I know it's probably because I'm OCD, but I just can't find a good metal solo tone for my rig. I have an LTD Viper 400 and a Randall RG50TC tube amp, so I know a good tone is in my power to achieve, but when I compare the tone I get to my favorite guitarists it seems my tone is too trebly, not bassy enough, or just plain inadequate.

Is there something I could purchase to help me shape my tone a little bit more sense I seem to be a tone junky?
"Music is an expression. Not competition." ~ Woe, Is Me

Guitar
ESP LTD Viper 400

Amp
Orange Crush 35LDX
Less gain, more mids is always a good place to start.

An EQ or overdrive pedal would be worth looking into.
A dwarf might hear you. What then?

My Music
get a line 6 spider lol or i say get and overdrive pedal
Want something that looks like spam but is actually legit?! Well I have the thing for you. Nah dude, I actually get legit MS points from this and do like 2 surveys and you can get about 400.

http://www.points2shop.com/?ref=EmoSlayer
Quote by Emo-Slayer
get a line 6 spider lol or i say get and overdrive pedal

A very noob statement considering he said he had an OCD which is a ****ing pedal. Obviously dont get a line 6 spider.

If this was a joke, it was a very bad one. If its what you actually think, read the damn stickes.
Last edited by jarudy at Jan 6, 2009,
Quote by jarudy
A very noob statement considering he said he had an OCD which is a ****ing pedal.

Actually I meant OCD as in Obsessive-Compulsive Disorder...

Guitar
ESP LTD Viper 400

Amp
Orange Crush 35LDX
Quote by jarudy
Sorry, thought you meant fulltone OCD pedal

It's all good

But I have my eq currently as such: mids at about 7.5, my treble at about 8, and my bass at about 6.5.

Guitar
ESP LTD Viper 400

Amp
Orange Crush 35LDX
You know you're a guitarist when you read that somebody has OCD and you think it's the Fulltone pedal. I've done it.
Quote by Vincent Vega
Haikus are awesome
but sometimes they don't make sense
Refrigerator

Quote by KissingShadows
People always tell me I solo like Zakk Wylde. Thats how I know that I suck.
Quote by thsrayas
You know you're a guitarist when you read that somebody has OCD and you think it's the Fulltone pedal. I've done it.

that happened to me. except i didnt even know what the disorder was, i just heard some people talking about OCD and i was like "what amps have you tried it with". they just gave me that look O_O

anyways, about the metal tone, getting a bad monkey OD to tighten/boost the preamp will do wonders to the sound, and if you look in the right places, im sure you could easily find one for cheap as all hell. as for the amp settings, i say that one of the most important things in metal tone is not using too much gain. where is it at right now? oh yeah, and lots of mids is a must for solos
periphery/bulb!

gear:
Ibanez RG7321 w/ D-sonic in bridge

Peavey 5150 mk ii & b52 4x12 cab

line 6 podxt for recording

Quote by AsOneIStand
Head and Cab for $130? You don't need a head and cabinet, you need a psychological examination.
neck pickup (if you dont already use it)
Gibson Les Paul Studio
Highway One Telecaster
Dean Evo
Mesa F-50
Laney GH50L
Vox AC30 C2
Ampeg V2
pedals
Quote by Thebiz
I know it's probably because I'm OCD

I don't really think you can BE OCD as such, you HAVE it....just sayin'
Well, if it's not bassy enough, and too trebly....
The obvious thing to do would be to a) use the neck pickup and b) turn UP the bass, and turn DOWN the treble.

Also, in my humble opinion, the mids should be set the highest, especially for soloing.... but that's just what i like...
Adam
Switch to your neck pickup (if you're not already using it) and throw in an EQ pedal.

Also, you might want to try adding a phaser to the mix to add a bit of sparkle to your tone. Or you could always add some delay - a lot of people use delay on their lead tone to thicken it up a bit.
^ oh yeah reverb and delay should help it sound a bit more "epic"
periphery/bulb!

gear:
Ibanez RG7321 w/ D-sonic in bridge

Peavey 5150 mk ii & b52 4x12 cab

line 6 podxt for recording

Quote by AsOneIStand
Head and Cab for $130? You don't need a head and cabinet, you need a psychological examination.