if you have cheap headphones (think ipod headphones) and you have them up loud enough that you can't hear anything else, is that as bad as having good headphones where you don't have to crank the knob as much to get good sound because they do a better job of isolating outside noises and get... "deeper" in you ear? while both headphones sound the same volume when sitting on my desk out of my ears with the knob at the same spot.

is the bottom line, the louder the more likely it is damaging regardless of where the knob is?

thanks
Quote by Strato-Massacre
yeah you shouldnt have told the pit to rape your mom.

Quote by Kensai
It's not sexist, girls are just too stupid and weak to hold up doors and stuff for themselves.
Quote by Lt.DanHasLegs
if you have cheap headphones (think ipod headphones) and you have them up loud enough that you can't hear anything else, is that as bad as having good headphones where you don't have to crank the knob as much to get good sound because they do a better job of isolating outside noises and get... "deeper" in you ear? while both headphones sound the same volume when sitting on my desk out of my ears with the knob at the same spot.

is the bottom line, the louder the more likely it is damaging regardless of where the knob is?

thanks

...duh?
You're*
Quote by Survivalism
...duh?

He's asking weather it depends on the type of headphones as well...

I don't know myself as I've only used iPod headphones, also I'm really conscious of my hearing so I never have it turned it up loud.
YellowGreenBlueRed

Quote by webbtje
You live in a ruler, the only child of trouser water (?); it's very fantastic, and salami!
Quote by Survivalism
...duh?

idk if its the waves litterally shaking your ear drum or whatnot, in which case wouldn't the cheap ones be putting out more??... maybe kind of the same thing as how tube amps sound louder to us but statistically they aren't.
Quote by Strato-Massacre

Quote by Kensai
It's not sexist, girls are just too stupid and weak to hold up doors and stuff for themselves.
If you experience any ringing or loss of hearing levels after exposure to loud sounds there has been some permanent damage. While it's likely a small amount it adds up quickly. Believe me I can no longer sleep without white noise as the ringing in my ears it so bad.
Do you use a BR-600?
If so, click here to join the group thats made for you!
In ear headphones are generally worse since they are closer to your eardrum.
As a general rule, if you can hear a ringing in your ears afterward, you have damaged your ears.
E-married to ilikepirates

Quote by bloodtrocuted93

How are you so fucking awesome at music?

>¦<
¦
Answer to your real question: yes you should shell out the cash for some nice ones
I think we took too many drugs when we were kids,
'cause now we like to make
Weird Music
-Wayne Coyne
^huh, i did not know that, and its permanent? that sucks... but in-ear wouldn't necessarily be worse would they? wouldn't it just translate into less volume on the knob to be loud enough to hear it right?
Quote by Strato-Massacre

Quote by Kensai
The reason it damages your ears is because you hear the sounds through the vibrations of the sound wave coming into your ear. The sound wave gets amplified by bouncing around in your ear to your ear drum. The louder the sound is, the stronger the sound wave is, which is why it would damage your hearing. With the earbuds in farther, it might bounce around faster possibly making it more likely to damage your ears, but I am not certain, and I'm sure you could easily google it.
Well theres more isolation so you won't need to turn it up to hear over things happening around you.Deffinitley invest in some quality headphones.
Who Said Anything About A Signature ? ಠ_ಠ
I'd have thought it was actual loudness, not perceived loudness which causes the problem so the more expensive, in ear, noise cancelling ones should be better.

do you have to listen to your music at that level?
Rhythm in Jump. Dancing Close to You.

