Page 1 of 3
Most of us in this section will know the candyrat guitarists very well, and admire then a lot.

I have decided to create this thread for a place for discussion of the songs and artists, including what songs people can play, what songs are good to learn, songs in different tunings and general tips and hints for playing their music.

I can play Drifting - Andy Mckee and soon will be learning Trilogie by Antoine Dufour as soon as my exams are over.

The main question I wanted to ask is that does anyone know anymore candyrat songs in Dsus4 tuning? (DADGAD), I feel its a waste tuning to this even if I play drifting for an hour straight and havnt managed to find other songs with this tuning.

And one more thing, my favourite song: Antoine Dufour - Scratch
So melodic yet such a strong sounding song...whatever I mean by that.
YellowGreenBlueRed

Quote by webbtje
You live in a ruler, the only child of trouser water (?); it's very fantastic, and salami!
I can play Antoine Dufour's version of Drac & friends as well as most of The First Ride by Don Ross(it needs a lot of work though). =)
Equipment:
- Art & Lutherie Cedar CW (SOLD! )
- Martin D-16RGT w/ LR Baggs M1 Active Soundhole Pickup
- Seagull 25th Anniversary Flame Maple w/ LR Baggs Micro EQ

Have an acoustic guitar? Don't let your guitar dry out! Click here.
I love the CandyRat guys, I really do. The thing that I like about them is that even though they often use extended techniques, their music isn't about showing off, it is about making music.

As for DADGAD stuff, I had the same question not to long ago when I learned Drifting. I didn't get any answers, and I just retuned back to standard and only went to dadgad for that one song, although playing celtic-sounding stuff is REALLY easy in DADGAD, everything seems happy and lively in it. I heard Eric Roche (who isn't CandyRat, but was an AMAZING artist, who I love and adore, even though I can't play a thing he composed) used DADGAD alot, you may want to look through some of his stuff.
I don't get how you guy's learn these songs! how long do you have to practice, how often do you listen to them, and how long have you been playing?

Try and learn "The wind and the wheat" or "Castle's call" by Phill Keaggy in STANDARD TUNING!
i know how to play catching the light, spiritual groove, song for stephen, reality, 30 minutes in london, the heart of the matter, mother and a hiding place for the moon (a little bit). i love antoine dufours songs, i play song for stephen every time i pick up the guitar, the end part is my favorite to play. i usually keep my guitar tuned to DADGCE because i dont know too many standard songs. after learning all those songs i have to say im much better at fingerstyle. but yeaah i dont know any andy mckee songs besides the beginning of ebon coast.
Quote by redking14ca
I don't get how you guy's learn these songs! how long do you have to practice, how often do you listen to them, and how long have you been playing?

Try and learn "The wind and the wheat" or "Castle's call" by Phill Keaggy in STANDARD TUNING!

Lol, I don't know alot of songs...and (with the exception of some blues songs in open G) Drifting is the only song that I can play in an alternate tuning. I haven't been playing very long, maybe a year now? The thing is that I don't even consider myself that good, but I learn a bunch of easy-ish songs right at my level to play, and then once a month (or a little longer) I will choose this song I am hell-bent on playing (Drifting was September's song, wasn't decent sounding until mid October though) and just play it over and over until i get it. Of course, that won't be all i practice, I also play stuff I enjoy that is easy and fun. But when you get some really hard song down you find that you are magically a better player just like that, and you feel really accomplished (and can impress your friends :P )

Basically: Be stubborn
Last edited by ReChord at Jan 6, 2009,
Quote by ReChord
Lol, I don't know alot of songs...and (with the exception of some blues songs in open G) Drifting is the only song that I can play in an alternate tuning. I haven't been playing very long, maybe a year now? The thing is that I don't even consider myself that good, but I learn a bunch of easy-ish songs right at my level to play, and then once a month (or a little longer) I will choose this song I am hell-bent on playing (Drifting was September's song, wasn't decent sounding until mid October though) and just play it over and over until i get it. Of course, that won't be all i practice, I also play stuff I enjoy that is easy and fun. But when you get some really hard song down you find that you are magically a better player just like that, and you feel really accomplished (and can impress your friends :P )

Basically: Be stubborn

Oh ok.. because i'm not interested in memorizing tablature so much as learning techniques and theories... Like I'm not that interested in learning an Antoine Dufour song, but rather, what method's he uses to compose them, and the theory and notes behind them..

but maybe i'm just dreaming...
This thread might as well be about antoine dufour. Everyone loves him. Quick! Someone get Silverstein14 in here, haha. He can play a lot of Dufour songs.

