Hey UG,

I was offered a JCM 900 50 watt combo for 500 bucks was wondering if this was a good deal?

I play shred, fusion, funk, blues, rock, polyrythmic death metal, latin ect..

Was wondering if this amp would suit me.

It's the JCM 900 1x12 combo 50 watts all tube model 2501 from the 1990's asking 500 bucks and mint.

and was also wondering if it went well with pedals?

Also lastly i was reading reviews and it says you can't really get a clean tone. but i was wondering maybe if i dial back the gain switch to my middle pick-up(single coil) and roll the volume down on my guitar if it will clean up. or even maybe get a MXR 10 band EQ and dial the gain down and set it for shimming cleans.

so what do you think?
thats a pretty good deal. you should go try out one and see how you like it, and if you do jump on it.
Quote by BryanChampine
It was like a orgasm in my ear.
Chea_man is the best.
i saw some vids on youtube and it sounds sick with a boss ds-1....then again i wouldnt get the ds-1 i would get a keeley modded ds-1 ultra. or even a visual sounds jekyll and hyde OD and DISTORTION pedal.

What do you guys think?
first off, jump on this amp. i personally love the JCM 900. also, dont get a jekyll and hyde. i have one, and its terrible.
Quote by nodice182
Denny Crane.

Quote by dmiwshicldply
touche vman, touche

mate. feed. kill. repeat.
yeah but what about the clean channel of the 2501?

would rolling the volume down or ew pedal help getting shimmering cleans?
if u want shimmering cleans, i did see a relatively cheap pedal that does exactly that. its called the cool cat(?) clean overdrive.
Quote by nodice182
Denny Crane.

Quote by dmiwshicldply
touche vman, touche

mate. feed. kill. repeat.
Danelectro makes the Cool Cats and have some transperant ODs if that is what is what you are talking about. Bad Monkey would operate similarly as well.

TS - jump on that and you can always sell it (maybe for a profit) if it doesn't work out for you. You are on the right track for your cleans, but I don't know about 'shimmering'. Chorus pedals are used in these situations as well.
hmmm ok, but right now im iffy.

I read that this has clipping diodes or something and thats why this amp is frowned apon or something?

like this is my first tube amp and i want it to be good. is this good?

what exactly is a clipping diode?

and will that effect the way a tube amp takes pedals( and in volume)?

does this make it a bad tube amp? and why?

and lastly(tube question) would i be able to change el34 tubes to 6l6? and how?
-I don't think it is frowned upon too much. It may not be the classic 800 but it is a good amp. Especially for $500.

-yes

-it is a diode that adds clipping. jk.... I'm not an amp tech but I believe it is a resistor that adds breaks or stops to the signal to provide the sound of a pushed tube. It just adds distortion basically. Pretty common. My Valveking has it but I can turn it on and off with a boost button. I think the 900 has similar boost button but maybe someone else can chime in.

-no

-no

-not sure on tube swap.

If you don't get all your answers here I would hit up Gabel's Only Marshall Thread - which you can find up in 'The gear thread collection' Sticky. He will know these answers for sure if he see's your post.

good luck
Clipping would be the technical part behind overdrive/distortion. It has to do with how the signal is amplified beyond the limits of the amplifier. At this point the waveform will clip. Smooth, soft, clipping, the type generally found in tube amps, or overdrive pedals which try to replicate this is generally preferred. Distortion generally refers to any harsh clipping of the signal, found in things like SS amps, distortion pedals, and fuzz.

A clipping diode is basically a diode (not resistor, that's why it says 'diode' :p look it up on wiki or something, basically it lets current pass one way, but not the other) used to induce clipping, so OD or distortion in the signal.
Some people may frown upon it, but then again you remember it will have some preamp tubes used for distortion, as well as any poweramp distortion you get if you crank it.

For $500, I'd say that's worth it. That's about £250 over here, a JCM900 is definitely worth that, could sell it for a profit.

Finally, just listen to it!
Adam
ok thanks guys

Just one more noobish question.. do all tube amps have diodes like in the jcm 900?
No clue so bump for ya. My hunch is no.

All I know is that to remove the 'diode clipping' in a valveking you remove (short) r100 - which is a resistor. I guess what I'm saying is IF that truely ended up being a big deal for you then you could always have that portion of the signal chain removed. I'm guessing. Also, when I looked up diode just now I saw a reference to rectifiers. Like I said, I'm not an amp tech or an EE so if someone wants to tell me to shut up if I don't know what I'm talking about i'm OK with that
ones with overdrive or distortion, yes
Quote by H4T3BR33D3R
Way to show everybody up jackass.

Guitar: _______________ Amp:
_ Ibanez SZ320 _________Fender Hot Rod Deluxe

V-Picks!
Quote by tenaciousjp
ok thanks guys

Just one more noobish question.. do all tube amps have diodes like in the jcm 900?

JUST GET THE AMP ALREADY, DONT TURN IT DOWN BECAUSE OF A ****ING DIODE! but in all seriousness, ibanezpsycho probably knows about these diodes
periphery/bulb!

gear:
Ibanez RG7321 w/ D-sonic in bridge

Peavey 5150 mk ii & b52 4x12 cab

line 6 podxt for recording

Quote by AsOneIStand
Head and Cab for $130? You don't need a head and cabinet, you need a psychological examination.
hey i just found out the mesa boogie lonestar and mesa boogie roadking amps use silicon diodes.

i think i know what they are, it's like for more preamp gain and distortion. the reason the jcm 900 is frowned apon from the jcm 800 and plexi is because to get gain out of that, you have to crank it to get a good distortion, unlike the jcm 900...i think.
Quote by tenaciousjp
hey i just found out the mesa boogie lonestar and mesa boogie roadking amps use silicon diodes.

i think i know what they are, it's like for more preamp gain and distortion. the reason the jcm 900 is frowned apon from the jcm 800 and plexi is because to get gain out of that, you have to crank it to get a good distortion, unlike the jcm 900...i think.

you dont need to crank the 800 for good distortion, it has a master volume
periphery/bulb!

gear:
Ibanez RG7321 w/ D-sonic in bridge

Peavey 5150 mk ii & b52 4x12 cab

line 6 podxt for recording

Quote by AsOneIStand
Head and Cab for $130? You don't need a head and cabinet, you need a psychological examination.
get see how you like it, you can sell it for 700 or 800 easy

07 Fender American Deluxe Strat
07 Fender Custom Telecaster
09 Seymour Duncan Pickup Booster
09 Fulltone OCD V.4
10 Ibanez WH-10 V.2
09 Splawn SuperStock
10 Jet City JCA-20
97 Fender Hot Rod Deluxe

Yeh the SICK! bit sounds a bit stupid.