Quote by element4433
Yeah. people, like Lemoninfluence, are hypocrites and should have all their opinions invalidated from here on out.
Last edited by Lemoninfluence at Jan 6, 2009,
I would think that louder is always worse regardless of the headphone type or what it sounds like to you. In the ear buds will sound louder and better at lower volume. Noise cancellation cans (bose qc2) will provide the best volume to sound quality ratio while not damaging your hearing.
Quote by Lemoninfluence

do you have to listen to your music at that level?

not at all, its hardly every beyond a reasonable level, i was just curious, and i'm not sure if i knew enough backround info to fuel a successful google search.

actually, i've got some ten dollar sony's the little blue ones that go in the ear and there's a thing going over and behind the ear. they're really the best i've heard stuff through, they wear out in a couple months though, but its only ten dollars, they keep me happy and i don't have to worry about breaking or losing some crazy expensive bose ones. though i'm sure they would sound immensely better
Quote by Strato-Massacre

Quote by Kensai
get noise canceling headphones
Scar tissue that I wish you saw
Sarcastic mister know it all
Close your eyes and I'll kiss you cause
With the birds I'll share
This lonely view
i asked the doctor the same thing he told it dose not matter , if it is loud it will harm your ears ,it dose not matter if they are good or not or how much you spend you will harm your ears.my ears has been ringing for over 25 years now .there hair like fibers in your ears when you damage them they do not grow back ,when they are gone your hearing is gone .look it up it will tell you the same thing im saying now .dont be a dumb ass be smart one time in your life and take care of your ears when they are gone you are **** out of luck.
i got a friend right now that cant hear crap do to head phones .you better be wise
Quote by stompbox
i asked the doctor the same thing he told it dose not matter , if it is loud it will harm your ears ,it dose not matter if they are good or not or how much you spend you will harm your ears.my ears has been ringing for over 25 years now .there hair like fibers in your ears when you damage them they do not grow back ,when they are gone your hearing is gone .look it up it will tell you the same thing im saying now .dont be a dumb ass be smart one time in your life and take care of your ears when they are gone you are **** out of luck.
i got a friend right now that cant hear crap do to head phones .you better be wise

thats the answer i was looking for, thanks. And also, as I said earlier, I never listen to it outragiously loud, never rings when i'm done or anything like that, just was curious.

Edit: while we're on the subject, anyone know if having the bass super boosted is worse than having the treble super boosted?? also, just curious
Quote by Strato-Massacre

Quote by Kensai
Last edited by Lt.DanHasLegs at Jan 6, 2009,
Quote by stompbox

yeah but he's asking the difference between perceived loudness and actual loudness.

he's asking if the pressure of the noise cancelling headphones at a lower level be equal to the normal earphones at a higher level. not just whether 2 things that are of equal volume will cause the same damage.

if you had two 100w amps (same speakers, design, mass etc) they could be at the same volume but if one's tube and one's SS the tube one may appear louder to the human brain but if you measured them with decibel meters you'd get the same result
Rhythm in Jump. Dancing Close to You.

Quote by element4433
Yeah. people, like Lemoninfluence, are hypocrites and should have all their opinions invalidated from here on out.
I don't know what all the fuss is about when it comes to hearing damage from headphones. I've been using all types of headphones, always at maximum volume and for at least 3 hours a day since I was about 11 and my hearing is still as good as it ever was (I'm now 24). I've experienced a bit of ringing or reduced hearing for a couple of minutes a few times (usually with Sony headphones for some reason) but I've never noticed any permanent damage
I've Made You A Drawing of a Giraffe Fucking an Elephant. Notice How His Moustache Looks Just Like Mine.

Your Mother's Got a Penis
Last edited by faultyy at Jan 6, 2009,
Quote by Century
get noise canceling headphones

noise canceling headphones only cleans out the junk around you so you can hear the music that you are jammnin on
Quote by faultyy
I don't know what all the fuss is about when it comes to hearing damage from headphones. I've been using all types of headphones, always at maximum volume and for at least 3 hours a day since I was about 11 and my hearing is still as good as it ever was (I'm now 24). I've experienced a bit of ringing or reduced hearing for a couple of minutes a few times (usually with Sony headphones for some reason) but I've never noticed any permanent damage

Have you done a hearing test and compared it to the average score for someone your age? We did it at school with some surprising results.