My friend has this band right, and they need a rhythm guitarist. I would want to be the rhythm guitarist but I feel like I would mess up and not be good enough and get embarrassed, I have been playing since April of '08 like everyday and I taught my self, I think I'm average at guitar for being self taught, so I was wondering, to the people who are in a band, did you ever feel this way and have gotten over it? and to the people not in a band do any of you feel the same way? btw I still mess up a lot and I still need to work on all the sorts of picking, alternate, tremolo, sweep, etc. etc.
I felt like it at first, but I find it easier to play well when with people personally. Being in a band helps you to improve quite a lot IMO, and if you want to play in one and you get the opportunity, it's a good idea to take it!
Gear:
Schecter C-1 Hellraiser
Ibanez GRG170DX
Peavey Vypyr 75
Fender Princeton 650 DSP w/ Celestion 80w speaker
Get in the band now. Seriously, if you wait a few more years there is a good chance that there will be nobody to form a band with.

Rythm guitar shouldn't be too complex anyway, just make sure your friend knows what you can and can't play.
Ask your friend if he thinks you're good enough. If you're not, they might be desperate and let you in anyway, in which case you'll improve fairly fast.
Fender '72 Telecaster Deluxe Reissue -> Korg Pitchblack Tuner -> Boss PS-5 -> EHX Big Muff -> MXR EVH Phase 90 -> Menatone Pleasure Trem 5000 -> Line 6 Verbzilla -> MXR Carbon Copy -> Boss RC-2 -> Peavey Classic 50
I feel nervous at first but then its ok to go on stage

PS. I was a drumma but now im a rhythm
Join. You can learn so much from other musicians and from playing with other musicians, you'd surprise yourself with how much you learn in just a couple of weeks.
Then there's this band called Slice The Cake...

Bunch of faggots putting random riffs together and calling it "progressive" deathcore.
Stupid name.
Probably picked "for teh lulz"

Mod in UG's Official Gain Whores
I cant say I'm in a band, but I do practice with friends regularly and I've found it helps out a ton... both for playing with people but also improving confidence and keeping playing music lots of fun
You should get in the band.
Try it out, you'll learn alot by playing in one.
You'll be feeling the same way later on too, it's always good to get as much
experience in playing with people as possible.
well, do you want to be a contributing member and help write music and what not - or just simply stand there playing rhythm guitar? You haven't even been playing for a year, so I would say wait. Have you played infront of more then 15 people, 50 people, and still able to play an entire song, without looking or making a mistake? if not, you are so not ready

Epi Les Paul Std w/Duncans
ESP LTD EX260
Cry Baby From Hell
Marshall JH-1
EHX Metal Muff
MXR EVH Phase 90
Carl Martin Classic Chorus
EHX #1 Echo
Ibanez LU-20
Dunlop DCB-10
Crate V50112
Tascam US144

PEDALBOARD JUNKIES
do it for sure man, its the best way to get better.
Quote by Diet_coke_head
Hey! Now you can molest you're grandma and she won't remember! Score!!!

Gear:
Fender Aerodyne Jazz Bass
Fender V Jazz
Ashdown MAG 410
EH Bass Big MUff
MXR Bass Octave Deluxe
Digitech Synth Wah
you'll feel like that a first
start jamming with the other guitarist
you won't feel as bad dude
trust me
The Darkcide
Mid-Drift Mile 2008-2009
do it, but I would suggest just going and jamming for fun first. that's always a good idea no matter how good you are, to make sure it's something you really want to get into. it might look good on paper, but you might go and play with them a while and find out it's not something you really want to do.
My Gear:
Fender Stratocaster Deluxe HSS
Hagstrom HIIN
Crate Palomino V32H w/ matching cab.
Roland Cube 60
Roland Micro Cube
BOSS ME-20
Digitech Bad Monkey
Art and Lutherie acoustic
Quote by Tyler Durden
well, do you want to be a contributing member and help write music and what not - or just simply stand there playing rhythm guitar? You haven't even been playing for a year, so I would say wait. Have you played infront of more then 15 people, 50 people, and still able to play an entire song, without looking or making a mistake? if not, you are so not ready

You do have a point, I play in front of my cousins and still mess up, I look up songs and try and play them but it ends up being too hard for me so I get lazy and do not finish, I make my own stuff all the time but I don't actually get around to playing full songs or anything like that, just certain riffs that I hear that I like, I try and play them off of the tabs. But yeah I get nervous playing in front of people because I'm afraid of what they'll think if I mess up and if I'll mess up.

