The band im in has really been having troubles with our bass player. It's usually whatever he wants, we don't want. We already found a better bass player/lead vocalist to replace him, and we aren't sure how to tell him we want him out. what is the best way to do it? Do we have the whole band tell him or just me. I really need help on this.
I would tell him one on one. Its better to maybe ask him if he likes the band, and maybe convince him to quit Either way it doesnt matter. As long as he doesnt try to kill you in your sleep
5150 III 100W, Mesa 4x12 Cab, Framus Cobra Cab, M-Audio Profire 610, ISA One Pre, SC607-b, Equator D5's, Countryman Type 85 Di box, Radial JCR, Superior Drummer, SSD 4 Ex, TS9, NS-2 and the list goes on and on
just sit him down and try to be as nice about it as possible.
Quote by nodice182
Denny Crane.

Quote by dmiwshicldply
touche vman, touche

mate. feed. kill. repeat.
i guess it depends in how democratic things are inside the band. If it is YOUR band, then is job. If not is better if you do that in a band meeting or something like that. The sooner the better for the band and for him.
just be like ' you know what, maybe this thing isnt gonna work out' say the whole band broke up ...then be like 'oh we reunited again this week . but dont tell him and just replace with fresh bassist. if he has a problem..then esplain that he isnt going in the same direction.
Quote by vmanoman
just sit him down and try to be as nice about it as possible.

this
Live fast, die young, and leave a good lookin corpse

Have a practice and tell everyone not to bring their instruments, then all of you sit down and tell him nicely.
"Whoever is in this band raise your hand and cross this line"
"---Not so fast buddy"

Best way for it to go down.
Famous last words are for men who never said enough. - Anonymous
Gear
Agile 3000 Rootbeer slim
Vox Valvetronix VT30
Takamine GS430S Acoustic
Quote by luislasports
just be like ' you know what, maybe this thing isnt gonna work out' say the whole band broke up ...then be like 'oh we reunited again this week . but dont tell him and just replace with fresh bassist. if he has a problem..then esplain that he isnt going in the same direction.

This is the faggot way out.

Just tell him and say sorry.
Tell him straight up that he's not foit for the band. I've had to cut many people before, and it's usually not easy, especially if they're your friend outside of just your band.
Quote by MetalOblivion93
The Philosopher = Smart
The Philosopher = Win

Quote by sashki
Slayer wrote a negative song about you because you considered the possibility of them writing a positive song.

JOIN THE PS3 ALLIANCE GROUP
lol dont tell him over msn. it gets them so pissed off. and make shure he doesnt make a new band with your 2nd guitarist. thats waht happened to me lol. drummer kicks me out, and the guitarist and me make a new band.
Quote by NotFromANUS
"Don't brutal your sister, Timmy!"

last.fm
Quote by SGibson666
This is the faggot way out.

Just tell him and say sorry.

This^

The apology is important.
Make sure you tell him that it's nothing personal (even if it is) but that you feel that he and the rest of the band have different aims and as a result are working against each other, which obviously is bad for the band and bad for him as well.
Tell him it's nothing to do with playing ability (even if it is) and infact you think he's a very good player who should get his own band together playing what he wishes to play and even suggest that if he does, both bands should play a gig together sometime. This will help to take his attention off being sacked and direct it into making plans instead, which in turn helps to diffuse any tense situations.
Don't tell him he's already been replaced, that's just gonna insult the guy, let him think that you're going to be looking for someone then let him find out that you have a new member a few weeks later.
As said earlier by Genghis_khan, if it's your band and if you're the guy who hired him, then it's up to you to fire him (in which case, apologise for hireing him for a role that he isn't suited to) if it's a democratic band, tell him as a band, but don't get all cocky because you outnumber him or anything, you should all be apologetic.

So why go to all this trouble to ease the blow?
Reputation, it's any band's greatest asset and should be guarded like the crown jewels. The last thing you want is an ex member going around badmouthing you behind your backs, and even if he does, don't retaliate, it'll just make you look as bad as him.
Last edited by SlackerBabbath at Jan 8, 2009,
there was a thread about this the other day.

and the day before..

and the one before...

*anyone else have the deductive skills required to detect the pattern?*
Slacker pretty much said it.

My band recently replaced our drummer (in September) who had been with us for years. It was hard because we were friends, and it sort of felt like we were betraying him. Unfortunately, if someone dosnt come to practice (or shows up an hour late every time), dosnt like the music your band plays, dosnt mesh with the rest of the band personality-wise and pretty much is the odd man out, he needs to be replaced. It was very hard but we stood outside my house and talked for a while and I just told him that the band was wanting to go in a new direction and that we didnt think he was the right fit for it. I said Im sorry and I know it is a let down, but its something that we have to do.

This guy was a phenomenal drummer and a good friend, but for the sake of the music and for the sake of the band it had to be done. It was one of the best decisions we ever made. Our new drummer is fantastic and all on board with what we are doing and his personality is a perfect fit. It turned out well in the end, but it was very hard when we were in the middle of it.

Long story short: get it over with so that you can progress. Do it face up and dont procrastinate. It must be done.
Quote by BrickIsRed
Drive him out into the wilderness and set him free.

or take him out of the city border
Burn his house down.
Quote by hostilekid
shadesofanger, you're my hero.

Quote by GoldenBlues
So I was wondering, are black people capable feeling love? I mean can their brains comprehend that kind of emotion, or are they not programmed that way.
I think some should just make a word document and copy and paste an answer into every thread like this...

It gets old people... Use the search bar
Dang dude!
If you are a guitarist and he's a bass player, he should answer to you!!!!!!
POWER TO THE GUITAR!!!!!!!!

Just say F You man! Your out!
^Yeah... No. Do what SlackerBabbath mentioned, and things so go smoothly (relatively speaking.)
DANNY

Quote by kevinm4435 to some guy
hey d00d i herd u dont like shred u r a genius 4 thinkin dat. all shred is fukin lame wit no soul u no wat im sayin??
just quit holding practices for a while
then start them back up quietly
and bring the new bassist
if he asks any questions about it
just say you have no idea what the direction the band is going in anymore and that you think you might quit
he'll see its a sinking ship and stop asking about practices
Glimsom wrote:
I fell several hundred feet, and hit the ground, and then Batman appeared. He said "You gotta press the Y Button to fly." Then I woke up.
Just do what we did with our singer and basically say look no hard feelings we still wanna be friends just we dont feel your style fits the band something like that.
Quote by cueva101
i think all of you guys should be threr in case he starts to fight

HAHAHA good plan bro