Page 1 of 2
what amp settings do you need to sound like them . i know i should probly mess with my amp and find out myself , but id like a lil bit of help so im goin in the right direction. thanks!
why do you want to sound like fall out boy

how old are you 9 ???
PSN USERNAME: MetuulGuitarist7
STEAM:MetuulGuitarist7
Origin:MetuulGuitarist7
feel free to add me
what gear do you have?
Quote by BryanChampine
It was like a orgasm in my ear.
Chea_man is the best.
Quote by pretanga
stick to metallica dude they are so much better than fob

hes not asking for your permission to like FOB, he is asking how to achieve similar tones.
Quote by BryanChampine
It was like a orgasm in my ear.
Chea_man is the best.
Quote by jof1029
ive got my eye on this thread. any band bashing or making fun or the ts' taste in music will not be tolerated.

sorry jof1029..................

I'll never do it again
PSN USERNAME: MetuulGuitarist7
STEAM:MetuulGuitarist7
Origin:MetuulGuitarist7
feel free to add me
Quote by WTF!!is a TAB
why do you want to sound like fall out boy

how old are you 9 ???

You sir, are an idiot.
Gibson Les Paul Custom
Fender American Tele

F/S:
Orange Rockerverb 50
Orange PPC412
Well, what's your equipment?

Just as a general tip, i'd boost your mids and treble and maybe cut back on the bass.
As for gain, it really depends on what amp you have, but try to keep a moderate amount of gain.
Call me Wes.
Gear:
Fender American Deluxe HSS Strat
Chicago Blues Box Roadhouse
Bad Cat Cougar 5
1957 Gibson GA-5
Ceriatone 18w TMB Combo
Hughes & Kettner Tube Factor
Various Ibanez TS9s
Weber MASS Attenuator
Yeah... What your gear is is going to be the place to start... They use a pretty standard modern pop/punk setting and all I really know about their gear is that I think they use Mesa's... But then again what band doesnt these days? (That last part was sarcastic and a bit of a joke)
^I've seen them gig with a Tiny Terror
Quote by jdmurrayz
Fap energy comes from the soul, not the body.
Get up kids are so good.
But i couldn't help you with the tone check youtube for live shows and see what amps they use.
Peavey VTM
Marshall 8412
Fender 4x12 loaded with t75's
Epiphone LP-100
Fender Stratocaster Highway one
ive got a marshall mg 100 half stack( its purple ) and a fender mexican fat strat with the bridge pickup switched to a seymore duncan alnico II pro
Quote by metallica435
ive got a marshall mg 100 half stack( its purple ) and a fender mexican fat strat with the bridge pickup switched to a seymore duncan alnico II pro

Purple is awesome. The amp itself, well...

I'd try your bridge pickup, on the lead channel with gain set at about 5 (adjust it to taste), and maybe with bass at 4, middle at 7, and treble at 7.
Call me Wes.
Gear:
Bad Cat Cougar 5
1957 Gibson GA-5
Ceriatone 18w TMB Combo
Various Ibanez TS9s
Weber MASS Attenuator
i picked it up at guitar center about a month ago cause it was about 500$ for the half stack and i needed a amp to play live with cause i just started a band( our first show is in three weeks!! )
That's cool. Congrats on your new band and your first show. I'm mainly more concerned with the quality of that amp as it is not really made by Marshall nor does it sound like a Marshall. I just don't want you to rack your brains trying to tweak that thing or buy pedals in your quest for FOB or modern rock/metal in general.

Actually, a Valveking will sound closer to a Marshall then the MG and it is an all tube amp. The B-52's are also all tube and are selling at Guitar Center for $360. Something to consider if you are still within their 30 or 45 day exchange policy. Also, just so you know, a 100 watt half stack and a 100 watt combo have about the same amount of volume. May not look as cool, but they can be easier to transport to band practice and gigs.

Just throwin that out there and good luck either way
Last edited by 311ZOSOVHJH at Jan 7, 2009,
Get rid of the MG and get an Orange Tiny Terror. I believe one guitarist in each band uses Orange.

Anyway, The Get Up Kids aren't even comparable to FOB in any way shape or form. I would actually recommend going to a standard SSS pickup set up for Get Up Kids tone.
2 things wrong with this:

1. their tones sound nothing like each others! FOB is overproduced studio sounding, and tguk is more raw and original.

2. please don't ever compare the greatness that is TGUK to FOB.
I thought FOB used Vox amps
Quote by H4T3BR33D3R
Way to show everybody up jackass.

Guitar: _______________ Amp:
_ Ibanez SZ320 _________Fender Hot Rod Deluxe

V-Picks!
Quote by 311ZOSOVHJH
That's cool. Congrats on your new band and your first show. I'm mainly more concerned with the quality of that amp as it is not really made by Marshall nor does it sound like a Marshall. I just don't want you to rack your brains trying to tweak that thing or buy pedals in your quest for FOB or modern rock/metal in general.

Actually, a Valveking will sound closer to a Marshall then the MG and it is an all tube amp. The B-52's are also all tube and are selling at Guitar Center for $360. Something to consider if you are still within their 30 or 45 day exchange policy. Also, just so you know, a 100 watt half stack and a 100 watt combo have about the same amount of volume. May not look as cool, but they can be easier to transport to band practice and gigs.