EDIT: My friend is the bassist btw and he has two friends of whom Idk, one of them is the lead and the other is drummer, they all go to my school, or the drummer and my friend do, not sure about the other guy who plays lead, I don't want to join the band not knowing the other two kids and then when I play and mess up, they'll think I'm bad.
Last edited by Who Sh0t Ya HxO at Jan 6, 2009,
I'm the rhythm guitarist for my band, we're still putting together a demo. (so you know how far along we are) But I myself am self taught as well, for about 6 years. I'd say by now I'm a pretty badass rhythm guitarist (without getting too egotistical).

I think the main part comes from being COMPLETELY COMFORTABLE with your guitar and your position in the band. Being the rhythm guitarist you need to be able to hold the tempo, and obviously keep the rhythm flowing smoothly. My lead guitarist has a LOT of trouble with this, he likes to play things a lot faster than it should be. So we tell him to play with a metronome, and it's been helping quite a bit. But he still has that nack to play fast.

If you're comfortable with your guitar than you won't feel embarassed when you're playing in front of someone, be it a friend, or family, or band mates because you know you can do what you're doing. Like if you're improvising, you know you can make **** up on the fly because you're comfortable with the amount of knowledge you have with it.

So my question and answer is this, I have had that feeling, and I have gotten over it. And are you willing to put in a lot more practice with your playing to get you up to par?

By the way, surrounding yourself with people that are better than you, helps you "step your game up" and be better yourself. I'd say tell them you want in, and watch how quickly your skills improve.
Amps
Mesa Dual Recto 3 Ch
Peavey 6505 Combo

Cab
ENGL E212VH Cab

Guitars
Epi Explorer
Schecter Damien 6
Squier Strat (signed by Rob Zombie!)

Pedals
ISP Decimator
Dunlop Crybaby Original
Boss CE-5 Chorus Ensenble
Boss GE-7 Equalizer
Quote by StillSoundRG
I'm the rhythm guitarist for my band, we're still putting together a demo. (so you know how far along we are) But I myself am self taught as well, for about 6 years. I'd say by now I'm a pretty badass rhythm guitarist (without getting too egotistical).

I think the main part comes from being COMPLETELY COMFORTABLE with your guitar and your position in the band. Being the rhythm guitarist you need to be able to hold the tempo, and obviously keep the rhythm flowing smoothly. My lead guitarist has a LOT of trouble with this, he likes to play things a lot faster than it should be. So we tell him to play with a metronome, and it's been helping quite a bit. But he still has that nack to play fast.

If you're comfortable with your guitar than you won't feel embarassed when you're playing in front of someone, be it a friend, or family, or band mates because you know you can do what you're doing. Like if you're improvising, you know you can make **** up on the fly because you're comfortable with the amount of knowledge
you have with it.

So my question and answer is this, I have had that feeling, and I have gotten over it. And are you willing to put in a lot more practice with your playing to get you up to par?

By the way, surrounding yourself with people that are better than you, helps you "step your game up" and be better yourself. I'd say tell them you want in, and watch how quickly your skills improve.

this. especially the part at the end. work on your chops to where you feel like you can do a good job, and then go try it out and if you get your ass kicked, it'll make you work that much harder next time. I think we all need to get our asses kicked once in a while.
My Gear:
Fender Stratocaster Deluxe HSS
Hagstrom HIIN
Crate Palomino V32H w/ matching cab.
Roland Cube 60
Roland Micro Cube
BOSS ME-20
Digitech Bad Monkey
Art and Lutherie acoustic
StillRoundRG, sounds like good advice, I just don't want my friend's friend to think I'm a total n0ob at guitar.

