Page 1 of 4
Has anyone else noticed that if you try to recommend music to someone that is not a certain genre they automatically reject it without listening? I've noticed it a few times here... but for the most part it'll happen in an elevator or something, and someone will be bobbin there head to the music. I'll go if you like this you should listen to [insert artist[ and they'll be like is he [insert genre] too? and the second I say no they just phase out.
Why I Love Spanish Women

I'm hoping by "crack" you mean cleavage unless you have some kind of bizarre ass-chest.

Quote by Kensai
Dude, relax. Don't be so rape about things.
....are you high.....?
Tonight, we stagger out from the basement...

I'm sick of not having the courage to be an absolute nobody.

...Or fall to our deaths from above
Yeah. It's just something you have to ignore after a while. Unless they then try to do it back to you and get mad when you say no.
XIAOXI
Quote by taraholic
Has anyone else noticed that if you try to recommend music to someone that is not a certain genre they automatically reject it without listening? I've noticed it a few times here... but for the most part it'll happen in an elevator or something, and someone will be bobbin there head to the music. I'll go if you like this you should listen to [insert artist[ and they'll be like is he [insert genre] too? and the second I say no they just phase out.

I refuse to listen to pop-punk/country/most rap (Immortal Technique is pretty decent).
Quote by Mudmen190
If loving ham makes me gay, I'm Rob Halford.

Quote by musiclover2399
MyNameIsLame just nailed it (actually both his statements did some nailing).

Quote by Oroborous
This is honestly the best first post I've ever seen

^^ Directed at me. E-peen wankery sigs ftw.

My Last.FM
why would you recommend an artist of a completely different genre to the one the person's listening to?

seems to me like you're trying to force the bands you like on them.
Rhythm in Jump. Dancing Close to You.

Quote by element4433
Yeah. people, like Lemoninfluence, are hypocrites and should have all their opinions invalidated from here on out.
its worse when you name a band, and the person comes back with the most obscure band possible, and then they act like theyre better than you for knowing some crappy obscure band.
I have no opinion on this matter.
Quote by taraholic

Why would you interrupt someone listening to music in an elevator just to recommend a band you like? (Assuming you do, since recommending a band you don't like can be considered redundant since you rarely hear music you don't like and so can't judge it all too accurately...)

If anything that makes you the elitist, getting kicks out of recommending bands you think someone hasn't heard of thus making you super-cool

And of course people expect recommendations to be of a similar genre
If I was eating chocolate cake and someone said 'Have you tried lobster?' I'd probably punch them in the mouth for making such a stupid illogical leap

EDIT
Oh, have you tried www.sickipedia.org by the way?
I've noticed that, especially when it comes to kids who listen to a lot of indie...if it doesn't revolve around some British guy with a mediocre voice and an acoustic guitar, they won't touch it...
I am proud to be a music elitist.

Music that I listen to is good and everyone else's suck.

Thats all there is to it BITCH!
Does being successful truly make you a sell out? Can't you do your own original music and be successful because of it?
Not sure exactly what you mean, but I think musical elitism is bad, it kills genres, look at Jaz and classical. Also I think you can learn something from everything, thouhg I don't like a liot of the modern stuff eg. fall out boy, rhiannon etc, there are still things that can be learnt from them, if nothing else what not to dO.

I was once told that musicians like everyone else are bron with two ears and one mouth, and should use them in that proportion, and I think that applies to elitists too, give the music a chance and listen to it before judging!
God I wish Teegman was here...

By the way, my taste>yours. Ask anyone.
Quote by vintage x metal
I love you =] I can't say I was very fond of you when we first started talking because you trolled the hell out of my threads, but after talking to you here I've grown very attached to you.

Yeah, write to my fanclub about it, honey.
Quote by Jack Off Jill
God I wish Teegman was here...

By the way, my taste>yours. Ask anyone.

it's true

also...

https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?t=886905

I know it's locked but read it anyway.

Quote by Oblong6
My tastes > Jack Off Jill's.

my banhammer says otherwise...

Quote by element4433
Yeah. people, like Lemoninfluence, are hypocrites and should have all their opinions invalidated from here on out.
Quote by Oblong6
My tastes > Jack Off Jill's.

I have scientific evidence which disagrees with you. But only people with taste as good as mine would be able to understand, therefore it's impossible for me to prove it to you.

