Page 1 of 5
I've heard and seen a lot of hate towards the Line 6 Spider III series of amps, while they may not compare to a 5150 (probably because the 5150 is about 5x more expensive) it is the best selling amp in the world and does have some nice features and it is the biggest stocked item at most music stores i've been to. Why does everyone hate it so much?

NOTE: Answers such as: It sucks, its not a tube, its gay, or anything of the like is clearly coming from someone with no experience with the amp or is just a tube-freak/solid state-hater.

EDIT: i guess i need to clarify this, im not looking for a review or pro-ing the amp, im just taking opinions

GUITARS CURRENTLY USED
Ibanez RG7621
Ibanez RG121
ESP LTD H-400
Last edited by SPBY at Jan 6, 2009,
Quote by SPBY
I've heard and seen a lot of hate towards the Line 6 Spider III series of amps, while they may not compare to a 5150 (probably because the 5150 is about 5x more expensive) it is the best selling amp in the world and does have some nice features and it is the biggest stocked item at most music stores i've been to. Why does everyone hate it so much?

NOTE: Answers such as: It sucks, its not a tube, its gay, or anything of the like is clearly coming from someone with no experience with the amp or is just a tube-freak/solid state-hater.

They just don't sound good. Why else would someone not like an amp? They sound very digital and sterile. I have no idea why they are the biggest stocked item. I suppose because they are popular with people who see all the features and don't pay attention to the sound.
They literally just sound like a can of bees to anyone who has a trained ear. People buy them because they are cheap, they dont know the difference between a good and bad amp, and they have lots of features.
Gibson Les Paul Custom
Fender American Tele

F/S:
Orange Rockerverb 50
Orange PPC412
I tried it out and just something about it i didnt like. Could be because all the digital effects, kinda complicated for me. But im sure for some people its good. Depends where your at musically.
The tone is weak.

No sustain, the cleans aren't warm or full, and the OD tones are harsh.

I've played one before by the way, I'm not just a hater.

But honestly, for a noob they aren't bad.
Quote by mcrfobtai
They just don't sound good. Why else would someone not like an amp? They sound very digital and sterile. I have no idea why they are the biggest stocked item. I suppose because they are popular with people who see all the features and don't pay attention to the sound.

Buddy, im not pro-ing the amp, i'm just asking people's opinions

GUITARS CURRENTLY USED
Ibanez RG7621
Ibanez RG121
ESP LTD H-400
They sound like a ringtone recorded from a cell phone.
I'm not a Bible-thumper anymore. Realized I had a brain in '09.

I like guitars, running, and math.
Quote by 311ZOSOVHJH
Search Bar is a great resource for this kind of research. Mainly because the question gets asked almost every day if not every other day.

Im taking peoples opinions, not a review

GUITARS CURRENTLY USED
Ibanez RG7621
Ibanez RG121
ESP LTD H-400
They are also not a good value compared to amps that are actually good in the same price range. Furthermore, the large sized ones are stupid. Spiders should be used as small practice amps that have some cool features. The half stacks and 120 watt ones are overkill and make me mad that people are dumb/ignorant enough to waste their/parents money on a piece of poo.

/rant
They sell well because people at GC tell the newbies that they're awesome and have a ton of features. Being able to play any genre is appealing to new players so they sell well, they're also cheap especially compared to some of the other amps in the store. Just because something is popular doesn't mean it's good, case and point: Hanna Montana and The Jonas Brothers.

Now, Spiders make decent practice amps and most people on here (the non-bandwagon people) agree that they're ok as long as it's just the 15 or 30 watt version. However, once people start buying the gigantic stacks is where people have problems because you can do MUCH better for your money than those pieces of crap. They sound digital, their distortion is fizzy and they're not very good for mid gain.
Quote by Vincent Vega
Haikus are awesome
but sometimes they don't make sense
Refrigerator

Quote by KissingShadows
People always tell me I solo like Zakk Wylde. Thats how I know that I suck.
I'm not speaking for everyone, but every one of my friends who has tried using a Spider III has had problems with it, mostly the actual amp breaking or having technical problems. Overall, it's just not that good of an amp, and people take a quick look at the effects and decide to buy.

Now, I know what you're thinking: This is coming from a guy with an MG series?

