Hey guys,

My band is going to be playing at a local Battle of the Bands next Friday, and we want to come out with a big intro. We want it to be HUGE! Do you guys have any ideas of how we can open the show?

Maybe post some of the bands you've seen and how they've opened. For example-

I saw Van Halen, and they came out, hit cymbals, A chord, blah blah, noise, then absolute quiet into You Really Got Me. Pretty epic!

The rest of the band doesn't really like that approach, so I need UG's ideas!

Any help is greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Oh, background info:

Some songs we are playing probably are:

My Hero- Foo Fighters
Sex Type Thing- STP
Pork and Beans- Weezer
Drain You- Nirvana
Original Metal-ish Song
7 Nation Army- White Stripes
Last edited by GNRjungle87 at Jan 6, 2009,
Coming out with a bang sounds like the best idea to let the people know how well you can interact and get the crowd going. The metal song sounds the best to start with but don't let the crowd get bored.
Gear Wish list:

Gibson Custom Les Paul Left handed

ISP Decimator

Maxon OD808

Peavey 6505 Halfstack

Gear Fund: 0/6000
Have the lights off for the very begining of your set and have them come one when you start playing. Mabye play a cool instrumental intro and go into 7 nation army (everyone knows that song)
Thanks for the responses guys!

Superstrat: I like your idea the best. Similar to what I had in mind actually.

Deanfreak: The metal song is instrumental, so that may not be the best...could bore the crowd right away.

Echoplex: I like your idea too.

I think what we're gonna do (drummer and I talked this over)

Dark set.
Dim light.
I do the Voodoo Child wah intro.
Drum fill into the simple beat for 7 Nation.
Get crowd clapping.
Band goes into 7 nation.

What do you guys think?
dude the stage needs to be dark then BAM you bassist kicks in with a easy rythem then the guitarist plays a sweet lead lick orver it for like 5 seconds do that like twice then turn on thelights
skip the bass intro to seven nation army and play the first verse then make sure you get the crowd to sing along everybody knows the words to that or at least get em to clap out the beat trust you'll kill the crowd if you acknowledge theyr existence or make tem fell like theyr one of the members
I don't know how it would work for your setlist but our first song is called "Technical Difficulty", so we start with the lights off and we make sounds like were just getting ready to go, like plug the guitar in and make that zapping sound, tap the mic a couple of times, tune the E string, the drummer hits the snare a couple times. Then the lead guitarist does some feedback, the drummer hits his sticks a couple times, and the lights turn on right when we all hit the first chord.
Quote by MooshMooshMarc

Hi 5 man! this is what Im talkin bout!

Rig:
05' B.C. Rich Warlock
Line 6 Spide III 75 Watt Combo
Behringer Cry Babe
Digitech Death Metal
Boss DD-3 Digital Delay
Rodam Cables
D'aDarrio XL
Chain for a strap
Quote by hightension01
dude

no band wins battle of the bands with a grip load of Covers
just saying

i know youd think this would be the way, but honestly, music industyis some places is pretty corupt right now, and band comps arnt judged completely fairly, with even little local b.o.b's being rigged for whatever reasons.

"young blood band comp" in coffs harbour year before last was one by a cover band. i admit they were all great musicians. but there was plenty a band there playing their own songs up to the same par.
Very simple.
Have the drummer play an extended version of the opening of My Hero. Eventually the bassist joins in, then lead guitar. When the rhythm guitar comes in, have the house lights go up.
It's kind of pretentious to do if you aren't big enough to warrant an actual light and stage show, but **** it, it sounds like fun.
Quote by hightension01
dude

just saying

So how come the biggest 'battle of the bands' gig out there (X Factor) is all covers?

As for opening a show? Well basicaly there's two ways of doing it, the atmospheric buildup or the sudden explosion of sound. (or you can combine the two, have a buildup, then the sudden explosion)
The sudden explosion route is actualy harder than it seems because you have to be really tight right from the get go or it'll fail to have the desired impact.
Both ways are improved with the lights being dim to start with, but to get this just right you really need to have a) lights (obviously) and b) somone who's familiar with your intro/first song who also has a good sense of timing operating the lights.
It seems to be something really simple, but if you have a regular lighting operator, it's worth rehearsing the intro with him (even if he's just turning on the light in the room you practice in) just to get the timing perfect.

Personaly I prefer the slow atmospheric buildup that suddenly blasts in with an explosion of sound. This buildup can be either something you play or an intro recording of some sort.
A simple and effective way to do it would be to record a sound (any sound will do, from a section of classical music to a simple monotone drone, even birds twittering works and I even know a guy who used a recording he'd secretly made of his parents arguing, the first song started just as his dad shouted 'YOU STUPID BITCH!' at his mum. But if it's something musical, make sure it's in the same key as the beginning of the first song) then get the sound engineer to play it, quietly at first, then slowly build up the volume until somone shouts '1,2,3,4....' then get him to suddenly drop the recording's volume to nothing. (make sure that the intro isn't louder than the band, soundchecks are important for this to work properly)
A good tip is to always have more recorded on your intro than you actualy need, there's nothing worse than something delaying the band starting (maybe someone's shoe lace is undone or the drummer's snare leaver is stuck, whatever, sh!t occasionally does happen) and the intro runs out before the band starts.
Last edited by SlackerBabbath at Jan 7, 2009,
This is what I'd prefer

Darkness
Drum solo
Guitar feedback for several seconds
Metal song

Pure awesomeness.
MY GEAR
Ibanez SA160QM
Laney HCM10
Squier Bullet Strat
MXR Carbon Copy
Zoom Tri Metal
Modtone Flanger(mini)
EHX LPB-1
Korg Pitchblack
Timtone acoustic
Quote by Broken-pick
This is what I'd prefer

Darkness
Drum solo
Metal song

Pure awesomeness.

