Can you guys help me with some suggestion of good playable guitars?
For example, most of Ibanez has Wizard necks which is easy for the hands (I've never tried Ibanez myself). I love my Gibson LP but the neck is very fat and chunky and I would like to own a guitar that is very easily playable.

Preferably ones with thin neck (doesn't have to be as thin as Wizards) and low action. And if possible, ones with curved neck for easier upper fret reach.

Thanks for your input!
Last edited by ovvyiljs at Jan 6, 2009,
I own a Jackson KVX10 and the action is super low and the neck is pretty thin, the only problem with playability is trying to play it while sitting down.
the ibanez necks are fugly dude, aboslutely awesome. i have an S and it just pwns all, the jacksons are pretty nice, if u want playability, DO NOT go schecter or BC rich. for best results tohugh, just go and try some stuffs, always fun and worth it.
Playability is completely up to preference. Also action can be set low on any guitar with a good setup and I don't get what you mean abou a curved neck for easier upper fret access. If you're talking about fretboard radius, flatter is usually preferred farther up the neck so you don't fret out.

And if you've never played an Ibanez how do you even know you'll like necks that thin?
Quote by sirbalmung1983
I own a Jackson KVX10 and the action is super low and the neck is pretty thin, the only problem with playability is trying to play it while sitting down.

Classical position, one horn goes under the leg
sgs have great necks ...kinda like an LP neck on a diet (thinner),
strats have very thin necks too,
epi/gibson flying V s have nice necks too

and yea for the horn under the leg for a Jackson RR
Last edited by SGRocker400 at Jan 6, 2009,
fat necks can be more comfortable to play than thin necks. It just depends on the player.

try some out.
Rhythm in Jump. Dancing Close to You.

Quote by element4433
Yeah. people, like Lemoninfluence, are hypocrites and should have all their opinions invalidated from here on out.
Quote by darth awsome
Parker guitars have wonderfully thin, smooth necks with incredible action.

most of the ones I've looked at have had their neck classed as thick or medium.

I don't think I've seen a thin necked one.

or at least not one they've labelled as thin.

maybe they just have a thin standard
Rhythm in Jump. Dancing Close to You.

Quote by element4433
Yeah. people, like Lemoninfluence, are hypocrites and should have all their opinions invalidated from here on out.
Go to guitar center and try out every single guitar. Why not? thats what i do over and over again. I actually like change. I like to sometimes play fat beefy necks like les pauls, but I also like to play thin necks like ibanez. Depends on what kinda mood im in. I find that when I keep switching around once in a while, my creativity never fades. You can listen to what people say if thier talking about the sound of a guitar. but not the feel. Thats all preference. For example, enselmis says schecters feel like crap. But I think they feel great. Its all preference my dude.
Quote by enselmis
tif u want playability, DO NOT go schecter or BC rich.

My Schecter has a big neck, and although the frets are big (works well for big hands?) the action is super low. It plays awesome once you get used to it.

That being said, I've also messed around with an Ibanez Xiphos (Wizard II neck) and the neck on that plays amazingly.

It's all up to the user preference.
gear

Epiphone SG-400
Agile AL-3100
Schecter Damien-7 (EMG 707 swap)
Peavey JSX Head
Peavey 412 Cab
Boss GT-10
Yamaha FG720S Acoustic
It's all preference. Whoever said do not go Schecter or BC Rich is an idiot, probably an idiot with small hands.

Ibanez necks are smaller and easier to use if you have small hands. I prefer the neck on my Schecter Syn Custom and my Epi Explorer... they're bigger necks than most, but they're most comfortable for me because I have big hands. It all comes down to what feels most comfortable to the player.
I was surprised at the negative schecter comment too. I have very small hands and LOVED my les paul for years and years...then I got this cheap ass schecter diamond series guitar...that plays like budda...
Sorry I should have been more specific. I have fairly small hand, not that they're incredibly small but I find that my PRS SE guitar is much easier to play than my LP Studio. Therefore I think thin neck guitars would be suited for me.

Some of the things that I liked about the PRS guitar more than the LP:
I liked the lightweight (not SUPER light) on the PRS, the LP as incredible tone and sustain but the weight kills by back when playing stood up and my legs when playing on a chair.
Also, I liked guitar with curved body/arm, I find that after playing LP for like an hour it killed my stomach.

What I meant by curved neck is something like this:

As opposed to something like this:

Pretty sure it only comes on high end Ibanez guitars like JEM so it's not particularly needed.

Also, how are Fender Strat/Teles playability for small hands?

Of course I will try all of these guitar out at a store (2 hours away) from my house when the time comes but I'm trying to narrow down the list of guitars I will try out.

Thanks for all the inputs!
Quote by Lemoninfluence
fat necks can be more comfortable to play than thin necks. It just depends on the player.

try some out.

I always figured a fat one would be awkward for fast soloing.
Quote by Lemoninfluence
if a neo nazi compares you to hitler I'd say it's meant to be a good thing, if a jew does the same thing, it's likely that they aren't particularly fond of you.
Quote by ovvyiljs
snip

Oh okay, now I see what you're saying. In that case Ibanez does sound like it would be a good fit. As for the neck thing, most every modern Ibanez comes with the All Access Neck Joint (AANJ) so you don't have to worry about that.

What's your budget, playing style, and are there any particulatr features you're after like numer of frets, body wood, pickup configuration?, etc?

And Fender necks are usually fine for small hands. Thery aren't as thin as Ibanez necks, but they're also not as wide which makes it easier to hold imho.
Last edited by T!AN at Jan 6, 2009,
My budget is anywhere around $750-$1300.
I'm looking for a guitar with Mahogany body wood, but Alder or Bass is also considerable. And preferably H-H pickup configuration with 22-24 frets.
Also if possible, I would like a body through string or something that is easy for alternate tunings (Avoid floating tremolos).

Oh I might add, I'm mostly into Rocks, any rock you name it - Classical, Modern, Progressive. So I'm looking for that beefy gritty tone of Les Paul

Ibanez RGA321F Electric Guitar
http://www.axemusic.com/product.asp?numRecordPosition=17&P_ID=8358&PT_ID=all

Would be my dream choice but it's way over my budget .

Thanks
roakey1 

you have a range to go in for a decent les paul junior though. again simily to themelody maker - very nice frets and balance and lighter than your average les paul - pick ups unbrlivably good for he prices. i just ove em both - more than expensive les pauls.
ok read the rest of your message  you must have smallish hands. 

but then the LP's i talk of may have thinner necks(not sure)

but i suppose if you want a quick thin neck - yu are right at looking at metal guitars. ibanez(good range) are slick as fck.
roakey1 I think after almost 10 years he would've made his decision by now.
Quote by Axelfox
Reeeeeeeeeeeeeeee

Quote by H4T3BR33D3R
I also have to do that. Cottaging this weekend