@ renegade - try to post a recording of trilogie when you're done. it's a pretty hard piece and i'd love to see your attempt at it.
Equipment:

Quote by redking14ca
Oh ok.. because i'm not interested in memorizing tablature so much as learning techniques and theories... Like I'm not that interested in learning an Antoine Dufour song, but rather, what method's he uses to compose them, and the theory and notes behind them..

you could take lessons from him and have a better understanding, but its $75 an hour.

"I'll be teaching parts of my songs, exercises, technique, tricks, extended techniques, open tunings, interpretation, textures and how to incorporate all that in an original composition and answer any question regarding my guitar playing or gear, etc. "
Ok, please don't be upset with me but... I just can't get into most of this kind of stuff. Wth some of these guys songs it seems like just where I;ll be starting to feel the groove, they throw in something that throws it off.

It's probably just personal taste I guess, maybe could someone put up some links of songs with like a consistent groove, instead of just an inundation of taps, thumps, and harmonic hits?
It's Only Rock and Roll, But I like It
Quote by redking14ca

Another theory man? Great! Nice to meet you, as I too love the musical science of theory. Anyway, I used to be like that, but then I realized that whenever I learned to play a song, it ingrained techniques in me, and my understanding of the song's theory was so much better than when i just learned the individual techniques and analyzed the song.

The Great Eric Roche once said "Don't practice in order to master a particular technique, but instead practice so that the technique allows you to hear what music sounds like."
Quote by captivate
This thread might as well be about antoine dufour. Everyone loves him. Quick! Someone get Silverstein14 in here, haha. He can play a lot of Dufour songs.

@ renegade - try to post a recording of trilogie when you're done. it's a pretty hard piece and i'd love to see your attempt at it.

Well it will definatley be a while till I'll start recording anything, as ReChord said I'm going to be very stubborn with this song and stick with it.

Has anyone else heard much of Andrew White? I don't think he gets nearly enough credit...
YellowGreenBlueRed

Quote by webbtje
You live in a ruler, the only child of trouser water (?); it's very fantastic, and salami!
Quote by renegade2031
Has anyone else heard much of Andrew White? I don't think he gets nearly enough credit...

Yeah! I was just telling my friend that he doesn't get enough credit...wierd :/ . Anyway, I like him, his songs are much more straightforward than alot of the other people on CandyRat, and most don't have many extended techniques, but the songs are always really good with a fine solid and often fun melody.

Another that I love is Stefano Barone. He is another lesser known and recognized CandyRat artist, but his songs are so good at getting their point across. If you don't know him then check him out. His songs are often a little more upbeat and fun than the Instrospective ones over at CR.

EDIT: Oh, and could never forget the funk of Erick Turnbull's "Bomba Checka" http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T90ELHF8rIM&feature=PlayList&p=447B977301B3AB7D&index=30
Last edited by ReChord at Jan 7, 2009,
A GREAT Dsus song would be Naissance by Antoine Dufour.

Much love to this piece.
Quote by Phystri
A GREAT Dsus song would be Naissance by Antoine Dufour.

Much love to this piece.

Wow, thank you very much! My friend plays violin, and we were trying to find a good instrumental that we could do together, and I found a duet with Antoine Dufour (himself) and Tommy Gauthier on violin! Beautiful song: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b8eacuydxOs&feature=related
Quote by captivate

This thread was made basically for me or something I swear. To threadstarter: Great idea. I've worshipped Antoine Dufour for a few years now, and have a lot of his songs under my belt. So far I can play Spiritual Groove, Drac and Friends pt 1, Mother, Ashes in the Sea, Toi et Moi, and Inspirations.