EDIT: If I do join this band they will laugh at my set-up, lol even I do, I have a Fender "Starcaster", the cheap beginner guitar from target, and just last xmas I upgraded my beginner amp to a Peavy Vypyr 15 watt which is pretty cool, pretty loud at 2 and goes up to 13.
Last edited by Who Sh0t Ya HxO at Jan 6, 2009,
Quote by Who Sh0t Ya HxO
StillRoundRG, sounds like good advice, I just don't want my friend's friend to think I'm a total n0ob at guitar.

If you tell them you're just starting out, and show them how much you know, they'll probably tell you some things they do that help out, and most likely say you're pretty far along for how long you've been playing.

I thought for a long time I wasn't that good. And that my band wasn't that good. I looked on myspace and checked out some local bands, and saw that our material was so much more dynamic and thought-out.

What I'm getting at is don't be too hard on yourself, though you are your own worst critic, you may be a lot better than you give yourself credit for.
Amps
Mesa Dual Recto 3 Ch
Peavey 6505 Combo

Cab
ENGL E212VH Cab

Guitars
Epi Explorer
Schecter Damien 6

Pedals
ISP Decimator
Dunlop Crybaby Original
Boss GE-7 Equalizer
Quote by Tatersalad1080
do it for sure man, its the best way to get better.

mmhmm
Standard Fender Telecaster
Fender Blues Jr
Ibz10
Quote by Who Sh0t Ya HxO

EDIT: If I do join this band they will laugh at my set-up, lol even I do, I have a Fender "Starcaster", the cheap beginner guitar from target, and just last xmas I upgraded my beginner amp to a Peavy Vypyr 15 watt which is pretty cool, pretty loud at 2 and goes up to 13.

Better gear will come with time, ability, and of course expendable income.

My drummer and I made fun of my lead guitarist for so long because of this crappy Squier he had. The action was way too high, it sounded like ****, but it was his, and he could play whatever he wanted on it.

I started out with a Jay Turser signature strat. No idea who the hell Jay Turser is, or what brand the guitar is, I still have the guitar, and it has AMAZING distortion, by the way. for $150.00 with the crappy 10 watt amp just starting out, I was in awe.

Just don't make the mistake I did and bought the first halfstack I saw for $500.00, crappy Crate GT-1200.

Getting back to the point. You don't need pro gear starting out. As your level improves, your gear will compliment your playing.
Amps
Mesa Dual Recto 3 Ch
Peavey 6505 Combo

Cab
ENGL E212VH Cab

Guitars
Epi Explorer
Schecter Damien 6

Pedals
ISP Decimator
Dunlop Crybaby Original
Boss GE-7 Equalizer
actually still one more question to touch on, You're a rhythm guitarist so I think you would know best. Okay now from what I understand, rhythm guitarist only play chords, is this true? or can play some good melodic stuff instead of power chords the whole song? give me some songs or something to look for hearing rhythm guitar.
play with your friends, even if its not a gigging deal still just do it, its tons of fun and if they're all better than you you'll learn very quickly
It's human to be self-conscious as to how good you are. You haven't been playing for long, but in time you will learn, grow, and become very confident in your own abilities!

I promise, all it takes is some self-confidence! Or a shot or two of Jack...
Audio Ecstasy Productions!

Guitar/Backline Tech in the Los Angeles area and on tour!
Custom guitar pedals and cabling for stage and studio!

I set up DAWs and tweak computers to record audio. Hit me up @ audioecstasyproductions[at}gmail.com
If you're still checking this, listen to my song Keeper in my profile. It's a very fun song to play for any guitarist. I'm the rhythm, and I myself wrote that song in Iraq. I don't really just play chords, and try to not do that at all. I like to showcase my skill, not to the point of being arrogant, but I like playing things that are fun. And chords...aren't fun..
Amps
Mesa Dual Recto 3 Ch
Peavey 6505 Combo

Cab
ENGL E212VH Cab

Guitars
Epi Explorer
Schecter Damien 6

Pedals
ISP Decimator
Dunlop Crybaby Original