I got a whammy pedal and I'm having a little bit of trouble correctly using the harmonizing feature aside from the octave setting which is a no brainer. I was wondering if there was a good little guide or video online for proper use of this effect to yield the best results (like have it actually sound normally harmonized and not just funky Tom Morello sounds, if thats possible, nothing against Tom, he's one of my guitar idols, I just want to learn to use it for practical uses as well, once again, if possible)

I also got the 535Q wah and it sounds pretty good but I'm not really sure what I should be doing with it to add flavor to my music. Once again, is there a nice guide or video that just explains some basic wah use?

Thanks,
JWD
Gibson Les Paul Studio Deluxe/Ibanez RGA42/LTD EC401vf
Into:
Whammy IV>Pitchblack>Dunlop 536Q>Fulltone Fulldrive 2>Hardwire TL-2>MXR 10 Band>Line 6 M13
Into:
80s Carvin x100b w/ cab
Have you tried searching youtube?

I don't know if there are any videos there that will answer your question, but it doesnt hurt anything to search.
There are many ways to use the wah pedal. There is the Kirk Hammet way, which is to rock slowly back and forth over a long stream of notes. There is the Jimi Hendrix way of emphasizing notes by pressing the toe down on a bend. Or you could try using it like Jimmy Page and use it as a treble booster for solos. For Whammy harmonizing, just use it for like solos or something (look to some NWOBHM for inspiration).
I've checked youtube and sorts for whammy stuff but its mostly just people playing with the octaves and playing my iron lung by radiohead and rage against the machine/audioslave/white stripes/muse riffs. I can see that one will take more experimenting.

As for the wah, I can hear what people are doing (like the guitarists you mentioned, captainoid) its more about how to actually use the wah. Like the some sort of video that demonstrates proper technique (like dual images of what the person's doing with the wah as they're playing the notes on the guitar so i can see how the motions relate to each other)
Into:
Whammy IV>Pitchblack>Dunlop 536Q>Fulltone Fulldrive 2>Hardwire TL-2>MXR 10 Band>Line 6 M13
Into:
80s Carvin x100b w/ cab
Quote by JWD32792
I've checked youtube and sorts for whammy stuff but its mostly just people playing with the octaves and playing my iron lung by radiohead and rage against the machine/audioslave/white stripes/muse riffs. I can see that one will take more experimenting.

As for the wah, I can hear what people are doing (like the guitarists you mentioned, captainoid) its more about how to actually use the wah. Like the some sort of video that demonstrates proper technique (like dual images of what the person's doing with the wah as they're playing the notes on the guitar so i can see how the motions relate to each other)

Oh, I see. Well, I assume you know how to turn it on (press top end down until a click is heard). As for operation; when the rocker (top end that pivots) is all the way up, all the treble in your tone is cut. As you pivot the rocker forward (toe down) treble is regained and bass is cut. When done in rapid succession, this creates the traditional wah sound.

EDIT: And as for the Whammy, take it from one user to another: There are alot of ways it can be used, and the way you use it is up to your style. The way I did it was just playing some blues improv while going down every function on the list. Makes for fun times and funky sounds!
Last edited by captainoid at Jan 6, 2009,
Yeah I probably just need to find that sound thats right for me but right now it goes from like all bass to all treble based on how it got set (just me fiddling) and its kind of hard to make it sound good with such a broad range. What kind of a range is typically used for just adding more oomph to notes a la hendrix style. I more want it to add some flavor than to just be always a factor like with kirk
Into:
Into:
80s Carvin x100b w/ cab
Quote by JWD32792
Yeah I probably just need to find that sound thats right for me but right now it goes from like all bass to all treble based on how it got set (just me fiddling) and its kind of hard to make it sound good with such a broad range. What kind of a range is typically used for just adding more oomph to notes a la hendrix style. I more want it to add some flavor than to just be always a factor like with kirk

Well, in that case, I would either start rocking the wah a little faster, in order to skim over the entire range, or try putting your wah before your distortion in your signal chain, like Hendrix did. Also, I'm not too familiar with your wah model, but with the 535Q, there should be a knob on the side in order to adjust wah range; try fiddling with the wah itself.
Yeah its in the correct place in my chain if thats the case, is it better to try and find a range thats about at your normal tone but gets more trebley to add to the notes or is it more about the speed of the wah?
Into:
Into:
80s Carvin x100b w/ cab
Quote by JWD32792
Yeah its in the correct place in my chain if thats the case, is it better to try and find a range thats about at your normal tone but gets more trebley to add to the notes or is it more about the speed of the wah?

It's kinda both. The 'snappy sound' relies on three things: the type of wah (vintag voiced), the original amp settings (make them brighter) and the speed (make it faster). The seting of the 'Q' range is up to personal prefernce; I chose the ZW wah because it has a very deep growl to it, instead of the usual snap.
yeah, seems to me that its more of an experimenting thing than anything else. Well we may have a snow day tomorrow, after I knock out my work i think playing with my wah sounds like a good idea :-D Thanks for your help man, I appreciate your help!
Into:
Into:
80s Carvin x100b w/ cab
Quote by JWD32792
yeah, seems to me that its more of an experimenting thing than anything else. Well we may have a snow day tomorrow, after I knock out my work i think playing with my wah sounds like a good idea :-D Thanks for your help man, I appreciate your help!

No worries man, enjoy your Crybaby .