm guessing you want nice cleans out of them? JB's IMO don't have the best clean sound. the Alnico Pro II's might work though.
I think that The humbuckers look ugly on the strat to be honest, who makes the texas specials? thanks
I searched them and they are made by Fender, they look the part, but there is no way i can just try them out like i would a guitar!lol :L
Quote by ortrigger
I think Texas specials are Seymour Duncan but I could be wrong.

nope fender
and TS im not exactly sure what you mean by try out exactly like a guitar, do you mean like they'll be different on any guitar?
Quote by stratdud39
nope fender
and TS im not exactly sure what you mean by try out exactly like a guitar, do you mean like they'll be different on any guitar?

ah. I'll remember that next time.
he means that he can't just throw them on his guitar to see if he likes them and then decide to buy or not.
I got a marshall AVT 100fx.
"he means that he can't just throw them on his guitar to see if he likes them and then decide to buy or not."
thats exactly what i meant! lol
Quote by SiennaSunburst
I got a marshall AVT 100fx.

There's your problem. Your guitar is fine.
I always thought the AVT is a good amp!
I boost the treble, but it tends to sound tinny even when i have the bass boosted also, Just want a fat round sound, similar to John Mayer's
Quote by SiennaSunburst
I always thought the AVT is a good amp!
I boost the treble, but it tends to sound tinny even when i have the bass boosted also, Just want a fat round sound, similar to John Mayer's

you'll be much closer with a blues junior
also, try adjusting the pickup height maybe?
Quote by Mister.Y
Well, The Lion Sleeps Tonight is still a bit popular... I mean, cmon...

awimbawe awimbawe awimbawe awimbawe...

"I'll See You In The Next World, and Don't Be Late"
I just bought the Marshall a year ago, and when i play it with my ibanez it sounds reasonably good and fat. I think this is due to it having Humbuckers at the neck and bridge. Therfore i thought it was the thin single coil pick ups on the strat lol
If you want a fat warm sound then maybe you shouldn't boost the treble. Before you go into buying new pickups you should look into changing your tone caps and pots maybe.
Epi Les Paul Standard
Vox AD50VT
I've tried everything on the amp possible haha
Also i want the treble sound to still be there, but i dont want it to sound tinny like it normally does, just rounder and fatter
Last edited by SiennaSunburst at Jan 6, 2009,
Quote by SiennaSunburst
I've tried everything on the amp possible haha
Also i want the treble sound to still be there, but i dont want it to sound tinny like it normally does, just rounder and fatter

er well idk how loud are you playing it at?
fat and round would call for more bass and midds, and les treble/presence
Yeah well i practise in my room and play gigs every weekend
lol maybe im aksing for the impossible haha
It's probably cause you can;t get Mayer's signature pick ups without buying his strat which costs $2000+
They r called big dippers and they lack mid range which makes them so fat
Quote by SiennaSunburst
Yeah well i practise in my room and play gigs every weekend
lol maybe im aksing for the impossible haha
It's probably cause you can;t get Mayer's signature pick ups without buying his strat which costs $2000+
They r called big dippers and they lack mid range which makes them so fat

wait what?
scooped mids=thin
I'm new to this lol
Quote by stratdud39
go check the ultimate settings thread.

what you mean by that lol
thanks again
lol no prob
go to the gear and accesories forum, and there will be a sticky that says ultimate settings thread(something along those lines, it might say like version 2 or something)
and search for john mayers setting
Ah cool, thanks man
Ive already set my settings as you suggested and its made a bit of a difference, you some kind of amp setting genious? lol
Quote by SiennaSunburst
Ah cool, thanks man
Ive already set my settings as you suggested and its made a bit of a difference, you some kind of amp setting genious? lol

haha trust me, no, there are many many UGers who know MUCH more about amps than i do
oh wow idk if its in there!
well if you just base your settings on low treble and high bass and mids, then you'll be good.
All those guys just figured out the settings on there own anyway, usually you gotta tweak 'em a bit to fit your amp
Yeah i'll spend a bit of time on it, and maybe go for the DiMarzio FS-1 pick up, i've heard its warm sounding lol
Do you have any idea where i would put it if i just bought one?
well for his tone, you'd probably be using the neck mostly, with exceptions like the waitin on the world to change solo.
if i were you i'd sell the ATV and get a blues junior...but its your call.
i recomend playing a blue junior before you make any decision, you'll see what we're all talking about when we say the amp is the problem.
so basically i need to buy a tube amp?
What kind of wattage can you get the blues junior in? Cause i gig every weekend and need something really quite powerful. I think i will hold on to the AVT but save and buy a blues junior too. Ah thats annoyin lol i thought the AVT was great lol it suited all my needs till i got this strat haha
Page 1 of 2