We're starting a band, up til now 3 guitars, 1 keyboard, 1 bass and 1 drummer
The drummer however, is planning to sell his kit, and do what he enjoys the most, Guitar. (We have a backup drummer though)

Leaving us with 4 guitarists, which sounds cool and interesting, and we're all pretty exited about this, as we all tend to see a solution to the non standard band settup...hopefully
It might get noisy, hard to control but is adjustable (I believe)

So the question is, go for it.. or not?
Last edited by Eccer at Jan 7, 2009,
That's a terrible idea, but I'm only one man with one opinion.

Prepare for twenty more men with the same opinion to follow suit.
Telecaster - SG - Jaguar
Princeton Reverb, Extra Reverb
P-Bass - Mustang Bass
Apogee Duet 2 - Ableton Suite
go for it, be inventive =)
Quote by Abunai X
Oh my God. I've only laughed out loud on this site about 4 tiems since I signed up.

You have just created a 5th.

Quote by cukd7x-a2-
OH. MY . GOD

for that you get the tower of lulz, with which you can reach the lulgods
if you guys are all inexperienced and havent been in a band setting before then i would say no. it would sound like noise and there would either be a lot of complaining from the members who arent playing very much or too many players playing at once.
Quote by Diet_coke_head
Hey! Now you can molest you're grandma and she won't remember! Score!!!

Gear:
Fender Aerodyne Jazz Bass
Fender V Jazz
Ashdown MAG 410
EH Bass Big MUff
MXR Bass Octave Deluxe
Digitech Synth Wah
I suppose three could work, one doing rhthym, then the other two doing harmonised leads. But what could the fourth guy do?

Three is enough, if not too many in my opinion, if you all try to do different things, it'll end up just noise.
Gear:
Ibanez S470 (EMG 81/S/85)
Sigma DMC-15E
Laney VH100R
Laney 4x12 Cab
Ibanez Weeping Demon
M-Audio ProKeys 88
Mbox 3 Pro
KRK RP6 G2's
Plum Team FTW!

X
4 guitarists = the harmonic area that the guitar lies in being saturated to hell. Don't expect individual riffs and lead parts to be audible as individual instruments. It'll be one big mush unless you try to keep the number of individual guitar parts to a minimum.
I think 3 guitars in a band is too much, your going to hate having 4, I guarantee it. But I mean do what you want
I think 4 is way to many guitars, especially because you have a piano player.
Quote by MooshMooshMarc

Hi 5 man! this is what Im talkin bout!

Rig:
05' B.C. Rich Warlock
Line 6 Spide III 75 Watt Combo
Behringer Cry Babe
Digitech Death Metal
Boss DD-3 Digital Delay
Rodam Cables
D'aDarrio XL
Chain for a strap
Tell the drummer if he sells his kit he wont be coming into your band. He's only welcome as a drummer. Since you have that backup drummer it's not like you're in a lose situation.
bro0otal

Drummer

Guitarist___________Bassist________________Vox______________________Lead Guitarist
I think that even 3 guitars is overkill. I cant imagine what it would be like with 4 especialy if you wanted to do a cover or something. Add a keyboard player on top of that, and you have way to many lines, so, as said above, the music becomes just noise. I would actualy only keep two guitars, unless you plan to do a lot of harmonized lead stuff. But hey, im not one to talk, im having problems with my own band.
Joža je kul. On ma sirove z dodatki pa hambije.
Quote by BobMarleysGhost
I suppose three could work, one doing rhthym, then the other two doing harmonised leads. But what could the fourth guy do?

Three is enough, if not too many in my opinion, if you all try to do different things, it'll end up just noise.

Harmonized Rhthym?

I think 4 is too much. 3 is good to have if you want to sound like Iron Maiden or Whitechapel with all the harmonies and stuff.

Go with what Banana Man said.
Quote by hostilekid
shadesofanger, you're my hero.

Quote by GoldenBlues
So I was wondering, are black people capable feeling love? I mean can their brains comprehend that kind of emotion, or are they not programmed that way.
As was pointed out, you're going to crowd the living hell out of the guitar's frequency range. If I was an engineer recording you, I'd probably have to kill myself. Unless all of you guys have a very subtle style of play that leaves room for the other guys, I can't see this being anything but mud.
Quote by xEpidemicx
I think 4 is way to many guitars, especially because you have a piano player.