Just throwin that out there and good luck either way

is it worth getting an all tube head vs the one i got with the half stack and will an all tube head work with the speaker cabinet from the half stack?
Quote by metallica435
is it worth getting an all tube head vs the one i got with the half stack and will an all tube head work with the speaker cabinet from the half stack?

no, the MG cabs are terrible. bring back the amp AND the cabinet. buy a b-52 AT112. do it right now, and your e-penis will get much bigger
periphery/bulb!

gear:
Ibanez RG7321 w/ D-sonic in bridge

Peavey 5150 mk ii & b52 4x12 cab

line 6 podxt for recording

Quote by AsOneIStand
Head and Cab for $130? You don't need a head and cabinet, you need a psychological examination.
hey fob happens to be one of my favorite bands. i love their new album.

but uh, you need a gibson sg man. that will hit the nail on the haid. if you listen closely, he actually has a really sweet tone on his guitar.

like in the song "the carpal tunnel of love"
Last edited by JohnFrusciante6 at Jan 8, 2009,
Quote by JohnFrusciante6
hey fob happens to be one of my favorite bands. i love their new album.

It's okay. The way they structured the album was weird, though. i would put the tracks in a different order, ending with "What a Cath, Donnie".

Quote by JohnFrusciante6
but uh, you need a gibson sg man. that will hit the nail on the haid.

Nah, don't need that. A simply EQ adjustment should get him close.
Quote by JohnFrusciante6
i edited my post**

but you can really hear his SG in the carpal tunnel of love. some songs just sound like scratchy distorted guitars.. but some songs sound really cool on their guitars.

Nah, he won't even notice much of a tonal difference with an SG over his Fat Strat.
Yeah, they're totally different guitars, but everything sounds mostly the same through an MG. Especially when you're using the same pickup types.
Call me Wes.
Gear:
Bad Cat Cougar 5
1957 Gibson GA-5
Ceriatone 18w TMB Combo
Various Ibanez TS9s
Weber MASS Attenuator
Quote by Exo M7
I thought FOB used Vox amps

i've seen them using a bunch of different amps. joe played a bogner uberschall for a while, recently i've seen him with a thunderverb 50.
i used to be a mod, then i took an arrow in the knee.
Quote by metallica435

well...you kinda asked the same question there but I think I know what you mean. Based on your question, I think, an all tube head on current cab would be better than an MG head on current cab. Period.

Now, are there better cabs out there too? Yes.

You may want to check something quickly but I thought those purple stacks were sold as 1 item.

Anyway, I personally would much rather have a B52 AT60 for $370 then a MG Stack for whatever that cost. $599? I forgot. And hell, for $600 you could find a used 5150 or Mesa F30. ....Just sayin'

Edited due to inturdnet
Last edited by 311ZOSOVHJH at Jan 8, 2009,
Quote by metallica435
ahhh! its too late to bring it back

take it back to the store, tell them you want to return it to get something else. make sure you stress that part. they can return it and give you credit on account so you can buy whatever amp you choose. Your credit car wont even be touched unless its to pay the difference. Ill tell you right now ittl be a bitch for them to get a Tiny Terror for you. If the guy you sold it to says no, ask POLITELY to see an assistant manager. Dont keep messing with the sales associate. And if they dont do it, bring it to my store and ill return the sumbitch for you. it CAN be done...we do it in Pasadena and people love us more than Hollywood or West Covina cause the guys there can be jerks.
Gibson Les Paul Studio
Squier Classic Vibe Tele
Fulltone Clyde Wah
Fulltone OCD
Fulltone Deja Vibe
Fuzz Factory
Carbon Copy

Boutique Marshall-Style 50watt amp head
Orange 2x12
Last edited by HyperBoy2519 at Jan 8, 2009,
Yo man once again congrats on starting a band.

Our band plays a lot of FOB so I think I can help you out.
You can work with the Marshall if you want, although a different amp would probably work better. I use a VOX AD50 on the Marshall voicing for From Under the Cork Tree and earlier stuff and the AC30 setting for everything after that. What everyone said is correct on low for bass and high on mids and trebles, with around half distortion.

Fat strat isn't necessarily the best guitar to use for their stuff because no one in the band uses a strat, Joe plays his custom washburn model and stump his custom gretsch now, both double humbuckers, but using the bridge hum with the tone dialed back to around 8 or so should do you well. And keep in mind that a large part of their sound comes from the stuff not on the records, like sliding up and down the neck between some bars, just have fun with it
your best bet is to trade the mg for a tube amp. don't worry about the guitar. you have a decent bridge humbucker. with a cranked tube amp you will have a good tone for this.
Ibanez S320 with Dimarzio Fred + Seymour Duncan 59-> Weeping Demon Wah -> Ibanez TS-7 -> Homemade iBoost x3 -> Keeley DS-1 -> Visual Sound H2O -> MXR Ten Band -> Traynor YCV20
seeing as how i am trying to find a similar tone, since this tone could be used for several pop/punk bands i cover, would it be better if i changed some of my settings?

as you can see from my sig, i have the appropriate gear. my settings for my JCM are:

gain:5-6
treble:6.5-7
mids:4
bass: 6
prescence: 6
channel 2 (normal gain)
reverb: 0
deep: off
tone shift: off
ultra gain: off

ESP EC-1000 *Vintage Black*
Orange TH30 Head