This is the coolest, never gigged myself though, but it's as you said pure awesomeness
Quote by Broken-pick
This is what I'd prefer

Darkness
Drum solo
Metal song

Pure awesomeness.

this
bro0otal

Drummer

Guitarist___________Bassist________________Vox______________________Lead Guitarist
If you have any songs that are in C maj and have a sort of up beat happy feel.

Intro for Jump by Van Halen (if you have a synth player)
Then play some crazy **** on guitar and drums.
Let the notes ring and go crazy on the cymbols
Start the song

I dunno, I thought it might be cool. Just thought of this on the spot.
Quote by hightension01
dude

just saying

It's not a real battle of the bands. It's just a night for bands to play covers and some orginals and stuff, there's only 3 bands, they're just calling it "battle of the bands."
I think we're going to play some kind of recorded intro, and then we'll go straight into "Detroit Rock City. I'm not sure what intro we'll play though. Are there any good ones out there already?

Quote by SlackerBabbath
So how come the biggest 'battle of the bands' gig out there (X Factor) is all covers?

As for opening a show? Well basicaly there's two ways of doing it, the atmospheric buildup or the sudden explosion of sound. (or you can combine the two, have a buildup, then the sudden explosion)
The sudden explosion route is actualy harder than it seems because you have to be really tight right from the get go or it'll fail to have the desired impact.
Both ways are improved with the lights being dim to start with, but to get this just right you really need to have a) lights (obviously) and b) somone who's familiar with your intro/first song who also has a good sense of timing operating the lights.
It seems to be something really simple, but if you have a regular lighting operator, it's worth rehearsing the intro with him (even if he's just turning on the light in the room you practice in) just to get the timing perfect.

Personaly I prefer the slow atmospheric buildup that suddenly blasts in with an explosion of sound. This buildup can be either something you play or an intro recording of some sort.
A simple and effective way to do it would be to record a sound (any sound will do, from a section of classical music to a simple monotone drone, even birds twittering works and I even know a guy who used a recording he'd secretly made of his parents arguing, the first song started just as his dad shouted 'YOU STUPID BITCH!' at his mum. But if it's something musical, make sure it's in the same key as the beginning of the first song) then get the sound engineer to play it, quietly at first, then slowly build up the volume until somone shouts '1,2,3,4....' then get him to suddenly drop the recording's volume to nothing. (make sure that the intro isn't louder than the band, soundchecks are important for this to work properly)
A good tip is to always have more recorded on your intro than you actualy need, there's nothing worse than something delaying the band starting (maybe someone's shoe lace is undone or the drummer's snare leaver is stuck, whatever, sh!t occasionally does happen) and the intro runs out before the band starts.

Thank you SO much!! This helped a ton, maybe write an article on UG about intros and opening songs, I think that'd be beneficial to a lot of people.
Last edited by GNRjungle87 at Jan 7, 2009,
if you go with 7 natioin army. do what you were talkin about with the voodoo child wah. then the bass. then after the first round or two of the bass line have the lines slowly come on, if this is possible and as they start raising have your singer start singing "ooo o o o ooo o" to the beat of the song all the while gradually getting louder as the lights get brighter then just explode into it. we've done it before and it worked out great
Quote by Superstrat101
Darkness.
Bass intro to White Stripes song.
Huge drum fill.
Lights on.
Song starts.

Oh hell yes. Do this.
Squier Strat (Jazz/JB) - Dunlop Zakk Wylde Crybaby - Boss MIJ HM-2 Distortion - Peavey Valveking 212 - Fender CD60
Quote by GNRjungle87
Thanks for the responses guys!

Superstrat: I like your idea the best. Similar to what I had in mind actually.

Deanfreak: The metal song is instrumental, so that may not be the best...could bore the crowd right away.

Echoplex: I like your idea too.

I think what we're gonna do (drummer and I talked this over)

Dark set.
Dim light.
I do the Voodoo Child wah intro.
Drum fill into the simple beat for 7 Nation.
Get crowd clapping.
Band goes into 7 nation.

What do you guys think?

I think thats cool until you start playing 7 nation right after Voodoo Child intro, I would personally get up and walk out of the building if I heard that intro then have it ruined by going into that crappy song

/rant against White Stripes. lol

If you do not have access to lights (for some of these otherwise cool ass ideas) I would go with something like one of your guitarist starts to do a little solo work and then the rest of the band jumps in on cue and immediately starts the first song.

That way you have their attention and keep it by going straight into a song.
Quote by GNRjungle87

Thank you SO much!! This helped a ton, maybe write an article on UG about intros and opening songs, I think that'd be beneficial to a lot of people.

Anytime bud, yeah, I might just copy, paste and edit my reply to you into my blog ''So you want to be in a band?''
Ok, well, my friend who would've brought and operated a whole lighting system will not be around that day, so we most likely will not have any lights whatsoever...that ruins all the ideas with lights
Quote by GNRjungle87
Ok, well, my friend who would've brought and operated a whole lighting system will not be around that day, so we most likely will not have any lights whatsoever...that ruins all the ideas with lights

Which means it is even more important to get the music right. A decent light show will actualy detract people's attention slightly from your music, so without 'em any mistakes will kinda seem more noticable.
Quote by xEpidemicx
I don't know how it would work for your setlist but our first song is called "Technical Difficulty", so we start with the lights off and we make sounds like were just getting ready to go, like plug the guitar in and make that zapping sound, tap the mic a couple of times, tune the E string, the drummer hits the snare a couple times. Then the lead guitarist does some feedback, the drummer hits his sticks a couple times, and the lights turn on right when we all hit the first chord.

that sounds pretty f*ckin awesome