I think I've seen almost every well known guitarist mentioned on this forum so far, each one being bashed in some way. This only proves that preference in guitarists is subjective and the only thing anyone has proved is that they do not like someone. Give a reason why they are overrated (and not because there sloppy), i want a specific example.

News flash to everyone bashing guitarists: Each and everyone of them has made a living playing the guitar, something that all of you can only dream of doing. If someone is critical of me for making that statement, and comes back by saying, " I am living that dream", then please let me know who you are and who you play for. And if you are that popular, why are you on an internet form making fun of others. These famous guitarists all have a mutual respect for one another because they all do the same thing. And all of these guitarists that you make fun of and complain about, are all making way more money than you playing the guitar, so they must be doing something right.

I understand that everyone has their own taste in music, but there is no need to bash other guitarists because they don't exactly play your style.

Herman Li and Synyster Gates are two of the most critisized guitarists I see in these forums. Herman Li (guitarist for Dragonforce) is always called out on playing fast in the studio, but can not do it in real life. Well no s*** he can not be perfect in real life, he plays so fast, it would be un-human to not make a mistake. The truth is, before he could play in the studio, he had to be recognized somewhere for being good (Frankly because Dragonforce is known for their guitar, not vocals), therefore he must be pretty damn good at guitar to get a record deal, ever to make it to the studio.

Not all guitarist are equal, but there can never be a decided upon best among all of them because everyone has a difference of opinion. You can choose to have your favorite, but recognize them all for being good or great, and quit bashing them because they are better than you.

If anyone has a strong enough argument refuting this, please, by all means post a reply...
How about his... everyone is allowed to their own opinion.

So what if I want to say David Gilmour sucks, or that Herman Li is the greatest guitarist ever? It's MY opinion. There's no need to get mad about it, because in reality, there is almost no way to objectively compare musicians. There are only personal opinions.

If your opinion is that all pro guitarists are good and deserve credit, then great. Maybe I just want to stick to my views.
Signature? What's a signature?

Quote by WlCmToTheJungle
the house burnt down
pics coming soon!
<.<
>,>

Quote by metalscott76
No!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Best theory lesson EVER!
how come nobody mentions sam totman? hes good too -.-

and i think most people just find a way to make fun of popular guitarists so they seem cool or something
Quote by firebreath07
How about his... everyone is allowed to their own opinion.

So what if I want to say David Gilmour sucks, or that Herman Li is the greatest guitarist ever? It's MY opinion. There's no need to get mad about it, because in reality, there is almost no way to objectively compare musicians. There are only personal opinions.

If your opinion is that all pro guitarists are good and deserve credit, then great. Maybe I just want to stick to my views.

you dont really think gilmour sucks do u that would be a 1st and i will cry
Want something that looks like spam but is actually legit?! Well I have the thing for you. Nah dude, I actually get legit MS points from this and do like 2 surveys and you can get about 400.

http://www.points2shop.com/?ref=EmoSlayer
shut the hell up, no one cares.

People do that for many reasons including the fact that they DON'T like the music, maybe because they prefer someone else, maybe in their mind they are better, plus half the reason people go on the internet and forums is to bitch and vent their real life frustrations so they don't end up doing something stupid.

/DUH!
Quote by abe123
thats one of the funniest posts ive seen in a while... to sig or not to sig

Quote by Kenny77
Awesome.

Quote by Kensai
Probably from india. Most bad things come from there.
If you're a professional musician, in my opinion you should know and have developed your style fully enough to play it just as well in the studio as in a live performance.
Quote by Emo-Slayer
you dont really think gilmour sucks do u that would be a 1st and i will cry

I was just kidding... I don't hate any guitarist in general.

Although I'll admit I'm a HUGE fan of Gilmour and Pink Floyd... I have every Pink Floyd studio album in CD, LP, and MP3 along with most of the individual members' solo works.
Signature? What's a signature?