And tbh, I don't blame you. But I was young and foolish when i got the amp, falling for the whole Marshall name reputation. But long story short, Spider III is just not a quality amp.
Quote by entity0009
I once death-metal growled at my mother. Her response was

GENERAL of the ESP Army! I want YOU to Join NOW!
Quote by Psalm 150:4
They sound like a ringtone recorded from a cell phone.

That is a pretty accurate description of some of the tones from it... Over all I find the amp to sound too digital and too harsh no matter how you set it... Setting it is finicky... If you change the amp model thing you have to readjust all of your settings... Its just too difficult to use and sounds bad, imo...
Quote by SPBY
it is the best selling amp in the world and does have some nice features and it is the biggest stocked item at most music stores i've been to. Why does everyone hate it so much?

First, popularity =/= good. Case-and-point; Fallout Boy or Avril Lavigne. Or Beyonce. Or any of the popstars/pop bands lately.

Anyway, I just dislike it because the models tend to be fizzy compared to other modeling amps. If you put effort into it and set up your own presets, it's decent, but I'll take a barebones tube combo over any Spider any day.
THE FORUM UPDATE KILLED THE GRADIENT STAR

Baltimore Orioles: 2014 AL Eastern Division Champions, 2017: 50-54
Baltimore Ravens: 2012 World Champions, 2017: 0-0
2017 NFL Pick 'Em: 0-0
Most people who talk badly about them don't know what they're talking about.
My advice for you is NOT to get the low wattages. The 15 watt sucks. I have 75 watts, it kills any other amps I've seen (besides the pro ones that cost tons of money) but for beginner guitarists, its the perfect amp.
What many people don't get is you can store so many different sounds, you can reproduce the tone of any song. The different sounds you can get is unlimited, and I don't have a clue why anyone wouldn't like it.

EDIT: I read some other posts and you guys obviously never sat down with this amp and figured out how to use it. And yes, the lower watts make it suck, really badly. I've heard some of them and it's painful! My 75 sounds great. And all of you who say it's hard to use.... hell no guys! You can easily store setting to access easily with a stomp pedal or through the amp. I prefer it to most amps. A lot of people also don't know how to use the Overdrive in it and get better sounds, if you read the manual you can pull of some cool sounds no other amp can get.
Last edited by yankovicfan3125 at Jan 6, 2009,
Quote by yankovicfan3125
Most people who talk badly about them don't know what they're talking about.
My advice for you is NOT to get the low wattages. The 15 watt sucks. I have 75 watts, it kills any other amps I've seen (besides the pro ones that cost tons of money) but for beginner guitarists, its the perfect amp.
What many people don't get is you can store so many different sounds, you can reproduce the tone of any song. The different sounds you can get is unlimited, and I don't have a clue why anyone wouldn't like it.

Because the tones from the amp sound digital and crappy, that's why. You might get the general sound of a song you want, but I guarantee you that people with trained ears can easily tell the difference, you will too someday.

Quote by yankovicfan3125
EDIT: I read some other posts and you guys obviously never sat down with this amp and figured out how to use it. And yes, the lower watts make it suck, really badly. I've heard some of them and it's painful! My 75 sounds great. And all of you who say it's hard to use.... hell no guys! You can easily store setting to access easily with a stomp pedal or through the amp. I prefer it to most amps. A lot of people also don't know how to use the Overdrive in it and get better sounds, if you read the manual you can pull of some cool sounds no other amp can get.

No, they're not hard to use and even if you get the best tone possible out of it, it still doesn't compare to a good amp.
Quote by Vincent Vega
Haikus are awesome
Refrigerator

Quote by KissingShadows
Last edited by thsrayas at Jan 6, 2009,
I have a spider II 212 my friend has a spider III 212 although they do sound relly digital thats not always a completely terrible thing. Im not sayin i lik my spider actually now that im not in a band and dont play metal i barely use it but one of the good and bad things about it is that all guitars pretty much sound the same through it u could be playin a crappy 100 dollar squire or a 1000 dollar ibanez ther wont be much of a difference in the sound through it (part of the reason i hate mine now). I was sucked into the effects and the pretty lights on em and in the end gotta say its not worth it there are better amps that i shouldve got instead of the one with the cool light show wen i turn it on lol
Quote by thsrayas
Because the tones from the amp sound digital and crappy, that's why. You might get the general sound of a song you want, but I guarantee you that people with trained ears can easily tell the difference, you will too someday.