*sticks his nose in the air.*

Teegman's threads never should have been locked, he always had a great point.
Quote by vintage x metal
I love you =] I can't say I was very fond of you when we first started talking because you trolled the hell out of my threads, but after talking to you here I've grown very attached to you.

Quote by Oblong6
. . . Bring it on.

*ahem*

nothing to see here people.

Quote by element4433
Quote by Oblong6
. . . Bring it on.

We've found a moron ladies and gentlemen
Every post I've seen of this guy (totalling 4 I believe) has been utterly moronic
And he's not cum blood once...
Everyone knows what they like but its nice to stay open to new Artists at not dismiss them based on Genre until you have listened to them and confirmed that they suck. I also think people who enjoy the same types of music are more compatable in many other ways as well.
Quote by Lemoninfluence
*ahem*

You know... I think my greatest achievement in life is knowing that a user was banned for saying his taste was better than mine.

Thank you, sir.
Quote by Tempoe
Everyone knows what they like but its nice to stay open to new Artists at not dismiss them based on Genre until you have listened to them and confirmed that they suck. I also think people who enjoy the same types of music are more compatable in many other ways as well.

I've learned that girls who like my taste in music tend to not exist. Therefore, I settle for anyone who loves School House Rock and Sesame Street songs.
Quote by vintage x metal

Quote by Jack Off Jill
You know... I think my greatest achievement in life is knowing that a user was banned for saying his taste was better than mine.

Thank you, sir.

What about the heroin hijacking days man?
You've betrayed me.

And on topic
Deathspell Omega ist krieg
Quote by tushmeister
What about the heroin hijacking days man?
You've betrayed me.

And on topic
Deathspell Omega ist krieg

You're thinking of Aqua, holmes. I hijacked other threads. Mainly with Kankuro and Minkaro. Though, LemonInfluence did hijack a thread with me once, we staged a soap opera.
Quote by vintage x metal

Quote by imdeth
I really don't care. Now excuse me while I listen to Led Zeppelin and look down on you fools.

i agree with this users opinion.
Quote by Jack Off Jill
You're thinking of Aqua, holmes. I hijacked other threads. Mainly with Kankuro and Minkaro. Though, LemonInfluence did hijack a thread with me once, we staged a soap opera.

We three worked together
I was sure of it!
Damn my memory
Damn it to hell
meh he's unbanned now.

I'm going offline in a bit and I'd only forget about him and not unban him.

Quote by element4433
Quote by tushmeister
We three worked together
I was sure of it!
Damn my memory
Damn it to hell

I was invited, but didn't really partake. Well, except one time when you guys did it to one of my threads. I joined in then.

On topic, my cousin's girlfriend is no longer at my house because she called Frank Zappa elevator music.
Quote by vintage x metal

Quote by tushmeister
If anything that makes you the elitist, getting kicks out of recommending bands you think someone hasn't heard of thus making you super-cool
exactly. most of the time the person recommending **** just wants to name-drop and show off, although i like to think it's possible to be a selfless geek about music, which could easily be mistaken for elitist.

i used to love making mixes for people.. at some point i grew out of that, probably because i realized that the people receiving them usually don't appreciate it nearly as much as i enjoyed making it. at some point you realize that not everyone (in fact most people) can be "enlightened" to your great taste in music. your taste is your own, and anyone who totally gets into everything you throw at them is probably just looking to copy your identity so watch out for that. my best friend for many years and i have listened to many of the same bands and genres, and we truly just enjoy finding new stuff all the time, but we still have some major disagreements on bands and that's how it should be to stay unique.

i think i've gone slightly off topic, but hopefully someone knows what i mean here.
Originally posted by Geetarbumb
I think your screwed ! You should quit guitar and take up the skin flute!
Quote by Jack Off Jill
I was invited, but didn't really partake. Well, except one time when you guys did it to one of my threads. I joined in then.

On topic, my cousin's girlfriend is no longer at my house because she called Frank Zappa elevator music.

So I'm not quite insane...