Quote by WlCmToTheJungle
the house burnt down
pics coming soon!
<.<
>,>

Quote by metalscott76
No!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Best theory lesson EVER!
see, then comes teh fallout boy comments, "if all are equal look at fallout boy..." and then the fail sets in. oh and if anybody defends FOB, i will personally torch you so bad that whenever you post again for the rest of your life, people will say, GET A FIRE EXTINGUISHER, ITS THE GUY ENSELMIS BARBECUED!!
yes, everyone is allowed to their own opinion. But it isn't fair to make fun of other guitarist, because what did they do to you?

In the case above, you cant say someone sucks, because they are probably better than you. Basically your saying that you suck. Now compared to other guitarist, one may not be as good as another, but he/she is still good.

Example. In my opinion, Herman Li may not be as good as Steve Vai, however Li is still good.

Overall, it is not fair to professional guitarist who put their heart and soul into music, only to be critisized for it.
It all depends on what exactly you're talking about when you say a guitarist is good. If you base it solely on being a success in the music industry, then of course we shouldn't be bashing them. But there is a difference between people that are successful and people who are actually good guitarists...

You mentioned Gates and Li in your post, both of whom are good musicians from a marketable standpoint. (Look at GH3 for examples... ) But when it comes to their true talent with a guitar, it's very debatable as to how good they are. I won't smash either guy, but when you compare them to say, Petrucci of Dream Theater (who are not given the recognition they deserve, not being as marketable) he blows them out of the water.

I think that people begin bashing those guitarists when people get hyped up into a fanboy mentality. If someone were to focus in and say that Li is the best guitarist to ever live (as do so many kids because of things like GH) then of course I will correct them by bashing his position, in this case, another guitarist.

So are you trying to protect them when they're being compared to those that are better, or are you just tired of people hating on those that are better than them, because from your post, it's a mixture of both.
I do agree, I am not a fan of Fall Out Boy... And in my opinion, they are not as good as many other bands. However they are still making millions playing music because many others do like them...
they are appealing to those who do not play guitar, this, just so hapens to be a website entirely dedicated to guitar, so therefore, anybody who actually has an understanding OR appreciation of our trade is obliged to educate themselves enough to understand that...

FOB=fail
I am tired of others hating on guitarist that are better than they are. For someone to make statements such as, "Herman Li sucks because he cant really play good", well that is very ignorant because he is good.

I also agree that there are different way to argue the rankings of guitarist in skill. Various rankings can include: ability to play fast (Herman Li, Buckethead) or ability to create own powerful music (Steve Vai)

However, it is only my opinion that steve vai writes powerful music that I love. Others may not, and thats ok, (he to his own), however you should understand the main point im making.
Quote by OnMyPhone
i love this post, Great Job Ibanezguy22!! =]

way to troll.
Rip Kylee Harris 4.13.93-11.28.08
Quote by Capt_Clarkson
tell him that he is the drummer and that his opinions are invalid

Quote by Jim Harkins
I want to die peacefully in my sleep like my grandfather. Not screaming in terror like his passengers.

"Herman Li sucks because he cant really play good", well that is very ignorant because he is good.

That's your opinion. Tone it down a bit. I'm not ignorant because I don't like his stuff.

There. I caught you in your own little game.
honestly i think this thread fails because everyone is entitled to their own opinion. You cant change that. People are going to continue thinking the way they think regardless of what you do unless they make the decision themselves to change their mind and views.
I think everyone should stop being ding dongs and not care what other people think of things.

If it's Dragonforce you like, great. If it's Fall Out Boy, great.

Look at the big picture. No matter what band it is, they all do one thing... play MUSIC. You can call it metal, classical, or whatever, but all really it is, is invisible sound waves. Nothing to get hugely worked up about...
Herman Li does, in fact, suck.

The fact that millions of non-musically inclined people buy his records doesn't mean anything to me. It's my opinion. And, really, who cares if they make money playing the guitar? That's not my aspiration. I don't care. I bet many wish they would've gotten an education before anything because they're mostly dumb as bricks.
LOL
Synyster Gates should never be mentioned in the same sentence as Herman Li.

Gates plays with feel and emotion, instead of emotionlessly shredding.
Quote by enselmis
they are appealing to those who do not play guitar, this, just so hapens to be a website entirely dedicated to guitar, so therefore, anybody who actually has an understanding OR appreciation of our trade is obliged to educate themselves enough to understand that...

FOB=fail

^^^

/thread