Hey all,

I've been playing for a few years, mostly poking around with Epiphones and Squiers. But I feel as though the time of my ascension has come: The Gibson Les Paul. As I'm serving active duty in the U.S. Army, I have nothing but time to devote to my playing.

The catch is, I don't know the real difference between the models. And I'd prefer to find out from fellow players rather than the guy trying to sell me one. Money isn't an object here. I want the best quality and sound.

So if anyone would care to shed some light on this and describe them, along with the general sound of the models, I would greatly appreciate it.

Thanks for the view,
Aaron
The studio is the lower end version I believe
The standard is better, and I don't know about customs or specials
They're all great guitars though

I am the King of Carrot Flowers

Special -> Studio -> Standard -> Custom

In that order.
Quote by deathbat831
.........oh wow.
Eddy 372, im nominating you badass of UG
Quote by disturbed_n_wv
I believe thats the best looking Explorer I've ever seen, I did think they were all ugly until i seen that one Eddy372 good choice.

Custom > Standard > Studio > Special

Best <--------------------------------Worst

The scale is the best of quality, playability, style and feel.
But does go up in price as the guitars get better!

Epiphone Les Paul Standard w/ SD Alnico Pro II's
Fender Aerodyne Telecaster & Stratocaster
Marshall JCM 800 4104 combo

E-Married to Funny_Page
You're gonna get your epic mount! *nerd mode*

I have an Epi Classic and if the Gibson counterpart is anything like it (probably better) I would kill to have one!

Gratz on your ascension dude!
Audio Ecstasy Productions!

Guitar/Backline Tech in the Los Angeles area and on tour!
Custom guitar pedals and cabling for stage and studio!

I set up DAWs and tweak computers to record audio. Hit me up @ audioecstasyproductions[at}gmail.com
Do all the Standard models have a 50's neck? I think I'm leaning more towards the Standard, but the thick neck is still a little odd. I've only played one for about 20 minutes, and from what I've read the 60's neck is supposed to be thinner.
In my opinon, the ONLY diferance is aesthetics. At least Between the Studio and the Standard. I own a LP Studio Vintage Mahogany and it has the same pickups, hardware(minus tuning keys) electrical routing.....duh, there all LP's and the only differance is wether or not you want a thick nitrocellolouse finish with binding or not. Oh and its about $700 more. I prefer my lightly coated Vintage Mahog Studio.
just my 2 cents.
Not really... I don't think the Burstbuckers sound that great (however, I don't think the 490/498s are anything to talk about either). Not to mention, I'm pretty sure ALL Gibson guitars outside of the '95 Page model used the 490/498 combo until about 2004. There might have been a few others that used the 496/500 ceramics but I recall for the most part, all the standard production models used the 490/498 alnicos. Pickups don't really matter to me anyway, I pretty much replace stock pots and pickups in just about every guitar.

Quote by Butters8754
In my opinon, the ONLY diferance is aesthetics. At least Between the Studio and the Standard. I own a LP Studio Vintage Mahogany and it has the same pickups, hardware(minus tuning keys) electrical routing.....duh, there all LP's and the only differance is wether or not you want a thick nitrocellolouse finish with binding or not. Oh and its about $700 more. I prefer my lightly coated Vintage Mahog Studio.
just my 2 cents.

Has Gibson changed the finishing option on studios? The studio I got... way back when has a nitrocellulose finish.
Last edited by al112987 at Jan 6, 2009,
The one I bought is lightly coated in a cherry finish. Its not the thick laquer that the Customs and Standards have.
Hope this helps.

Oh and the Quailman, straight from the Gibson webpage.

Pickups: Gibson Burstbucker Pros on STANDARD models.

Regarding the LP Studio VM
From Musicians Friend:
"BurstBucker Pro humbuckers. Designed especially for the new Gibson Les Paul Standards."

how can they be better if its the same thing???
Quote by Butters8754
The one I bought is lightly coated in a cherry finish. Its not the thick laquer that the Customs and Standards have.
Hope this helps.

Oh and the Quailman, straight from the Gibson webpage.

Pickups: Gibson Burstbucker Pros on STANDARD models.

Regarding the LP Studio VM
From Musicians Friend:
"BurstBucker Pro humbuckers. Designed especially for the new Gibson Les Paul Standards."

how can they be better if its the same thing???

thats the NEW standard les paul standard '08
Fender Telecaster
Squire Vintage Modified '70s bass
Quote by Butters8754
Hope this helps.

My bad you said you had the VM, I thought you were talking about the regular studios because mine has a nitrocellulose finish but mine is a few years old by now.

Yeah the VM has the same pickups as the standards.
The Studio has teh fatter and beefier 50's neck. the standards and customs have 60's neck, which i personally find more comfortable. the 490/498 humbuckers are pretty sick on the studios, but the brustbuckers and PAF reissues on teh customs and standards are excellent too. bottom line however, the Standards and Customs feel a bit nicer, play a bit faster and are built better (in MY opinion). others tend to disagree. No hating on my Studio though-i absolutely adore it.

