Page 1 of 3
First of all, Hi I'm new and this is my first thread, anyway,
I need to make a PowerPoint presentation for my Comp Tech class on an informative topic of my choice and so, I chose Metallica hehe. The presentation is capped at 5 minutes and I plan to put some sort of audio or better yet video of metallica playing in the presentation. So far I used audacity to cut out the solos of Whiplash from Kill 'Em All
and Master of Puppets from Master of Puppets. I need to choose a solo/part of a song which really embodies Metallica. So far I think I may go with Master of Puppets because it involves some of the lead up into the solo including James singing. Do you all think it will work or do you have any other recommendations/parts of Metallica songs you would like to recommend? The shorter the better because I can't go over the time limit and a part of a vid might work as well any constructive advice will help
The rest of my project will talk about a lot of other things including playing style so if anyone has any interesting information/interpretations of metallica's style, that would also help.
Thanks!
Blackened
Let's not bicker and argue about who killed who...
Quote by Necrophagist777
I'm ORION, LORD OF EVIL, give me your soul and breathe in my darkness.

YOU WILL NOT ENJOY THIS......
╭∩╮( º.º )╭∩╮
You could do Am I Evil as an intro, but cut it off as soon as the main riff starts and then continue with the Whiplash/ MOP.
Sail upon the open skies
Quote by gdriz
holy wars or hangar 18

this
I can honestly say I have really been far even as decided to use even go want to do look more like.

I don't always post on UG, but when I do, I post in the Pit. Stay thirsty my friends.
Do the interlude of Master Of Puppets starting at the clean part then let it play up to the second solo.Most likely half the people in you're class wont be big fans of metal so start of slow.
Who Said Anything About A Signature ? ಠ_ಠ
Quote by gdriz
holy wars or hangar 18

Use the riff from Enter Sandman to show how they don't just play fast stuff but are still heavy.
Quote by Vincent Vega
Haikus are awesome
but sometimes they don't make sense
Refrigerator

Quote by KissingShadows
People always tell me I solo like Zakk Wylde. Thats how I know that I suck.
Quote by gdriz
holy wars or hangar 18

He meant good songs.

Quote by thsrayas

Use the riff from Sad But True to show how they don't just play fast stuff but are still heavy.

Fixxxer'd.
Quote by imdeth
This man deserves my +1

+1

Quote by denizenz
Go in peace my son, and teach to the pit dwellers what I have shown unto you.

ಠ_ಠ

XBL: huffy409
Last edited by [x]Huffy[x] at Jan 6, 2009,
Quote by gdriz
holy wars or hangar 18

funny.

Metallica.

not megadeth

I'd say the beginning of Master of Puppets. Those opening chords shook me to the core the first time I heard them. Hell, just play the whol song while you're doing your presentation.

Be like, "ladies and gentlemen, welcome to metallica." then start the song. then after the opening plays lower the volume and continure your presentation while it plays.

You'll get an A. They can't deny the metal!
Cut out a picture of James Hetfield's face and wear it like a mask.

And end everything you say with "AAAH!"
Throw in the main riff from Enter Sandman. Probly their most popular song, so its good to have some of it in there. Also the chorus from The Day That Never Comes would give people who listen to Top 10 radio a vantage point.
I am an officially ordained Dudist Priest.

"Human beings are miraculous for their ability to learn and adapt from their mistakes, but even more so for their apparent disinclination to do so." Douglas Adams
Just use Anasthesia (Pulling Teeth). Win.
Quote by Mudmen190
If loving ham makes me gay, I'm Rob Halford.

Quote by musiclover2399
MyNameIsLame just nailed it (actually both his statements did some nailing).

Quote by Oroborous
This is honestly the best first post I've ever seen

^^ Directed at me. E-peen wankery sigs ftw.

My Last.FM
Also don't just ignore the Load albums, even if you didn't like them at least include them to show how their style changed.
orion as backtrack........ increible ajajaj and.. play any heavy part in order to show their aggresive playing style live or pic videos from the Live ****: binge and purge
TH3 G3Ar
- JCM 900 SL-X and SV MKII 100HD with LIne 6 sv412
-Bunch of pedals ( WD,BM,NR-2...)
-Ibanez Universe uv777pbk,Rg 2550&321mh
-http://backtorlyeh.bandcamp.com/
Quote by drunkinkoala

*Walks up to teacher*

"CAN I GET AN A-PLUS-AAHHH!"
Quote by imdeth
This man deserves my +1

+1

Quote by denizenz
Go in peace my son, and teach to the pit dwellers what I have shown unto you.

ಠ_ಠ

XBL: huffy409
A bunch of nice ideas here (including the Hetfield mask ), but I'm still a little unsure on some things. First of all, most of the class has most likely not been exposed much to metal and so I'm going to need something that might work no matter really what audience. So popular songs like Enter Sandman and the Day that Never Comes might work, but more specifically, I need to pick probably no more than 1 minute of a song or 1 minute total of 2 songs (to reflect change in style over time). As much as I would love to play master of puppets throughout the whole presentation, I sadly have to talk and explain Metallica's history, record sales, style etc., and the awesomeness of the whole song would probably destroy half the room, so yeah, plus theres a 5 minute maximum for the whole presentation so stopping halfway through Master might not work. Do you guys think a guitar solo with lars drumming, james singing buildup would be enjoyable and representative of metallica?
And all great song suggestions so far although Im biased a little towards all Metallica songs
Sorry for the long posts!!
...metallica's style hmm overrated and highly distorted put that in your pipe and smoke it
Quote by drunkinkoala

you sir are a winner.
Quote by candysars
Thank you Jesusaurus.
The solo from One. All the GH players will be like "OMGZ I beat this on expert 100% star power ftw"
We are the diamonds that choose to stay coal;
A generation born to witness
The end of the world

[quote="'[x"]Huffy[x]']He meant good songs.

