Im getting better at this but do you guys have any tips/exercises for playing up and down the neck rather than just across the strings in a box form? Thanks!
My Gear:

Fender Aerodyne Stratocaster
NOS Tweed Fender Blues Jr
Boss BD-2
Boss CE-5
Boss CS-3
Dunlop Slash Crybaby
Korg DT-10
Boss BR-600
MXR Script Phase 90
MXR DD-7 Analog Delay

GASing for:
Vox V847
Well, it seems as you've learned your scales as patterns

you need to realize that a scale isn't a pattern, its a collection of notes. Spread all around the fretboard.

Go back and learn the notes of each scale, instead of a box pattern
I kinda already do that. I guess what I wanna do is instead of playing some licks in one box then moving to another, is kinda "mesh" the two. I dont really know how to explain it better but hopefully you get what i mean.

edit:^ alright nice, Ive already started doin that so I guess Im on the right path.
My Gear:

Boss BD-2
Boss CE-5
Boss CS-3
Dunlop Slash Crybaby
Korg DT-10
Boss BR-600
MXR Script Phase 90
MXR DD-7 Analog Delay

GASing for:
Vox V847
Quote by MOOSE_CCR99
I kinda already do that. I guess what I wanna do is instead of playing some licks in one box then moving to another, is kinda "mesh" the two. I dont really know how to explain it better but hopefully you get what i mean.

Slide up to your next note, and youll be at a new "box"....
Take any pattern you're used to playing in a position, then move it up/down 1 diatonic
position and play it there. Do that for a whole octave. Do it on all strings. Do it
with lots of different patterns. That's basically all there is to it, with lots of repetition.

Usually a finger slide is involved, but not always.
Try the "Backwards Modal Approach".
Quote by Metalfreak777
Dude if i were you i'd look more at bands like Dragonforce, Dragonland, Dream Theatre and Power Quest, most of their songs are either in E major, A major, C major or D majhor

Quote by Peaceful Rocker
Well, it seems as you've learned your scales as patterns

you need to realize that a scale isn't a pattern, its a collection of notes. Spread all around the fretboard.

Go back and learn the notes of each scale, instead of a box pattern

There is nothing wrong with being able to see the scales as patterns in fact it's very helpful and does not in anyway take away from a persons ability to realize that they are a collection of notes.

TS, you simply need to learn the other patterns and then connect them.
shred is gaudy music
Practice some 2 1/2 octave runs (for example, E minor starting on E at the 7th fret, 5th string, and ending on the B at the 19th fret on the 1st string). What is cool about this is that because you can't reach the end note in the position you are in, you have to develop
a) the mental process of quickly identifying places you can slide/shift as you ascend the run.
b) the technique to do this cleanly.

And of course there are many options for where during the run you change positions, so practice as many of them as possible. And speaking of sliding, many combos there too - for example sliding with your index and playing the subsequent notes on that string in the new position, or playing the first notes on that string in the first position, then sliding with your pinky before going up to the next string.

Here's another thing that could help. My reason working on this was to work on my pinky's dexterity, but it had a big payoff for my horizontal mobility. I set myself an exercise of improvising in a given key for 10 minutes using only my index and pinky, no other fingers allowed. I was stumbling around the fretboard like a drunk the first time I tried this, but after several times doing it I got the hang of it and actually came up with a few really cool licks that were very out of the box for my normal improvising style. And the side benefit was that in order to do this you are shifting around the fretboard like a mother to find all those index-pinky shapes within the scale.
Thanks guys, Ill definatly try this stuff! btw, i know the scales in all positions, I juts want to be able to utaliize them together smoothly, if that makes sense.
My Gear:

Boss BD-2
Boss CE-5
Boss CS-3
Dunlop Slash Crybaby
Korg DT-10
Boss BR-600
MXR Script Phase 90
MXR DD-7 Analog Delay

GASing for:
Vox V847
Practise shifting from one position of the scale to the next. Make sure you're always doing things using the most economy of motion possible. It looks great to play up the neck rather than across, but if you can get the exact same notes but it takes you less time to get from A to B playing across, then do so. Of course, this also applies the other way around
I kinda already do that. I guess what I wanna do is instead of playing some licks in one box then moving to another, is kinda "mesh" the two. I don't really know how to explain it better but hopefully you get what i mean.

Try this:
learn all scales on one string at a time..then two..etc
use chromatic runs in between scale runs...ex: C D E F F# G G# A B C
then
move that up an octave..use slides or just jump positions...
start the scale from any note...using the chromatic idea...C scale but start it on G# ... try that in as many positions and keys as you can
mix keys: play C scale ascending ... G scale descending starting on C
try this type of thinking with arpeggios...
1 3 5 7 begin a scale with each tone...ex: Ami.. A C E G..play the arpeggio...when you hit the E note start the C scale or any scale from that tone...
integrate runs, melodic ideas and licks you know into this type of thinking

push yourself .. be determined to have fretboard freedom..

play well

wolf