Hey guys, I got a quick question, I have a Jackson DK2 and It still has the Licensed Floyd Rose on it that it came with from the factory and I was wondering how much better it would be if I switched to a OFR, and I also wanted to know if the OFR could stand even in trem-heavy music such as some Vai stuff, and if you have a better option than or a better trem to switch to please share. (the only thing is that I would like to have a nice clean fit without having to refit my guitar for the new tremolo)

Thanks
Vai uses a Liscensed Floyd Rose.

If you really find you need an FR upgrade, then get an Ibanez Edge/Edge Pro.
Quote by satchgear
I tried it out in store.

Great neck, nice n light, good tuning stability. Overall a good guitar. I didn't but it cause I generally only buy guitars over a grand now.
Errm, it should be fine but OFR are known not to to properly fit the mounting studs of licenced ones, take the strings, springs and bridge off your guitar and leave the mounting studs in. Then take it to your local guitar shop and ask them if they could check if an OFR would fit, if it does buy one, but try to buy one by Schaller made in Germany (it will say "made in Germany" on the bridge block. If all goes well then you should have better tuning, flutter effect, sharper responce and yes it will withstand heavy-trem use...In fact more than your current licenced one. And the reason for Schaller is because I've found it to be the best so far.
My Stuff:
Gibson Les Paul Custom
Gibson straps
Dunlop straplok
Planet wave cables
Zoom multi effects
Eh... I'd go for a Gotoh Floyd rose... but before you do that get your knife edges sharpened so the trem is as sensitive as it can get.
Current Gear:
LTD MH-400 with Gotoh GE1996T (EMG 85/60)
PRS SE Custom 24 (Suhr SSH+/SSV)
Ibanez RG3120 Prestige (Dimarzio Titans)
Squier Vintage Modified 70s Jazz V
Audient iD22 interface
Peavey Revalver 4, UAD Friedman BE100/DS40
Adam S3A monitors
Quote by Anonden
You CAN play anything with anything....but some guitars sound right for some things, and not for others. Single coils sound retarded for metal, though those who are apeshit about harpsichord probably beg to differ.
Thanks for the input so far, um will the Gotoh FR be a good fit for the licensed FR?

I've pretty much done as much as I can to get the FR as best as possible, but it just doesn't seem to put out very good results.
if you buy a new OFR it should come with new posts so just take the old ones out and put the new ones in. jackson LFRs are usually really good quality. make sure it is set up 100% right. if it still doesnt work like it should, then go to a GC (or other guitar store) and try out an OFR on another guitar. ask one of the salesmen to get a bar for you(they usually take them out so they dont get stolen). then use the OFR like you use your FR. if its noticably better than switch to an ofr. if its not that much better than youre expectations of the floyd rose system may just be to high.
The Best Floyd Rose Is A Setup Floyd Rose!

Gear:
STARcaster Strat
Dean Tradition Acoustic
03 B.C. Rich NJ Warlock Speedloader
Xaviere XV-599
Epi 1984 Explorer
Crate GTD65
Epi Valve Jr
Bogner Alchemist Head
Marshall 1960B