No it's not digital. That would be a 15 watt. The more powerful ones get great sound.
Quote by yankovicfan3125
No it's not digital. That would be a 15 watt. The more powerful ones get great sound.

No, they don't. They're still digital, regardless of how big they are.
Quote by Vincent Vega
Haikus are awesome
Refrigerator

Quote by KissingShadows
why oh why do people keep posting these???

inb4close!
Quote by Johansensan
sir, i would like to inform you that you are now my favorite UGer. Not only did you use the word y'all, which is native to my homeland, but you correctly punctuated it using the apostrophe.

Christian Guitarists
A Weekly Devotional
Quote by acdcrocks0323
Play a Vypyr or Line 6 Flextone and you will realize that they are far superior.

True. For the money, I'd still get a Spider 3. I am looking into a new amp though, mostly because I want the raw just plain guitar sound for my band. I'm using the bassist's dad's 20 watt Raven. It's pretty good, I like mine though.
Tried it at guitar center and i really didn't like the tones i got from it. Also, i dont know if it is just me or not, the interface kinda confused me. I would rather do effects by foot, not by turning a knob on the amp.
MyGear
Schecter Hellraiser (EMG 85/81 + 18v mod)
LTD SC-207 with EMG 707
Peavey 6505 Head
Some random Peavey 4x12 slant cab
Boss Chorus Ensemble + Boss DD-3 + Dunlop Crybaby Wah + Boss NS2
Quote by thsrayas
No, they don't. They're still digital, regardless of how big they are.

Yea it's still digital but the sound improves greatly. Go to your local music store and ask to test 15 watt then a 75 watt. You'll see great improvement.
It truly sucks. Ibanez starter kits, Squier Strats and Epiphones sell more than PRS, Gibson Custom Shop, or even instruments in the same price range such as Yahama that are clearly better instruments (build quality, tone etc). Why? Marketing. I'd never be caught dead on stage with an Epi Les Paul, just like I'd never be caught on stage with a Spider III.

Reasons not to like it:
1) Chorus sounds like crap (similar to a Berhinger chorus pedal actually)
2) OD absolutely blows, as do any other distortion effects on it.
3) No usable dynamics (read: if you back off on the volume of your guitar, the amp just become weak, instead of altering the tone).
4) Not worth the money. Why the hell would you spend $200+ on an amp that sounds that bad?
5) Can only use 2 of the built in effects.

There are even more. Regardless, this is an amp aimed at beginners who don't know that they could get better value buying something they'll ACTUALLY be able to use, and keep. Resell values on these things are **** too, so they're just wasted money.

That being said, I have a Spider III 4x12 cab that I use with my Peavey Valveking 100, and it sounds pretty good for the price, and it's not particularly heavy. Of course it's also plywood and thin tolex, with low end Celestion speakers. It's clearly not however an expensive cabinet, and you get what you pay for. If you're looking for a head with value, move on. It's not worth the money because you'll sound like **** using a Spider III head. Get a job and buy something better. Learn delayed gratification.

Now OP, let me ask you this. Why do you like them?
-limefan913

Quote by Chad48309
Quote by The_lizard_king
Originally Posted by The_lizard_king
It really does relieve stress. I was pissed off for a week because I didn't jerk off, so if you quit it you will go mad.
I don't think that's the correct use of the phrase "going mad."
Quote by metalhead_c-1
Tried it at guitar center and i really didn't like the tones i got from it. Also, i dont know if it is just me or not, the interface kinda confused me. I would rather do effects by foot, not by turning a knob on the amp.

you can get a pedal to control all of the effects on it

GUITARS CURRENTLY USED
Ibanez RG7621
Ibanez RG121
ESP LTD H-400
Quote by SPBY
Im taking peoples opinions, not a review

Exactly. Which is why threads like yours end up with people yelling at each other, mudslinging, gear bashing, then the lolz pics, spam and overall waste of time.

Then they get closed.
Quote by yankovicfan3125
My advice for you is NOT to get the low wattages. The 15 watt sucks. I have 75 watts, it kills any other amps I've seen

This is the exact opposite... I know because I at one point owned one... Yes recently... And it was back at GC the next day... At low wattages they dont sound to bad, because they are quiet and muffled so you cant hear much of the tone, however the louder it gets the more able you are to hear the lack of articulation or warmth... Its not even analog circuitry, which can sound really good in amps... Its basically like plugging your guitar through a pedal board directly into a computers cheap sound card... That would sound about the same as the Spider III... The 75 watter is the worst way to spend $300... Im sorry if I hurt anyones feelings with this, but... Its the truth...
Quote by yankovicfan3125
Yea it's still digital but the sound improves greatly. Go to your local music store and ask to test 15 watt then a 75 watt. You'll see great improvement.