And kill her!
Killl herrrrrrrr
Frank Zappa ist...second krieg?
Yeah
Second krieg!
Musical elitism makes me want to kick a puppy. Alright well not really. But to say a certain group is untalented simply because of the type of music they play is unfair and utterly retarded. Keeping an open mind is what helps you expand as an artist.
“I want every girl in the world to pick up a guitar and start screaming”

I will prove you wrong.
it happened to be today.
my friends were badmouthing black lable society and zakk wylde because of his name?
he is such a good muscian and they think he sucks. it really pisssed me off. and i can explane it but you just made me mad again
Quote by tushmeister
So I'm not quite insane...

And kill her!
Killl herrrrrrrr
Frank Zappa ist...second krieg?
Yeah
Second krieg!

I think Tom Waits is second krieg, but whatev. They can tie.

Anyway, I don't exactly equate name dropping with elitism. Elitism is when you acknowledge that you have better taste than someone else. I share music all the time, I hand out cds at random just because I think someone will like it, that being the point of music. Name dropping is sharing as far as I'm concerned, so long as you have actual intentions of introducing someone to said artists.
Quote by bubblesgogo
Musical elitism makes me want to kick a puppy. Alright well not really. But to say a certain group is untalented simply because of the type of music they play is unfair and utterly retarded. Keeping an open mind is what helps you expand as an artist.

Horse radish, there's no point in having an open mind if you aren't going to close it every once in awhile. Otherwise, you might as well just like everything and walk around like a moron, drooling all over the place and exclaiming how much you love this little off tune ditty this four year old boy down the street was humming that was directly stolen from Gumby.
Quote by vintage x metal

Last edited by Jack Off Jill at Jan 6, 2009,
Quote by Lemoninfluence
*ahem*

I couldn;t breathe for a second there.
Quote by tushmeister
We've found a moron ladies and gentlemen
Every post I've seen of this guy (totalling 4 I believe) has been utterly moronic
And he's not cum blood once...

Well, this is the only post I've seen of yours so far. And I have to say that is absolutely stupid.

My opnion > Your opinion.
Quote by Jack Off Jill

Thank you, sir.

I'm not done with you, and this post probably won't make sense to you . . . but it will for me.

Are you joking? I like more Beethoven symphonies than Mozart, yet I don't even mention his sonatas. You sir, are a buffon, and clearly know absolutely nothing about music that I prefer know is better than what you call "music."
Quote by Jack Off Jill
I think Tom Waits is second krieg, but whatev. They can tie.

Anyway, I don't exactly equate name dropping with elitism. Elitism is when you acknowledge that you have better taste than someone else. I share music all the time, I hand out cds at random just because I think someone will like it, that being the point of music. Name dropping is sharing as far as I'm concerned, so long as you have actual intentions of introducing someone to said artists.

Horse radish, there's no point in having an open mind if you aren't going to close it every once in awhile. Otherwise, you might as well just like everything and walk around like a moron, drooling all over the place and exclaiming how much you love this little off tune ditty this four year old boy down the street was humming that was directly stolen from Gumby.

I know far too many people who name-drop to show their superb taste off, they'd never namedrop a band someone may've heard of
It backfires around me because I tend to listen to obscure stuff as well as mainstream stuff, but this one guy CONSTANTLY namedrops stuff he thinks I won't know, to try and prove his taste is more vast than mine, but I don't even compete, I like music for the music, it just so happens I like a lot of it

Quote by Oblong6

Well, this is the only post I've seen of yours so far. And I have to say that is absolutely stupid.

My opnion > Your opinion.

Your opnion may be
Your grammar and opinion aren't.
Last edited by tushmeister at Jan 6, 2009,

I'll just leave this here as a reminder shall I?

Quote by element4433
Quote by tushmeister
I know far too many people who name-drop to show their superb taste off, they'd never namedrop a band someone may've heard of
It backfires around me because I tend to listen to obscure stuff as well as mainstream stuff, but this one guy CONSTANTLY namedrops stuff he thinks I won't know, to try and prove his taste is more vast than mine, but I don't even compete, I like music for the music, it just so happens I like a lot of it

Your opnion may be
Your grammar and opinion aren't.

I don't see any point in suggesting something they've probably heard of. There are a few exceptions to that, like I will always insist people listen to Smashing Pumpkins and Outkast.. but for the most part, when someone suggests music to me, I prefer that it be something I'd have a hard time finding on my own. I'd much rather someone suggest some obscure Krautrock band than be told I should give Nirvana a listen. See what I mean?
Quote by vintage x metal

Page 1 of 4