I have really adapted my fingerstyle style after watching him, as he really is the reason I started fingerpicking. I'm going to finish highschool hopefully with a few music scholarships and most likely pursue a career in music (either teaching or maybe even recording) and I really have Antoine to thank for that, because before I heard his music I played guitar like most other 13 year olds, but Antoine changed my life. I mean, how many 16 year olds do you see that spend countless hours researching and practicing techniques and can play fingerstyle that well, and dedicates their life to it really? Haha. (sorry if that sounded like bragging, I'm really not trying to)

Sorry for the life story, I just love Antoine Dufour.
Last edited by Silverstein14 at Jan 7, 2009,
I know what you mean. I didn't start playing the guitar until I heard Antoine. I can play about 13 of his tracks. Learned 3 of them by ear (Melancholi Du Changement, No name for Love, Toi et Moi)

Naissance is really the most challenging for me. I can NEEVVEERR play it perfectly. It's so hard

I guess I just have to keep practicing.
Wow that's incredible! How long have you been playing? I'd really like to hear what you've learned from him and compare some techniques and stuff about songs. I still have a long way to go in learning and many songs of his I want to learn too. I'm definitely going to shoot you a friend request on here!

Keenan
I'd say you have bragging rights

These are the true inspirations to guitarists, I can't watch one song without wanting to pick up my guitar and thats one of the reasons I admire them all so much.

I had the brilliant idea of leaving my guitar at my Dad's house for this week as I'm in the middle of exams with plently of coursework, oh how I regret that choice
YellowGreenBlueRed

Quote by webbtje
I started out playing the Classical guitar for a bit, still inspired by Antoine Dufour. Things didn't sound quite right since it wasn't a steel string. So I moved on to a steel string and played for many many hours every single day. My grades even went down because I couldn't stop playing.
I guess I learn fast because I also play the piano.

Into your Heart is my favorite of Antoine's to play. I highly recommend this one. It's also easy to learn by ear and it helps your rasgueado technique. I wish I could buy his tabs and album too, but I can't buy anything online.
I can play Nakagawa-San, For My Father, and Dreamcatcher by Andy McKee. I am currently finishing up Morrison County by Craig D'Andrea. I love that song!

I just bought one of Antoine's tab packs so I'm gonna learn one of his next.
Does anyone know of any CandyRat instrumental stuff that is in Standard tuning? I know Ebon Coast by McKee is in standard on a Baritone guitar, and it transposes easily, but are there any others? I don't like changing tunings, so I wanna get proficient with 2 or 3 of them at first, but there are plenty in DADGAD, but any of you guys know any in standard?
Quote by ReChord
Does anyone know of any CandyRat instrumental stuff that is in Standard tuning? I know Ebon Coast by McKee is in standard on a Baritone guitar, and it transposes easily, but are there any others? I don't like changing tunings, so I wanna get proficient with 2 or 3 of them at first, but there are plenty in DADGAD, but any of you guys know any in standard?

no name for love- antoine dufour
beautiful song.
Quote by slidething31
Ok, please don't be upset with me but... I just can't get into most of this kind of stuff. Wth some of these guys songs it seems like just where I;ll be starting to feel the groove, they throw in something that throws it off.

It's probably just personal taste I guess, maybe could someone put up some links of songs with like a consistent groove, instead of just an inundation of taps, thumps, and harmonic hits?

Haha, I definatly know what you mean. When I first started listening to them I didn't really find the music as good as much as I was just fascinated by the techniques they used. Overtime though, you start appreciating it.

"Drac and Friends"(which was written by Don Ross, and covered by Antoine DuFour) is a pretty consistent song with a good Groove and is fun (though I can't play it worth crap)

Someone you will wanna check out is Eric Roche, his stuff is more verse-chorus-verse-y. Not all of it mind you, but alot of it more so than some of the CandyRat people. He is famous for doing covers of well known songs in that style, such as "Jump" by Van Halen, and "Smells Like Teen Spirit" by Nirvana as well as many others.

Again, my early fascination with these guys was mainly technique oriented, not their compositional skills, even though I recognize their composing skills more and more now that I am in AP Music theory. My compositions would just be different than alot of their stuff, even if they would be influenced by them.

When I am playing like that with my own compositions, you can bet I will have some funky grooving music that will make everyone go "holy ****, good song" right off the bat....but that is obviously a long way away.

SUMMARY: Eric Roche's stuff and covers. Watch "Drac and Friends" on youtube. And you aren't weird for thinking that their compositions are odd.
Last edited by ReChord at Jan 10, 2009,
Quote by Silverstein14
This thread was made basically for me or something I swear. To threadstarter: Great idea. I've worshipped Antoine Dufour for a few years now, and have a lot of his songs under my belt. So far I can play Spiritual Groove, Drac and Friends pt 1, Mother, Ashes in the Sea, Toi et Moi, and Inspirations.