Fixxxer'd.

Says the guy with the Thrice avatar
I'd say youll have to do a medley. Explain that the clip is going to span Metallica's almost 30 year run, and that their style has changed vastly. Each section im about to list will obviously only last a few seconds.

Start with WHIPLASH!, then cut to the DIE! DIE! on Creeping death, then onto the clean part of Master of Puppets, then to the main riff of Blackened, then the second solo on Sad But True, then give them some Unforgiven, and a GIMME FUEL GIMME FIRE GIMME THAT WHICH I DESIRE, YEAH!, then (I know, i know) the riff from Frantic, and finish it off with a little Suicide and Redemption. If anyone doesn't listen to you after that, they are retarded.
Dude include the solo of one somewhere in your presentation man.

the song deserves it.
I see you're not using the UG black theme

Originally posted by GOD
akm_202, i now announce you, king of awesome. You may bow down to me.
Play some old stuff, skip St. Anger (although I do like the album) and then end some Death Magnetic material too, like "All Nightmare Long".
Mechanix

/thread

i could make it shorter.

observe:

Uhh metallica was an awesome thrash metal band from the late 80's. they had dave mustaine, then they fired him and they were all down hill from there, observe: *play early metallica* then say this was with dave mustaine, and this is how they sounded after they fired him *play St. Anger*, and this is now *play something from Death Magnetic*. And be like "this is how they'd sound if they didnt fire dave" *play holy wars* They suck now, the end. P.s. Lars lieks teh moneyz, lolz. he is a jew, he sues everyone! muahahaha
Quote by RU Experienced?
See the FFFFFFFFFUUUUUUUUUU- thread, he's a God amongst men.

^^ about me

Confucius once say: "Women is like jazz music, 3/4 jazz time, 1/4 ragtime."

This is my sig, get over it. ಠ_ಠ
Last edited by xyz66 at Jan 7, 2009,
Quote by Furnase
wat

lol, i like how your icon thingy has a pic of dave mustaine, then it does to metallica, then to kirk(i think)
Quote by RU Experienced?
See the FFFFFFFFFUUUUUUUUUU- thread, he's a God amongst men.

^^ about me

Confucius once say: "Women is like jazz music, 3/4 jazz time, 1/4 ragtime."

This is my sig, get over it. ಠ_ಠ
Quote by Riot Act
I'd say youll have to do a medley. Explain that the clip is going to span Metallica's almost 30 year run, and that their style has changed vastly. Each section im about to list will obviously only last a few seconds.

Start with WHIPLASH!, then cut to the DIE! DIE! on Creeping death, then onto the clean part of Master of Puppets, then to the main riff of Blackened, then the second solo on Sad But True, then give them some Unforgiven, and a GIMME FUEL GIMME FIRE GIMME THAT WHICH I DESIRE, YEAH!, then (I know, i know) the riff from Frantic, and finish it off with a little Suicide and Redemption. If anyone doesn't listen to you after that, they are retarded.

That sounds awesome but it needs some MoP, and maybe a riff or two from ...And Justice for All
Last edited by Furnase at Jan 7, 2009,
Quote by xyz66
Mechanix

/thread

i could make it shorter.

observe:

Uhh metallica was an awesome thrash metal band from the late 80's. they had dave mustaine, then they fired him and they were all down hill from there, observe: *play early metallica* then say this was with dave mustaine, and this is how they sounded after they fired him *play St. Anger*, and this is now *play something from Death Magnetic*. And be like "this is how they'd sound if they didnt fire dave" *play holy wars* They suck now, the end. P.s. Lars lieks teh moneyz, lolz. he is a jew, he sues everyone! muahahaha

Wait, WHAT!!

imo what happened to Dave and Metallica was a good thing, if Dave hadnt left Megadeth wouldnt have formed, and Master of Puppets (and the newer albums) wouldnt have been made
I see you're not using the UG black theme

Originally posted by GOD
akm_202, i now announce you, king of awesome. You may bow down to me.
Last edited by akm_202 at Jan 7, 2009,
Nothing else matters, great solo you could have it build up slightly by using the chorus and verse before the solo. You don't have a slower song either.
Last edited by josh999x at Jan 7, 2009,
Quote by Riot Act

I like this..alot
Quote by Riot Act

I really like this idea because it explains the music probably better than I could myself, I might do this thanks! Gunna have to edit some songs though :/ but thats okay and ill fade out with suicide and redemption. When you say start off with whiplash do you mean start off with him yelling WHIPLASH! or some riff from whiplash? Also, i dont want to do one because a bunch of people have probably played GH3 and would be shrieking their high scores and how they did the solo 100% which would sort of lower my overall presentation quality.
Lol @pacman im definetely going to mention napster
All im going to say about Dave is that he was kicked out for being a drunk and leave it at that lest I disturb any Megadeth fan on the forum or at class lol
Thanks for the great ideas and thanks for the welcome to UG! Keep em coming if you have any more
Quote by gdriz
holy wars or hangar 18

Wait, what?
Quote by Pinballwizard93
you sir, Martinikiss7, should be president.

Jizz is where it is
Page 1 of 3