I've listened to a 120 watt and there wasn't much of a sound improvement, the only difference was the bass sounded better. It still sounded like an old MIDI keyboard with fizzy distortion and lacked decent tone.
Quote by Vincent Vega
Haikus are awesome
Refrigerator

Quote by KissingShadows
I guess il never beat the bias of 99% of this board and i probably shouldnt bother, but i will.

Spider amps, or any line 6 product for that matter, are not, i repeat NOT plug and play amps to the guitarist looking for good tone out of the box. They EQ much differently than traditional amps, and when you dial in sound you have to dial with what your ears tell you, not the knobs. After struggling myself for the longest time to find good tone out of mine before i desperatly went out and bought pedals and considered tube amps, i have finnally 'tamed the spider' i guess you could say. Im dead serious.

Whether you believe me or not thats your own initiative, But spiders do contain good sounds, and after doing comparisons to a ton of external stompboxes, has much better overdrive/distortion than a standalone pedal, if i may be so bold.

And after all the gigs i have pulled off with my own Spider II and the many many many compliments i have recieved after the show about my tone, well i guess ive got myself convinced and plenty of others that i proved too.

Edit: and by the way, if you didnt understand the point of my post, it is to say that you have to do more than just "try" this amp and do more than spend all of 10 minutes with it before you come to your conclusion, or just jump on the band wagon with the rest of the UG'ers.

Of course im sure il get no constructive response to my post, so you can all save it for the next guy who inquires about a line 6 spider and doesnt remember(Or care really, this is a FORUM) to use the search button.
Last edited by TheCalvinator at Jan 6, 2009,
Quote by limefan913
It truly sucks. Ibanez starter kits, Squier Strats and Epiphones sell more than PRS, Gibson Custom Shop, or even instruments in the same price range such as Yahama that are clearly better instruments.

true, but gibsons/prs guitars are about 10x more expensive then the starter kits...thats another thing...they're starter guitars, people aren't going to start on a prs. That being said, it could be turned around on the spider, it being a starter amp. then again, there are other amps that cost 300 or less or whatever the spiders cost.

GUITARS CURRENTLY USED
Ibanez RG7621
Ibanez RG121
ESP LTD H-400
Quote by thsrayas
I've listened to a 120 watt and there wasn't much of a sound improvement, the only difference was the bass sounded better. It still sounded like an old MIDI keyboard with fizzy distortion and lacked decent tone.

I really think that if all of you hating on it actually learned how to use it and took the time to find some good tones you'd like it a lot more, but if you'd like to follow the stupid trend around here of insulting it, fine. I know it's not the best amp but it's great quality for the price especially beginners, and can be used for really cool sound.
Quote by TheCalvinator
I guess il never beat the bias of 99% of this board and i probably shouldnt bother, but i will.

Spider amps, or any line 6 product for that matter, are not, i repeat NOT plug and play amps to the guitarist looking for good tone out of the box. They EQ much differently than traditional amps, and when you dial in sound you have to dial with what your ears tell you, not the knobs. After struggling myself for the longest time to find good tone out of mine before i desperatly went out and bought pedals and considered tube amps, i have finnally 'tamed the spider' i guess you could say. Im dead serious.

Whether you believe me or not thats your own initiative, But spiders do contain good sounds, and after doing comparisons to a ton of external stompboxes, has much better overdrive/distortion than a standalone pedal, if i may be so bold.

And after all the gigs i have pulled off with my own Spider II and the many many many compliments i have recieved after the show about my tone, well i guess ive got myself convinced and plenty of others that i proved too.

Of course im sure il get no constructive response to my post, so you can all save it for the next guy who inquires about a line 6 spider and doesnt remember(Or care really, this is a FORUM) to use the search button.

Thank you, that is exactly what I'm saying. If you learn it you can get GREAT tone.
Quote by yankovicfan3125
I really think that if all of you hating on it actually learned how to use it and took the time to find some good tones you'd like it a lot more, but if you'd like to follow the stupid trend around here of insulting it, fine. I know it's not the best amp but it's great quality for the price especially beginners, and can be used for really cool sound.