I have really adapted my fingerstyle style after watching him, as he really is the reason I started fingerpicking. I'm going to finish highschool hopefully with a few music scholarships and most likely pursue a career in music (either teaching or maybe even recording) and I really have Antoine to thank for that, because before I heard his music I played guitar like most other 13 year olds, but Antoine changed my life. I mean, how many 16 year olds do you see that spend countless hours researching and practicing techniques and can play fingerstyle that well, and dedicates their life to it really? Haha. (sorry if that sounded like bragging, I'm really not trying to)

Sorry for the life story, I just love Antoine Dufour.

where do you live, i wanna move in with you, bro.
Quote by SDmelody
so is anybody going to see him preform anytime soon?

Who, Dufour? I wasn't thinking of it, but I just checked his schedule and he is playing somewhere in Florida (specifics to be announced) so I may go see him depending on location and price. I had looked at his schedule before and I had never seen any Florida dates on there, and I have school and stuff so I can't go out of state for a concert just because he is amazing, unfortunately.

So yeah, once the March 19th concert's place and price is announced I will get back to you on that.
Andy Mckee is touring the UK but seems like its only in the south...
Has anyone seen them live before?

And I just finished learning Spiritual Groove
Now its on to Dracula and friends, the same tuning and looks fun to play.
YellowGreenBlueRed

Quote by webbtje
Quote by ReChord

SUMMARY: Eric Roche's stuff and covers. Watch "Drac and Friends" on youtube. And you aren't weird for thinking that their compositions are odd.

Thank you. I just listened to Drac and I that is exaclty what I was looking for. Interesting song, but with a great groove.

Thanks again.
If anyone would like, I could post 2 vids of myself playing "Mother" and "Toi et Moi" on here, although they are pretty bad audio quality (Used my laptop built in mic to record). I'm trying to get a better quality vid, but if anyone is interested I will throw them on here.
Quote by renegade2031
Andy Mckee is touring the UK but seems like its only in the south...
Has anyone seen them live before?

And I just finished learning Spiritual Groove
Now its on to Dracula and friends, the same tuning and looks fun to play.

I saw Andy and Don Ross live together in Toronto back in August. Wonderful performance. Don actually has QUITE the singing voice.
Equipment:

I think most of Trace Bundy's songs are in DADGAD.... Dueling Ninjas is a pretty fun song...
http://soundcloud.com/dawwwstin
Quote by Sever_the_Skull
stfu spaghetti asshole

Quote by itachi-sasori
thats like... a really broad range... how can you like dragonforce AND beethoven Dx
Quote by Silverstein14
If anyone would like, I could post 2 vids of myself playing "Mother" and "Toi et Moi" on here, although they are pretty bad audio quality (Used my laptop built in mic to record). I'm trying to get a better quality vid, but if anyone is interested I will throw them on here.

Go for it!
Quote by slorggetti
I think most of Trace Bundy's songs are in DADGAD.... Dueling Ninjas is a pretty fun song...

I saw him live last year. Incredible live performance! He really is a great performer and really includes the crowd. He did an acoustic version of Eminems "Lose yourself" and the Backstreet Boys. Was hilarious.

Alright here are the vids. The audio quality makes me cringe If you can look past it, please rate and comment! I promise I will get better quality vids soon!

Toi et Moi

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PRsA9QnpsYI

Mother

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hM2cAwA_7gw&feature=channel_page

Keenan
I've been listening to some of Nicholas Barron's stuff, and while he doesn't show off the same guitar gymnastics as some of the others, his singing is great.

The man has soul.
Quote by slidething31
I've been listening to some of Nicholas Barron's stuff, and while he doesn't show off the same guitar gymnastics as some of the others, his singing is great.

The man has soul.

Yeah, candyrat has alot of great artists that often aren't as recognized by this community as the ones that do solo guitar only. Another one to look at is Brooke Miller, who has a really nice voice...personally my favorite song of hers is "Two Soldiers."

EDIT: not that is really matters, but just for random information's sake: Brooke Miller is (quite recently) married to Don Ross.
Last edited by ReChord at Jan 15, 2009,
Quote by slidething31

The man has soul.

I highly recommend his "As i am" album, every track makes you sit back and think
Quote by Skwisgar
The trip would reach its climax when you came across a character filling a pool via fapping and attempting to drown innocent people in it

Quote by Diet_coke_head
I ran up and started screaming rape because I knew she would never cheat on me.
Page 1 of 3