I use my index primarily, on the very very least complex songs, but i stick mainly with the index-ring finger, and I use my pinky when I have to reach over to notes far away.
Quote by srvguitarrulez
I heard someone say that Fall Out Boy had amazing guitarwork. But, it was a 13 year old girl, so it didn't matter.
Get used to using all your fingers. So that you don't have to keep on shifting your hands up and down the neck.

Use the 1-finger-per-fret rule.

I use all of my fingers. But when I'm just holding down a note to play continuously, I use my index, just cause its the first finger. But it depends on the note I'm playing after.
I'd say my index finger gets used more. That's probably the case for most people I'd assume. But it doesn't really matter, as stated before you should be using all four fingers or you're just making it harder for yourself.

Thinking about it, I think I use my middle finger the least.
Eh, it's all pretty even though.
index probably gets the most attention but all fingers are used close to equal ammounts. depends on the song.
dean edge one 5 string
Schecter studio-4
Samick fairlane-6
Ibanez sb900
Ibanez btb775
Fender p bass special deluxe

Dean Del Sol
Ibanez prestige rg2610

Peavey TKO 65
Peavey vb-2
Quote by the_perdestrian
listen to revelation, for he is wise in the way of bass-fu
Like everybody else said, I use all four.
Become more efficient~
Quote by Azgirio
Yeah, you definitely raped his churches and burned his women.

Quote by LordBishek
Forgive the bluntness, but what in the chucklefucking hell is this?
I usually start with my middle finger if i'm just gonna mess around for a bit just cause it makes it easier to head straight to the 3rd of wherever i am.

Still really good to be able to use all four with equal ability. My pinky had a problem with that for a bit, nothin a bunch of practice cant fix though.
"Rome wasn't built in a week"

"Yeah but when they built rome, they didnt go "hey look, there's a functional building" AND ****ING KICK IT OVER AND PISS ON THE ASHES BECAUSE THE PEASANTS WERE CRYING THAT IT WAS TOO GLORIOUS AND AWESOME."
I hit the root with my middle finger on most songs, so I can do major arpeggios. : D
Quote by Mutant Corn
I think that was the point...those are the most popular body styles, and TS wants to know which one UG thinks is coolest.zAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA

edit: my cat walked across my keyboard
Quote by anarkee
You should be using all four fingers. Otherwise you are not playing efficiently.

What this guy says
Quote by budget bassist
What this gal says

I agree, yep.
Lord Gold feeds from your orifices and he wants to see you sweat.
Lord Gold probes you publicly and makes your pussy wet.
Now say his name.....
I currently only use first-middle-ring for fretting. I am trying to work in my pinky but its not agreeing with me
I Like Green!
Quote by matsif
I currently only use first-middle-ring for fretting. I am trying to work in my pinky but its not agreeing with me

Keep working at it then. That's all you can do.
Gear:
Schecter Stiletto Custom-5
Epiphone SG; EMG 85/81 pups
Schecter 006 Deluxe; SD Duncan Distortion Pups
Major scales root is with the middle.

Minor generally with the index.

Playing live, thumb over the top of the neck, index and middle on the fret, right hand pounding away the root notes with a plectrum.

Gear:
Fender Standard Jazz Bass
Artec Matrix Pedal Tuner
BBE Optostomp
Boss GEB 7
EHX NYC Big Muff
Ashdown MAG C410T-300
Torque T100BX
GAS-ing for:
Boss SYB5
Behringer Intelligate IG9
Last edited by Jonnomainman at Jan 7, 2009,
I use all 5

Quote by matsif

It will come; give it time and practice, eventually it'll feel so natural you'll do it without thinking.
Playing too much double bass and piano has stopped my ring finger from working properly

Good for scales, not good for chromatic and funk/slapping .
In the bass chat:

<Jon> take the quote of me out your sig plx
<Jon> i hate seeing what i said around lol

Leader of the Bass Militia PM to join!

And now on BANDCAMP!

Officially the funniest member of the Bass Forum.
Seeing as I have little hands, I have trouble using the index-ring fingers for those whole note spreads boefore the 5th fret. =[ I end up using index and pinky usually. I do practice the spider-webbing exercises, and it's helping so far.
Schecter Stiletto Studio 5
Ibanez SRX2EX1
Gallien Krueger 1001rbii
Gallien Krueger Neo 410
all of them. i tend to gravitate towards using my index and ring finger the most.
GAS List:
Nothing
Quote by Thunderbird660
i use mainly my middle

I use them all, just middle more than others

What he said.
If you cant get a hold of any of the finger exercises then id get practicing cowboys from hell and the main riff of enter sandman, quite fun to play and tests your fretting hand :P
All ten, and occasionally my feet for cool ability to play 2 basses at one time. but usually just the digits.
Quote by JeremyKing
All ten, and occasionally my feet for cool ability to play 2 basses at one time. but usually just the digits.

Yeah that is fun, but 2 basses? I think guitar+bass is so much better. 2 basses would be interesting though. Unfortunately I only own one
Quote by Jonnomainman
Major scales root is with the middle.

Minor generally with the index.

Playing live, thumb over the top of the neck, index and middle on the fret, right hand pounding away the root notes with a plectrum.

Same for me, but no pick