Its all personal preference. Will you have a time or place to check them and try them out?
Gibson Les Paul Studio
Squier Classic Vibe Tele
Fulltone Clyde Wah
Fulltone OCD
Fulltone Deja Vibe
Fuzz Factory
Carbon Copy

Boutique Marshall-Style 50watt amp head
Orange 2x12
Custom Black Beauty Imo.
Gibson 1972 SG Pro T-Top Bridge, P90 Neck
Dean DBD T ML
Jackson JS30RR EMGs 85-81
Epiphone G-400 Goth
76 Mann Les Paul Custom
Fender f-230 Accoustic
Randall RG-180 DX
Line6 Spider III HD75 Head - Behringer 412
Saving for a Marshall JCM 800.
Quote by aaron66
Do all the Standard models have a 50's neck? I think I'm leaning more towards the Standard, but the thick neck is still a little odd. I've only played one for about 20 minutes, and from what I've read the 60's neck is supposed to be thinner.
Older Standards could be bought with either neck. New ones only have one neck profile, a weird asymmetrical one which is great if you're a hardcore shredder but not very comfortable if you're anyone else.

As far as quality goes:

Custom and Standard are the same. Customs are now marked as being from the Gibson Custom Shop, but in reality they're still made along side the Standards as they always have been. The only difference is the Custom will cost more because more time goes into the finishes. Bear in mind too that if you buy a white Custom, it requires you to store and handle it very carefully because certain materials will cause the white finish to discolour almost instantly. Generally Standards are better value and are less hassle.

Studios are... well, generally pretty poor. In the mid-90's Gibson made some fantastic Studios, but for a long time they've been bad. Especially now where even the Standards are hit-and-miss, Studios are even more of a gamble. Generally with Studios, you're buying the equivilent of a higher-end Asian LP but paying extra because it has 'made in America' and the Gibson logo on it. The actual quality is usually no better. Stay away from them.

Special Faded, Vintage Mahogany, Fadeds, Studio Fades and so on: all effectively the same as the Studio, simple as that. Don't bother with them.
Yes, I know everything. No, I can't play worth a damn.
A child is trafficked and sold for sex slavery every 30 seconds. Support Love146.
I don't really think the studio is THAT poor, I bought mine back around 2000 (wow, can't believe it's been that long...), I mean it took a while to find a good one, and I played some seriously rank guitars in the process but I've played some seriously rank standards and some seriously rank customs as well. It's a case by case basis as buying any guitar is. All the vintage mahoganys I've played in the stores have been pretty decent, I guess you're right in that they're not really a better value than a good MIJ les paul, but truth be told, none of Gibson's standard production guitars are really a better value than a high end MIJ les paul. And I've played mid 80s Tokai Love Rocks and Navigator Les Paul copies that could easily keep up with anything coming out of the VOS line these days. Of course those guitars are quickly becoming pretty collectible themselves.
I never understood why the studio gets such a bad rep, The VM is a great guitar. It's a visually unappealing guitar but plays and sounds great.

I heard the customs are the only ones that aren't chambered, but I Don't know how true this is.
You could also get a Deluxe. I like Deluxes.
Phrases Label
The Bohemes
---
The White Strat w/Dimebucker
Tokai Explorer Korina
Ibanez RG570 Purple Neon
Gibson Les Paul Deluxe Ebony
Fender Telecaster Apple Red
Dano '59 Burgundy
Ibanez Artcore AM-73
Ok, so I ended up with purchasing a used 2005 1960 Reissue. Does anyone know the kind of hardware used in it? The thing is beastly and I definitely love it. Absolutely bad-ass.
I'm stuck on deciding between a Gibson Les Paul Standard 2008 model or the Gibson Dark Fire.
Fender American Deluxe Stratocaster
Gibson Les Paul Traditional Plus
Takamine G-115 Flamenco
Fender Blues Deluxe Amp
Fulltone Full-Drive 2 Mosfet
Zakk Wylde Signature Wah Pedal
H2O Liquid Chorus/Echo Pedal
MXR M108 10 Band EQ
Quote by aaron66
Ok, so I ended up with purchasing a used 2005 1960 Reissue. Does anyone know the kind of hardware used in it? The thing is beastly and I definitely love it. Absolutely bad-ass.
When you say 1960 Reissue, I assume then you mean the Custom Shop 1960 Reissue? Or do you mean a Standard which has the 60's neck?
Yes, I know everything. No, I can't play worth a damn.
A child is trafficked and sold for sex slavery every 30 seconds. Support Love146.
No mention of the special yet? what a shame

IMO the special is a different breed from the rest because of its Pickups. It has 2 p90s.

If you are wondering what p90s sounds like, they are distinct from a humbucker or single coil. They are punchy and mid rage monsters, they have more beef than a single coild but not as much as a humbucker. They handle cleans well but are a dream when cranked.

I would get the special , just because i love that p90 sound. If you dont do metal, p90s will be fine, however not everyone likes them as much.
Quote by yellojeeper
Thank you for your service to our country.

+1.

and i would look at anything but the studios. the studios can play nicely, but their pickups aren't anything special and i think a les paul without binding looks weird and cheap-ish
LOL! TS is on another question already. He already bought a guitar.

And TS, we need details.
go for the standard, use the extra money for beer or something. the customs are real nice but for the xtra money, just get the standard
R.I.P. Randy Rhoads