^^ THIS ^^

Do you guys have any experience with writing songs?? Because you guys are going to need a hell of a lot of arranging and orchestrating to get any sort of decent sound.

You can't have too much going on in the music. I recently was in a sort of spontaneous jam session with 3 guitars, 2 basses, 2 drummers, and me on the piano. Most of the time it sounded cool, but then there were the times when the guitarists were all trying to solo and it clashed horribly.

And if you're going to go for a sound with harmonizing solos or anything like that, you better know lots of theory and plan to actually have to write the solos down and tab them out, so everyone can learn their individual parts.

Pretty much what I'm getting at here is that you guys are going to have to practice lots and be really tight as a band.

Oh yeah, good luck finding cover songs with 4 guitars

-Souls United
Quote by koslack
As was pointed out, you're going to crowd the living hell out of the guitar's frequency range. If I was an engineer recording you, I'd probably have to kill myself. Unless all of you guys have a very subtle style of play that leaves room for the other guys, I can't see this being anything but mud.

if you were an engineer recording them you wouldn't have any issues with only recording 4 guitar tracks. i've recording 12 guitars before and still wanted to add more (ran out of track space) also another thing, compression + eq = distinct range for each guitar to cover

if you guys are beginners i wouldn't recommend it.

if you're all decent players and can afford the right gear then go for it. also remember to think more so composition wise when writing songs. you can easily have 3 guitars covering the rhythm section in a live setting. i've actually written stuff before and thought "how am i going to get 6 guitarists to play this with me!?!"
Quote by Souls United

Oh yeah, good luck finding cover songs with 4 guitars

-Souls United

with heavy metal it shouldn't be very hard. even alot of general hard rock/rock has many subtle overdubbed guitars. i'd wish more luck to rearranging a full recording of some songs to 2 guitars.
The genre of the music, all your respective abilities and, more importantly, egos, are going to define whether this is at all feasible. All 4 guitar parts are going to have to be subtle as to not make it a wall of guitar noise. You riffs that will occasionally have to be doubled, trebled or quadrupled up will have to be super tight or they will sound messy. Finally you will have to be willing to sit back and let the lead player at that particular moment take the spotlight.
Fender P Bass Mex

Guitar Set Up
Fender Strat Mex (Modded)
Toadwords Leo Jr
Vox Wah V847
Electro Harmonix LBP-1
Line 6 FM4
Boss DD-20
TC Electronic Tuner
Orange Tiny Terror(ist)

Check out my band
www.asparagusnow.com
Best two guitarists:Lead and Rhythm.

Or dual lead depending on your genre!I suppose
New to being in a band?
Not extremley proficient in theory?

If you've answered yes to one or both of those questions, then having 4 guitarists is a big mistake. Three is extremely difficult to accomodate, four would be stupid. Natural selection will take place, two of them will become bored and drop out, it's just gonna happen that way. Don't fool yourself thinking it would be a good idea and that you could keep everyone satisfied. It'll be difficult enough getting the band used to each other, without having to search for songs (or write them) that would suit 4 guitarists. Too much rhythm guitar.

But if you're adamant, go for it, but heed my warning.
And if you're back here in a few months saying 'So we have 4 guitarists, but two hate it, what should i do?' don't expect too much sympathy.

That's just a warning for if you choose to ignore the advice in the thread.

db
And most people even let your keyboardist out of the equation. And it wouldn't surprise me if you'd all clash due to musical preferences anyway, so I'd say get the other drummer and some other people in and form 2 bands or something.

But 4 guitars and 1 keyboard = 5 instruments which can all play some sort of lead or backup section. Overkill for sure
3 guitars is already more than you need. 4 would be pointless imo.
Sounds like you got two bands there buddy. 4 guitars would be living hell, not just the sound created and "amp-wars" that will occur at practice, and god forbid, on stage, but thing of all the egos flying around! Who gets solos? Who plays what? That sounds horrible!

That said, it's great that you have so many people willing to play. So best option is to make two bands. Also your drummer shouldn't sell his drum kit to take up guitar, he should just take up guitar as well. Drummers are always needed in bands and he'll get way more future work if he sticks with it as well.
And no, Guitar Hero will not help. Even on expert. Really.
Soundcloud