No, it's not great quality for the price. My Blackheart was $50 cheaper than your Spider and the tone blows it away. Granted I don't have any built in effects or modeling, but my amps tone isn't fizzy or digital sounding. It also responds to dynamics and when I change pickups I can actually tell that I changed pickups.

Quote by TheCalvinator

Edit: and by the way, if you didnt understand the point of my post, it is to say that you have to do more than just "try" this amp and do more than spend all of 10 minutes with it before you come to your conclusion, or just jump on the band wagon with the rest of the UG'ers.

I beg to differ, the POD XTL and Flextone I tried had pretty good sounds right away and I'm sure that the Vetta series is even better. Spiders just don't have good tone in general, I've tweaked settings like crazy and still couldn't get a sound that I actually liked. There were usable tones but none of them were good, especially mid gain.
Quote by Vincent Vega
Haikus are awesome
Refrigerator

Quote by KissingShadows
Last edited by thsrayas at Jan 6, 2009,
Quote by 311ZOSOVHJH
Exactly. Which is why threads like yours end up with people yelling at each other, mudslinging, gear bashing, then the lolz pics, spam and overall waste of time.

Then they get closed.

good addition to the thread. I just wanted to know peoples opinions, all of the posts i've read have been more debate-like, than "no you suck, it sucks, your mom sucks" as you might be suggesting...imo

GUITARS CURRENTLY USED
Ibanez RG7621
Ibanez RG121
ESP LTD H-400
Quote by SPBY
all of the posts i've read have been more debate-like, than "no you suck, it sucks, your mom sucks" as you might be suggesting...imo

Give it time...
Quote by thsrayas
No, it's not great quality for the price. My Blackheart was $50 cheaper than your Spider and the tone blows it away. Granted I don't have any built in effects or modeling, but my amps tone isn't fizzy or digital sounding. It also responds to dynamics and when I change pickups I can actually tell that I changed pickups.

I beg to differ, the POD XTL and Flextone I tried had pretty good sounds right away and I'm sure that the Vetta series is even better. Spiders just don't have good tone in general, I've tweaked settings like crazy and still couldn't get a sound that I actually liked. There were usable tones but none of them were good, especially mid gain.

+1 to pretty much all you said.
THE FORUM UPDATE KILLED THE GRADIENT STAR

Baltimore Orioles: 2014 AL Eastern Division Champions, 2017: 50-54
Baltimore Ravens: 2012 World Champions, 2017: 0-0
2017 NFL Pick 'Em: 0-0
Quote by music_mike
Give it time...

all of that crap usually happens within 2 pages...its lasted 2 pages...but, it probably will go down...

GUITARS CURRENTLY USED
Ibanez RG7621
Ibanez RG121
ESP LTD H-400
Quote by TheCalvinator

Perhaps you squeaked a good tone out of it. That might be so, but who wants to spend HOURS fighting with a digital amp, struggling to get it to work (and as someone who's owned many digital effects, including a brief stint with a Spider III, I know). Even the best tones I've ever gotten out of them aren't as good as tube amps, or even my Boss GT-6 into just about anything.

Also: @SPBY: Yes, I know. Hence why I also mentioned the Yahama instruments. Yahama's guitars blow the quality out of many guitars priced twice as high as them (read: Gibson Les Pauls and Fender American Strats...), yet are priced at sub $400 (or the PAC-012 at $169). A Spider III is nothing more than a modeling amp with sub par controls and mediocre tone for beginners (and mediocre is being way to generous depending on who's using the amp). They're popular because they're fairly inexpensive, have pretty lights and promise to make you sound like <insert band here>.

You really, really seem like a PR guy, and trust me when I say you can't put a bow on ****.

EDIT: yankovicfan3125, if you're gotten such amazing tone out of your Spider, please do demonstrate. If it's even remotely competitive with other amps in the same price range (+/- $100), I'll retract everything I've said and blame it on everyone else who I've ever heard using them.
-limefan913

Quote by Chad48309
Quote by The_lizard_king
Originally Posted by The_lizard_king
It really does relieve stress. I was pissed off for a week because I didn't jerk off, so if you quit it you will go mad.
I don't think that's the correct use of the phrase "going mad."
Last edited by limefan913 at Jan 6, 2009,
Page 1 of 5